LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Port Problems HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Port Problems HELP!
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a hickman central port line. It's made of saline plastic and the end of the line come out of my chest. There is a clamp and a cap at the end.

Four weeks ago I was changing and it got caught on my shirt and I pulled it pretty hard. Blood came to the incision site and I went to the ER.

I made them do X-rays even though they said I was fine. They acted like it was no big deal (just like they always do when I go to the ER) but my chest hurt SO badly.

I made them show me the x-rays too-and everything looked fine. However, I still have a lot of pain in my chest, you can fill where I ripped the breast tissue and now it's starting to bleed again.

It's not a lot of blood, just a little bit, and it's not all the time. But I can't touch the area where it's swollen-it hurts too much. I can feel the tube under my skin.

The port appears to be working fine. I infuse daily with no problems. I guess my concern is that it's still swollen, hurts, and bleeds.

Has this happened to anyone? Should I be concerned? I've had the port for just over a year. With NO problems. I used to wear covaderm dressing because i am allergic to tagaderm and almost all tape.

I don't wear a dressing now because my skin is SO raw, so I don't know if that has something to do with it as well.

Any advice would be great. Both my doctors are aware of the issue.

Lindsay

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only (!) problem the hubby had with his mediport was a blood clot. This was identified by ultrasound and MRI. Symptoms were pain in the port area, swelling from above the port (jugular vein) to below the port (subclavian vein) with pain in his arm and around the port, and fever.

No one -- not the nurses, not the doctor -- caught it until it was really serious and we insisted on an ultrasound.

The line seemed to flush fine, although a little slowly, so line flushing was not a good indicator of problems. He was never able to have blood drawn through the port, but that's not uncommon according to the IV nurses.

I dunno what x-rays would show you -- they're pretty much hard tissue only.

Blood is very irritating, so your pain around the port may be caused by interstitial bleeding. I wouldn't fool around with it though -- I'd ask for an ultrasound or MRI.

I was astounded by how casually and constantly our concerns were dismissed, and how many people missed the major signs.

He has a PICC line now, after the first lot (who inserted the port) said it couldn't be done. A really excellent IV nurse used Ativan (to relax him) and Nitro paste (on the end of the catheter, to dialate the vein) to put in the PICC, 10 minutes total, no muss no fuss, PICC works great.

But because of the clot he has to take Cumadin which is an epic pain and is contraindicated with a bunch of abx and other drugs.

Best of luck.

--------------------

RECIDITE, PLEBES! Gero rem imperialem!
(Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.)

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReneWV
Member # 13476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ReneWV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you have had the central line in awhile your skin adheres and heals against the catheter. You probably pulled loose the tissue from the catheter underneath. That's what hurts, like a fresh paper cut. If the X-ray showed it in the vein/heart area where it's suppose to be then you are fine.It can get dislodged an inch or so and still be in place. The oozing blood is from the tissue underneath that you jerked on. If you are using Heparin flushes, that is a blood thinner and your blood is thinner. As long as your med goes in easy you should be fine. You should do a sterile cleaning of the site and cover it with the clear dressing so germs don't get in !!
Rene RN

Posts: 5 | From West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement