LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » RE: White Fluconazole pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RE: White Fluconazole pill
ArtistDi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know which drug manufacturer makes
a white fluconazole pill (brand name: Diflucan,
which is pink)? I do much better on the white
brand, but Sandoes is no longer making the white
pill.

thanks in advance for any leads.

ArtistDi

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I
googled
and found these manufacturers but no pictures were available.

Maybe a name will sound familiar?

Roxane Pharmaceuticals
Teva Laboratories
Par Pharmaceuticals
Apotex Corporation

I also found a site,"Drugs.com"

Sounds weird but they have a pretty good discussion site AND a site for questions pertaining to alternative things.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks very much for this. What did you google
to get the results?

Artist

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ArtistDi

I am so glad you brought this up because I also feel better on the white one & not as good on the pink one.

My pharmacy changed hands & is now a "Rite Aid" and the last time I picked up my rx for fluconzole it was switched to the pink tab. They told me the pink tabs come from "Iax" and the white ones come from "tiva". Iax is the one "Rite Aid" does business with now.

Since I did feel better on the white tabs so I called & asked if they will order it for me. So will have to see if they can get it for me if not

then I am going to have this rx prescription changed over to another pharmacy that carry's the white pill.

Again thanks so much for posting this. I wasn't absolutley sure about it till I read your post.

Take care
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I googled under, "white fluconazole drug".

It took me to, www.drugs.com...

I think?

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Thanks, Dana.

Do you think it was "Teva"?

I will have to ask my drug compounding company
to see if they can get some more white.

One more thing, with checking around I learned
that Pizer makes a capsule, so that may be a
possibility too.
Di

nannie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nannie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pharmacist had his pharmacy intern research this last week:

Par is no longer manufacturing fluconazole.

sandoz is also unavailable.

Greenestone, Pfizer's generic brand, is not available

Remaining generic brands are manufactured in India

Posts: 183 | From US | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Nannie for the additional info~

Hi ArtistDi

Well, I got the last 10 white pills yesterday in my area. I called 3 different pharmacys and no one will even order the white ones for me.

So I am thinking that maybe I will have to pay for the diflucan pill & skip the generic pink ones. It will probably cost an arm & legg. But I know the pink ones are not working as well for me either. I asked the pharmacy yesterday & they told me the diflucan was a wopping $2 a pill. Ouch! I don't have very good rx coverage.

I wonder is big pharm has this in mind...stop making top qaulity generics & force people to buy the much more exspensive diflucan?
I know that sounds extreamly paranoid but what else could it be?...

According to nannie's post several companys don't don't make the white ones anymore.

Take care
Dana

Ps I think I will try to check out my Canada rx companys now, don't know what else to do

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnymalibu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnymalibu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just filled my first rx for diflucan and got 15 pink oval generic pills made by IVAX Pharmaceuticals. The directions are to take 1/2 pill per day.

Maybe I should look into getting the white pills if they are noticeably more effective. Thanks!

--------------------
sunnymalibu

Posts: 192 | From california | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nannie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nannie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please post the name of the generic brand of the white fluconazole pills.

It might be a good idea to start a list of the generic brands that:

A. patients have had problems with;
B. Patients have had better response to

I will ask my pharmacy for a copy of the different generic brands of fluconazole and the place where each generic brand is manufactured, and try to post this info in the next several days.

In the meantime, if you've had a good or bad response to a particular generic brand of fluconazole, it would help both you and other patients if you:
1. tell your LLMD,
2. and also let your pharmacist know

Posts: 183 | From US | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

It seems no manufacturer is making a white
fluconazale pill anymore. Reason, (from my
pharmacist--is that the generic manufacturers
try to make a generic look like brand name,
so ie, pink like Diflucan). I liked the white
better because no dye, and less for me to react
to. Now I will have to try the pink again.

Darn.

Artist
PS--Had the pharmacist look up Teva, and the pill
is peach, not white.

nannie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5250

Would you be able to get fluconazole compounded for less than the cost of the brand?

Also, did you say that Diflucan, the brand name, cost you $2.00 per pill? What pharmacy? Is that the insurance discounted amount?

My insurance company told the pharmacy that 30 tablets of Diflican- brand, that they would bill my insurance plan $7.83 per pill. Seems awfully steep...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement