LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Super Stiff Neck

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super Stiff Neck
YorktownNL
Member # 7657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YorktownNL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing pretty well and haven't posted for a while but lately my crickety neck has gotten much worse. My neck at times pops and cackles when I turn my head. My llmd says its inflamation. Neck xray and MRI were normal.

Lately, the popping has gotten really loud and almost painful if that makes sense. Once it cracks, the stiffness subsides and some lyme symptoms subside like headache and occasional heart palpitations.

The last two weeks, when I lay down at night, pressure builds until a major pop or two and then I can sleep. My back pain has been worse too.

I have WA1 and lyme. I see my llmd today and will discuss. I can recall in the final two of six months on Rocephin having back issues and the neck popping being one symptom that did not resolve.

Anyone experience this? How to get past? Is this lyme relapse or WA1.

Thanks, Mike

Posts: 87 | From Yorktown VA USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

Maybe a chiropractor could help? It could be that there is an alignment problem that is making the symptom worse.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, friend!!

Well.

Your MRI was normal? Starting when??? [Big Grin]

If you otherwise are feeling OK, maybe see a chiropractor. Also, people on here speak very favorably about a thing called 'craniosacral massage' -- maybe worth a try.

Couldn't hurt to run another WA-1 titre through Sonoma County, either, while you're loafin.

Just to be on the safe side, y'know.

You've come too far to slide back!!! Let's don't take any chances!!!

Hugs - a BUNCHA 'em,

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have lived with a chronic stiff neck ever since my original lyme bite in 1995. Chiropractors were a great help originally. I think because my original chiropractor used a machine to stiffen and relax my muscles. My current chiropractor does not and he was unable to relieve my pain at all. X-rays were normal.

What works for me now is rebounding and massage.

My neck is almost normal range of motion as long as I keep both the rebounding and the massage going. Not all massage therapists are equal. Mine does a deep massage, going in and popping lactic acid knots in my shoulders. I sound like bubble wrap when she does this.

Rather than being a skeletal issue, it appears to be more of a muscle issue and yes, my neck when stiff really creaks and pops. A good massage to loosen the muscles takes care of it completely. Working in front of a computer all day makes it worse.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would see a chiropractor. I have used them in the past and they are a huge help. It might take a couple of adjustments to get it to "hold".

All your nerves go through your spine, so if it's out of adjustment, it can cause a lot of trouble.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see both a chiropractor and a physical therapist. The chiro helps with spinal stuff, but I get the most neck relief from cranio-sacral therapy, or myofascial release from the PT.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy,

I had severe muscle pain on my right side, especially at my neck-shoulder-head (into my head, behind my ear.) My neck and shoulder were very stiff. I could hardly turn my head.

My neck didn't "pop", however it creaked and cracked more then than now. My head hung out to the right and down. The problem (besides Lyme which I didn't know I had) was that my head was misaligned to my spine.

It caused body-wide muskuloskeletal trouble.

People can still have this but not be as obviously out of alighnment as I was.

First: I had over 62 "myofascial trigger points" on the right side of my body, especially at my neck and shoulders. You can tell if that's part of a painful muscle problem if you stretch (ie up to a microwave) and soon (within a couple days) you get referred pain.

In addition, it cause a locked shoulder--on top of Lyme pain in my muscles!

You might check-out The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook, by Claire and Amber Davies--you may find it at your library. That is an excellent book--far and away the best book.

If you have trigger points with Lyme you may very well need a really, really good myofascial therapist. Suggestion: interview to pick the best you can get!

He suggested I also see an atlas orthogonal chiropractor because my right leg was a full inch shorter than my left. Just lay down flat--no pillow--and have someone check the length of your legs.

If they are off even by a little bit, that'll affect your immune system and GI tract, your posture and more. At the least it means your body is stressing. That's how you know that you need to be properly assessed.

It was essential that I got this done before treatment for Lyme, so that the medicines would work in partnership with my immune system.

Could this cause popping? I don't know.

This is a high-tech type of chiroprator. They use an accoustic wave to realign you in a major way. It's completely gentle, absolutely no pain. Made me think of Star Trek Voyager!

This is something relatively new. To find one near you go to www.atlasorthogonality.com

Atleast where I live, the special chiroprater charges $35 to assess someone to see if she thinks she can help you.

How did I get so discombbbbbbbulated? Well, I had lyme in my muscles. I was tired. Lyme can cause atrophied muscles. Sound familiar? Your neck and shoulder muscles may not be able to hold your head in place if they are atrophied.

This is a problem of C-1 and C-2.

Just wondering if this could be your trouble. Or perhaps it will help someone else.

Good luck!

Daise [spinning smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used two different chiros. The first didn't do much good.

The second used myofascial release and Active Release Techniques.

That was helpful, but her office couldn't figure out the billing and each time I got charged a different amount.

I couldn't afford to be paying all that $$ out of pocket, so I stopped seeing her.

I have been using massage therapy for the past 6 years and it's been a real help for me.

I went once a week for the first few years, but due to a reduction in income I now can only afford every other week.

I feel soooo much better after our sessions! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement