LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lime Green Urine?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lime Green Urine?
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok don't laugh, but the last week my urine has been lime green!

I take no supplement. Any idea why this is happening? No signs of UTI or anything.

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any medications?

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
webmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for webmeg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New vegies? Asparagus?
Posts: 257 | From Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you eating any food or taking any medication with green dye in it? How about any drinks?

I would call my doctor. I have no idea what would cause this. Sorry.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are taking Alaina the will do this
-- Jay
--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't you just add doxy? Did the green urine start around the same time?

I have no idea what could cause it, but you might mention it to your doc that you had just started the doxy, if that was the case.

Hope it clears up soon.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing I can think of. Very odd. Put a call into the doc.

I appreciate all of your thoughts.

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

If you also have any lower GI cramping, constipation or diarahrea, or are iritable or more neurally sensitvie, you might ask for a test to measure excess porphyrins, specifcially

coproporphyria or uroporphyria (porphyria).

In the meantime, if you have any beta carotene, or some orange veggies, see if that makes the color less.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonard
Member # 10531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leonard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You haven't been celebrating St. Patty's day a wee bit early have you?

Leonard

Posts: 43 | From Pella, Iowa | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

I wish!!! [lick]
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm voting 2 on the Urine Porphyrins. There was a famous British King that had this issue, and it turned his urine purple.

I'd go to your doctor or LLMD.

Best wishes,

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peacesoul
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you say no suppliments, but does that include vitamins.
If you're taking any of the vit b's, you're urine will turn that color

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking the same thing, Peacesoul -- the B vitamins.
Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
B-vitamins usually make urine bright yellow, but depending upon what I'm eating (asparagus?), sometimes it may have a light green tinge to it.

=============================

Of all the porphyrias, green urine may be just one indicator of Coproporphyria or uroporphyria.

Porphyria can turn urine different colors depending upon which type of porphyria. There are at least eleven types. Porphyria can be quite serious in regards to the liver's ablility to detox to the body. Porphryia can exist without urine turning colors, however. It is just one symptom of many.

===========================
http://www.cpf-inc.ca/

CANADIAN PORPHYRIA FOUNDATION

Call (in Canada) 204-476-2800 or toll-free at 1-866-476-2801

They have a fabulous Doctor's Guide to Medication in Acute Porphyria.

===================================

www.porphyriafoundation.com/ Another great site.

The American Porphyria Foundation (APF) is dedicated to improving the health and well-being of individuals and families affected by porphyria.

===============================

http://tinyurl.com/yozppd

This article includes information about secondary porphyria in chronic infection. from ImmuneSupport.com's site.

======================================

One drug may be safe for the general population, but that same drug can be dangerous, even fatal, IF a patient has any number of types of porphyria (which can be genetic, latent or acquired from chemical/drug exposure over time and sometimes called "secondary porphyria").

Infections can also damage the liver and cause porphyria, However, it is imperative to treat infections promptly. (I just roll my eyes at that as if most of us ever had a chance at that one!)

Knowing which drugs to use is key.

Porphrygenic drugs usually use the detox pathway Cytochrome P-450. Certain dietary practices can also stress the C P-450 pathway, such as alcohol. Problems processes proteins are frequent so red meats, in some patients, are avoided.

Being sure the gallbladder is moving stuff through and taking Beta Carotene can help, but if one suspects any type of porphyria it is wise to get expert diagnosis.

Family members, too, should be tested if porphryia is suspected to be genetic. This can literally save a life, especially in an emergency situation or surgery.

Testing usually involves testing urine, blood and stool as the various porphyrins are not present in any one of those alone.
Keep LIGHT AWAY FROM sample is vital. Wrapping in foil, etc.
or whatever guidelines from the Porphyria Foundations above.
Test may have come a long way in ten years since I did this, but the importance of diagnosis remains the same.

-

[ 12. November 2007, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

A term in the title of abstract below, is Iatrogenic Disease. It is defined as a disease that is caused by medical treatment.

www.yourmedicaldetective.com/public/335.cfm

====================================

PubMed Search: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

Search for : green+urine yields 21 abstracts on 2 pages

Here is just one interesting abstract:

http://tinyurl.com/38897m

Rinsho Shinkeigaku. 2003 Nov;43(11):866-9.Links

[SMON--a model of the iatrogenic disease] [Article in Japanese]
Takasu T.

Excerpts:

Attention paid by clinicians to a polyneuropathy-like syndrome that complicated an uncontrollable hemorrhagic diarrhea (1958) and an encephalomyelitis or a paralysis of the lower half of the body associated with diarrhea or other bowel symptoms (1960, 1961) started the recognition of a new disease.

The discovery of the green urine in SMON patients by A. Igata, M. Hasebe and T. Tsuji (May 1970) especially facilitated the identification of the green substance in SMON that was achieved by M. Yoshioka and Z. Tamura (June 1970). The green color was derived from a chelate compound of clioquinol with ferric iron..

. . . the neurological disorders of patients who were diagnosed as SMON for the most part were caused by taking clioquinol (March 1972).
-
=======================================

Clioquinol is an antifungal drug and antiprotozoal drug. It is neurotoxic in large doses. It is a member of a family of drugs called hydroxyquinolines which ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clioquinol

-

[ 12. November 2007, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a strong supplement of B complex and my urine turned a bright flourescent yellow-green immediately. I cut the dose in half, and still there. Then it started to hurt when urinating. Cut to 1/4 tablet a day, still hurt and flouresecent yellow/green. Did this for weeks. Then got prostatitis pretty bad. Quit the vitamin B, took low dose of Amoxycillin for three weeks, and prostatis got better.

Have not gone back to Vitamin B tabs and probably won't.

Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:

http://tinyurl.com/yozppd

This article includes information about secondary porphyria in chronic infection.
from ImmuneSupport.com's site.

Chlamydia Pneumoniae in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia

Keebler, I just read this article.

This is stunning.

Chlamydia Pneumoniae has been found to be a cause of chronic fatigue (which I have) and the description of its life cycle, the antibiotics needed to eradicate it, the reactions to the antibiotics --- all this is so close in appearance to Lyme, it is uncanny.

In fact, if you read it and mentally substitute Lyme wherever Chlamydia Pneumonia (Cpn) is mentioned, you'll see what I mean.

Even when you get down to the part about Melatonin.
Marnie needs to see this.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend that I met originally through lymenet and she has been studying this concept. I had done some reading on it, but I've not read anything that compares to this write up.

Wow, I hope many others will post their info on this possibility for many of us.

Great reading, thanks for posting this url.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to respond to merrygirl I got so into the urls attached. I remember 4 yrs ago when I started doing detox baths. I was told that the water would turn colors grays and other mucky colors. It was according to what your body would release.

I was totally shocked when my water turned from brownish gray to bright lime green. It freaked me out. I even called my husband into the bathroom to see the color. They are not as bright lime green any more. Sometimes more than others.

I've been doing chlorella the last several weeks and of course the first few days my urine was green from it, but no longer.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Thanks for all your responses. I dont take any vitamins.

I have to admit I am having trouble wrapping my head around the Urine Porphyrins-

I am not sure why. I can't seem to make sense of it. I am going to read the URL's and see if it makes more sense.

I see my pcp tomorrow. He is probably going to think I am nuts!
Melissa

canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Maggie,

I was just researching Methocarbamol (marketed as "Robax"), which is a muscle relaxant, and came across this:

"What side effects can this medication cause? Methocarbamol may cause side effects. Methocarbamol may cause your urine to turn black, blue, or green. However, this effect is harmless. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away" [etc.]

You don't happen to be taking Robax, are you?

Best wishes, and for your duck appt.,

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

First, I'm assuming lime green is sort of bright and not just a tinge from lots of asparagus. Even if from B-vitamins, urine is usually bright yellow, not green.

Sometimes, even the color of the capsules can do this, though, from the food coloring. If you moisten your fingers and play with the capsule, does the color come off? If it's BLUE or green, it can turn your urine green.

Any other foods with dye? Any new solutions used in your toilet to affect a color change from that?

If urine turns a color from ANY medication, it could be a normal thing for the majority of those taking that particular medicine and it will all clear up when it is discontinued. Please go through all the meds, etc. and ask your doctor if this is what others USUALLY experience.

Even if it happes to others now and then, it might ALSO be due to one of the porphyrias.

I cannot stress enough the importance of this.

If someone has porphyria and it goes undiagnosed, a fatal occurance could happen down the line with other medicines.

It has happened. It does happen. And if not fatal, cell death is the result of not addressing it. Neural cell death. That's hard to live with.

Family members who may have latent porphryria might also have fatal outcomes from medicines in the future if not warned of a genetic possibility. This is the time to find out.

Please check out the sites above and ask your doctor about this.
If your doctor thinks your nuts, then he's a idiot. There may be a logical and easy explanation, but porphyria causes many deaths each year because doctors have not learned about it.

Good luck. I hope you are greeted by your doctor with appreciation for desiring the truth so that you can be safe.

========

Just one abstract from PubMed.

AANA J. 1978 Jun;46(3):271-81.
Anesthesia and the porphyrias.

Larter RA.

The porphyrias are a result of disordered heme metabolism. The sequelae are related to the accumulation of precursors and/or their metabolism. Induced drug metabolism can lead to acute attacks and may result in fatalities.

Careful selection of intravenous agents, absolute avoidance of barbiturates, and use of inhalation agents can enable the anesthetist to administer safe anesthesia to these endangered patients.

PMID: 716818 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

===========

Another important question: Do you have new gas furnace or a new gas stove? If you have gas furnace/ stove, are you ventilating properly before each time you use stove. Do you clear the air in your home, especially from the upper level each day?

Have you taken any steroids ? Pills for sedation? Certain classes of those affect the C P-450 pathway.

Do you have new carpet, new vinyl floor new furniture or cabinets, fresh paint, a new car, new perfumes ?

Sterno fondue or chafing dishes, cleaning products, has your car recently been detailed ? Deisel exhaust fumes from vehicles in front of you at stop lights ?

Are you using non-stick cookware? If so, ventilation while it heats up is good for everyone as it off-gases even at low heat.

Any exposure to lawn or pest control chemicals? Chlorine such as in a swimming pool or hot tub? If you usually are in chlorine, have the products recently been changed? Even smelling chlorine can trigger porphyria.

Just as chemicals can contribute to porphyria so can mold, if you have an on-going or new exposure to molds.

Fasting, a low-calorie or low-carbohydrate diet can also trigger an attack in someone with porphria.

Most porphyrias are written up as acute, and testing at times other than during an attack may prove fruitless.

However, the doctor who dx me, and the author of the article detailing "secondary porphyria" recognize the chronic nature of it as well, one which produces many of the syptoms of chronic infections and, if chronic infections are present, requires special selection of meds.

sorry this is so long. it is very complex yet important.

Good luck.

-

[ 13. November 2007, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would bring something in that is the color of your urine, so the doctor can see the actual color.

And, just to cover bases, has the urine been green in more than one toilet? If it's just one toilet, or just at home, any chance it is actually a new cleaning product reacting with the urine?

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement