LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Epsom Salt/Baking Soda Detox Bath

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Epsom Salt/Baking Soda Detox Bath
dch1112
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dch1112     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep forgetting to write the quantities down when they are posted, but could someone again tell me the recommendations to use for an Epsom Salt/Baking Soda detox bath?

thanks!

Posts: 136 | From Eastern, Pa | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure hope you aren't sitting around naked waiting for this bath... cause I don't have the answer.

[Eek!]

I'm posting though, to bring this up to the top in the event someone knows.

I do remember the Epsom Salt box I have has directions on it... so maybe the baking soda one would too?

Sorry.. that is the best I can do for you.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually felt a little sick with the Epsom salt baths afterwards, so I've only been taking the baking soda baths. I don't usually measure, and I have no idea what the right amount is, but I generally use about 1-2 cups and the hottest water I can tolerate.

Depending on how toxic I am, I can begin sweating instantly or within about 10-15 minutes - and I can sweat for a good half hour at least.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernCO
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthernCO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read on an epsom salts manufacturer's website that a bath is the best way to take magnesium into the body. Don't know if true, but if it is, it might be possible to take in too much that way. Anyone know? Thanks.
Posts: 175 | From Colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good topic and I'm definitely interested in hearing more about it. I was orginally told to do Epsom Salt with Hydrogen Peroxide in my bath and have to admit that I was so far out of it and passing out by the time I got out, that I've been leary of it since.

Then my doctor said to drop the Hydrogen Peroxide. At the time, I was too sick to ask questions and even harder to even comprehend.

So could someone explain to me the purpose of each of these ingredients in the bath? What is the baking soda suppose to do since that one I haven't ever tried.

Won't be jumping in any baths until I talk to my doctor, but I do like to try to stay informed since right now, I'm using only the epsom salt.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou4656
Member # 10300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou4656     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The recipe is: 2 c. epsom salts, 1 c. baking soda. And it is better if you add some lavendar oil. Take the bath in the hottest water that you can stand and sit for 20 minutes.

This bath is detoxing and very relaxing. If you take the bath right before bed, you will sleep like a baby.

--------------------
LouLou

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto Lou. Plus, I do it after a vigorous (sweaty) aerobic workout (been able to pick that back up since mid-August). It is very effective for me. I try to stay in about 1/2 hour. My symptoms are worse when I don't do it.

onthemend

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt better initially with the Epsom salt baths, but once I got out of the tub, I felt dizzy.

I didn't have that problem with the baking soda. In fact, I felt worse initially with the baking soda bath, but once I got out, I often felt better.

I personally would try baking soda alone, unless you are a glutton for punishment.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could someone please tell me what the purpose of the baking soda is? It sounds like another something to try, but since I had only heard of epsom salt and hydrogen peroxide, I'm intrigued by the baking soda. Thanks.

Cathy

--------------------

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Upon exiting the Epsom bath, I can be a little dizzy too, but I attribute it to the screaming heat I try to use, along with lying in the prone position so long. Don't know if that's right.

otm

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou4656
Member # 10300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou4656     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cathy!

My understanding is that the baking soda neutralizes the acid on your skin, giving your body the ideal PH for healing, detoxing and cellular function. It allows the magnesium in the epsom salts to better do its job.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
LouLou

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The heat can cause vessels to dialate, I think, leading to dizziness.

Also, I have learned that I can lose too much potassium and get weak/dizzy. I cool gradually before I stand, and I have cool water to sip with concentrace in it, and a banana if necessary to get alot of potassium quick.

Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ding dongs..

Please be careful. Hot water can and will cause dizziness. It can be dangerous for some people. Or deadly.

What's ggod for the goose isn't always good for the gander.

If you can soak in cooler than scalding water.. do it. Your pores WILL still open... so hot hot isn't needed.

Be safe.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou4656
Member # 10300

Tincup!! Hey!!

Ding dong? [Big Grin]

I was not talking about scalding yourself. I meant a nice hot bath. If someone can't do that, obviously they shouldn't.

I'll take a twinkie with my ding dong.

--------------------
LouLou

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi dch1112

I used to have a recipe my LLMD gave me. It's 2 cups epsom salt, one cup reg salt, one cup aloe vera juice. I was told to sip on warm water. I ened up sipping on an electro-lite formula drink, which helped a bit.

Don't do them any more because the heat was making me too dizzy & drained feeling
& more nauseated.

Be very very careful not to go too hot. We wouldn't want ya to pass out or anything :0(

From personal experience, I ended up soaking just untill I broke a slight sweat. It worked just as well for me

take care & happy soaking [Smile]
dana

none of the above is medical advise...just my 2 cetns...make sure to talk evrything over first with your LLMD

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Lou,

Thanks for the info on what the baking soda does. I did try epsom salt and baking soda last night. As someone said, it made me tired, but that's probably a good thing.

Tincup,

I would hope that no one is making the water TOO hot. Good advice. I just know that when I have had those bed wetting soaks and soak, I tend to have more trouble with dizziness, than if I'm just doing it at other times no matter what the temperature.

This was a good topic and I appreciate the information on it.

Cathy

--------------------

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The warning about too hot water is a good one. The shock to the body can cause some to have a heart attack.

My exhubby is a police officer and told some really gross stories about finding people dead in the tub. When lifting them out, the skin would fall off their bodies.

I seem to remember that most of the victims were obese so maybe heavyweight people are more at risk?

Just be careful.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement