LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » lyme transmission through saliva

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lyme transmission through saliva
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How often does this happen?

Could you give it to someone, say, by making out with them?

By sneezing? So does this mean the whole world's screwed?

[toilet] [Eek!] [bow]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its just a possibility not confirmed. And I dont think it would be continual thats why I think it is hit and miss with sexual transmission also.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that happened I think we'd see Lyme rashes on the FACE much more often*)!*)!*)!)*! (Yuck!)

I don't htink it happens.

If sexual transmission happens I think it is very rare- like Hep C being sexually transmitted- very very rare- but does happen-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to think it could be sexually transmitted, but now that I'm convinced electromagnetic fields are behind the Lyme epidemic, I'm not so sure.

I honestly think many of us were born with our infections, and that the reason partners often test positive together is because their exposure to electromagnetic fields is similar.

I think if my ex-husband were to be tested, sure, he would show bands, but so would 100 men I did not sleep with, so who do we blame theirs on?

(I'll answer that, too: cell phone towers.)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryOH
Member # 5609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaryOH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what to think. My husband and I both keep testing positive. Maybe we are giving it back and forth to each other. Who knows???
Posts: 20 | From Philadelphia PA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Thoughtful question. It's sure not as easy as it used to be.
I'm not sure what to think.

But here's an ice-breaker: "Hey, babe, wanna share a probiotic shake and then play a little 'kissy face'?"

Unless either one has an active fever or feels under the weather I'd say enjoy being human. Love enhances immune function.

(Edit to add: of course if a relationship blossoms beyond kissy-face, protection would be wise. Still, just the closeness is nice and it's important to have a caring person in your life.)

-

[ 08. November 2007, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaryOH:
I'm not sure what to think. My husband and I both keep testing positive. Maybe we are giving it back and forth to each other. Who knows???

Thats what my wife and i think also.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Lyme doc Dr. C says no. But alas, my husband was diagnosed today with Lyme. I was diagnosed last month. We're really bummed out about it.

I've read that to be on the safe side practice safe sex (condoms) until you are both well.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there would be alot more people with Lyme if it were easily transmitted by kissing & sex.
Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I both have it but got it independently of each other. He had it already when we met, and I got bitten 3 years ago with rash and symptoms to follow.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoadRunner
Member # 380

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RoadRunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1: Rev Infect Dis 1989 Sep-Oct;11 Suppl 6:S1460-9 Related Articles, Books
Epidemiology and clinical similarities of human spirochetal diseases.
Schmid GP.
Division of Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, Georgia 30333.
Lyme disease, first identified in 1975, is the most recently recognized of the seven human spirochetal diseases; the evolving clinical picture of Lyme disease indicates it shares many features with the other diseases. These similarities are striking in view of the diverse epidemiology of the seven diseases, which are caused by Treponema species (spread by human-to-human contact) or Leptospira or Borrelia species (zoonoses). These similarities include the following: (1) skin or mucous membrane as portal of entry; (2) spirochetemia early in the course of disease, with wide dissemination through tissue and body fluid; and (3) one or more subsequent stages of disease, often with intervening latent periods. Lyme disease shares with many spirochetal diseases a tropism for skin and neurologic and cardiovascular manifestations, whereas chronic arthritis is unique to Lyme disease. These similarities and dissimilarities offer opportunities to discover which properties unique to the pathogenic spirochetes are responsible for clinical manifestations and suggest that certain clinical features of patients with spirochetal diseases other than Lyme disease may someday be recognized in patients with Lyme disease.
Publication Types: Review Review, academic
PMID: 2682958 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--------------------
"Beep Beep"

Posts: 2630 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roadrunner...really interesting abstract and a pretty clear answer to this whole transmission question.

Obviously I don't know the answer, but in my time on Lymenet (more than 2 years now), I can't help but notice how this disease runs in families.

And I figure it's not all because people were sitting in fields having picnics. Since it goes cross-generationally, that makes me think there's a way it's transmitted other than sexual contact. Saliva makes sense to me.

All I know is that I'm VERY careful; I wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through what I've experienced.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it can be spread through sex or saliva, than it can probably also

be spread through mosquitoes, flies, & other biting insects. I read

that many other chemicals (immuno-suppressants, etc.) are

released into the person during the time when the tick bites

besides from the spirochete. This is why it is not detected &

eliminated by the immune system. That doesn't happen when

you kiss someone or exchange body fluids. It's always best to be

cautious but I don't think it spreads as easily as something like

herpes or some other STDs. Just my opinion. If it did, more

people would be ill & they would be having fundraisers &

awareness programs like they did when AIDS became prevelent.

Lyme would be a much bigger media issue - for sure.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement