LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone do better with amoxicillin than doxy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone do better with amoxicillin than doxy?
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe I have seen better results with amoxicillin than doxy throughout my treatment so far. My llmd just took me off the amoxy to start limited cowden and doxy. I have only been off the amoxy for a week and feel worse. I am starting doxy soon so hopefully I will feel better this time.
Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know the answer to yor question, sorry. I know that I herx much harder on amoxicillin then on Ceftin. Ceftin did nothing for me, no herx at all, or very little. But if I take amoxicillin it knocks me on my butt! No idea why??

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes Art Doherty went into full remission with high dose amoxicillin and did better with it than Doxy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thread. My LLMD started me on amoxicillin. The full dose is 1000mg 4xdaily. I started on 500 4xdaily, but herxed on the 5th day. I stopped for a few days and then worked my way up to 500 3xdaily but herxed badly again on day 5.

Amoxy users, how much were you taking? What did you do for the herx? Did you slowly work up to your full dose?

Were you taking probiotics? Nystatin?

I've been taking Cumanda 15drops/twice daily for over a month. It took me 3 months to work up to that dose. I started banderol drops and can work my way up to 5 drops before I herx badly. I was taking cumanda along with the amoxy.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who is sensitive to amoxy. Is it worth it to stay on it and build slowly to the full dose?

Thanks for your input.

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on amoxy for five months. I took 2500 mg 3 times daily. I had to ramp up and herxed badly each time I increased the dosage. I took it through the herx.

I found it a very difficult drug and feel better off it, though I do think I made good progress on it.

I'm now on Mino and doing better .... but the same time I startd Mino, I also startd Bart treatment, so it could be reducing the Bart that is making me feel better.

I do take Nystatin. I drank lemon water for the herxes. I also focus on detox.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on both. Honestly, I worked up to the full dose in about 1 week. I did not experience any sort of herx. My symptoms were 90% gone in 2 weeks. I am still on both and have been for about 6 weeks. I take nystatin and probiotics as well.

Lily

Posts: 219 | From Florida | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The very first med my LLMD put me on was Amoxy. I've been on treatment just a bit over a year and I still have yet to have been given Doxy, although I know that I expected it since it sounded like most start with it when I was first reading the boards.

I only took it for the first 6 weeks since my doctor swapped over to treating bart and then to babs so I can't relate to how one would be compared to the other.

Sadly, I think no two people seem to respond the same to the same meds and it's still a lot of trial and error on what will work for each of us individually.

I do hope that you find the answers you are searching for and that you can get on a good path of recovery.

And yes, don't forget the probiotics, no matter what abx you take.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started at 3000 mg of amoxy per day and did that for 6 months. I have been having abdominal pain just under the right rib in the gallbladder area. I just stopped the amoxy last week since llmd wants me to try doxy and cumanda/burbur.

The funny thing is 2 days after stopping, the pain started to go away. I went for an ultrasound of all the organs in that area and it came back normal.

I have taken doxy for long periods of time in the past and it didnt get me as far as the amoxy. I am already starting to have the neuro symptoms come back along with he neck pain and stuff. I will be starting doxy today so we will see.

Oh and I always take probiotics among other things. And I have been on a very strict diet for 6 months or so. I eat gluten free, all organic, no or very very little sugar, no fake or pocessed anything etc etc... I must say that the diet alone has given me good results overall.

Well thaks for the replies..

Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do best on herbs only.

I tried doxy with herbs and felt worse.

I can take Amoxicillin better than doxy, but only take at low doses like 250mg, two times a day. Plus I still kept taking my herbs. I stayed short term on all of them, except the herbs, which I have taken for almost two years now.

Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both gave me improvement; doxy gave me quite rapid improvement at 400mg/day from some neuro symptoms, and high-dose amoxy helped with all symptoms as well. I guess it depends on your strain of bacteria, and any possible resistance, though in my experience some llmds doubt that resistance occurs.
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement