LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » what can i do now - herbs, supplements, anything?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what can i do now - herbs, supplements, anything?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't know what to do now. i know my symptoms are getting worse -- i'm wired and can't sleep, even with the elavil. my eyes twitch at night really bad, and now my right hand is burning someting fierce and my feet hurt!!

oh yeah, the colonscopy and biopsy was completely normal!!

i wish he would give me more flagyl but he won't. he said absolutely no antibiotics since my system just can't handle them anymore. i guess because i am at risk to get serious c. difficle the next time.

i've got to treat lyme, but what in the heck do i do if i can't take antibiotics and i'm afraid of herbs now?

is there something that i can use that starts out really, really slow but will work? how about resveratrol or something? cat's claw?

it's got to be something my system will tolerate and won't wreck havoc on my intestines...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you been tested for food sensitivities?

I highly recommend the gluten/soy/dairy/sugar free diet. I am really impressed at how just a change of diet has soothed my colon.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"i wish he would give me more flagyl but he won't. he said absolutely no antibiotics since my system just can't handle them anymore. i guess because i am at risk to get serious c. difficle the next time."

I am confused...he wont give you flagyl cuz you could develope c diff? I took flagyl to treat cdiff so that doesnt make much sense to me.

If "my system just can't handle them" was refferring to a huge bad herx then i understand that but there are lots of different abx.

I think cobwebs did you get tested for food senstivities? is a good idea.

they did a colonoscopy but what about an endoscopy or bloodtest for celiac disease?

Do you just have lyme or coinfection(S) as well... sorry i cant remember right now.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi, this "he" you refer to -- he's a duck, right? Not an LLMD?

Therein may lie the problem.

As Azure points out, Flagyl treats c. diff.

In any event, I thought it turned out you DIDN'T have c. diff?

There are many, many options -- if you're dealing with an LLMD.

Ducks will use any excuse to avoid antibiotics, in my opinion. Unless you have something REALLY bad, like, for example, acne. [bonk]

An LLMD might try different things till one worked. Or IM Bicillin shots. Lotsa stuff left to try. Don't give up. Find a good doctor!!

Hugs,

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Cobweb and Azure.

If it were me (and it was at one point) I'd get tested for food sensitivities and other digestive issues.

If this isn't the right time for all those tests, you can start with eliminating the main ofenders: wheat/gluten, dairy, soy, yeast, corn, sugar.

It's a bit of a challenging diet, but there was a time, pre-lyme diagnosis, when it changed my life entirely, and put me into lyme remission (although I still didn't know that lyme was lurking in the background.)

There was a time when I had a list of things I could eat, rather than a list of things I couldn't. Now I can eat almost anything again.

You may need to take hydrochloric acid and or digestive enzymes to help you assimilate your food as well.

I'd work with a good naturopath or holistic dietician, rather than trying to self treat on something this complex.

Above all, don't forget the probiotics. You can alternate this with caprylic acid and some other things, if you think you have yeast. If you do, be prepared, it can make you feel pretty rotten.

My philosophy is that you have to start with being able to digest good nutrition in your body in order to make your immune system work.

The immune system has to be able to kick in to finish the job that abx starts.

If you want to try an elimination diet, I think you'll get lots of good support around here.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle M:
Ducks will use any excuse to avoid antibiotics, in my opinion. Unless you have something REALLY bad, like, for example, acne.

Boy, you got that right! [rant]

randi...Stop eating gluten and see how you feel. You could feel tons better in one week!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Michelle: Right--acne! But not Lyme. All too true. It's a crazy world we live in.

Randibear: I agree with everything everyone has said--except food sensitivities. I don't know much about that. Guess I'm lucky not to--apparently--have those.

Do you have an actual, real, live LLMD? It sounds like maybe your current doc is putting you off. That's common. That happened to me with a lot of docs.

Yes--flagyl is the first treatment of choice for c. difficile.

LA Bicillin intramuscular shots are a natural antibiotic that doesn't get processed in the GI tract. I got rid of c. diff by taking 2 - 10 days courses of Flagyl, then 15 days of vancomycin.

My bicillin shots had been stopped, but I got another PCP and started taking LA Bicillin shots again with oral vancomycin and I got rid of c. diff--while taking LA Bicillin!

Bicillin gives raucous herx's of 6 1/2 weeks or more (they overlap.) I got these with a big smile on my face because I knew something was being killed off!

Herx's (unless they are really too much for you to handle, something an LLMD can help you with) are a wonderful thing. I still herx on Bicillin, now 7-12 days each month and it's not as intense. Hurray! I feel a whole lot better.

You got herx's on flagyl: something is being killed off: Lyme!

One thing about Bicillin shots. You can give them to yourself (and there's good instruction about that in the search files at Lymenet.)

Or you might find a friend, family member or even a nurse who is a friend, to give them to you. Or a nurse in a doctors office--although,the copays may be rough, for instance, I need 3 shots a week, 1.2 million units each. There may be ways to cope with getting copays paid for.

A doctors office needs to order the Bicillin, if they give the shots. But you can order it yourself (with insurance approval) and pick it up at a pharmacy, if a friend gives you shots.

With any antibiotic(s): a few or several good, viable brands of probiotics daily. Maybe also an antifungal, like Nystatin. That also helps prevent c. Diff! (Along with boulardii.)

You mentioned supplements and herbs. Herbs, I've found, are often specific to what your signs and symptoms are.

The very most basic supplements I suggest are mercury-free fish oil gelcaps--several, magnesium malate (about 450 mg) and a good quality multiple, plus 50 mg B-complex. There is a good list of supplements (I bought locally) at www.ILADS.org, left menu "Treatment Guidelines," then Dr. Burrascano's 33 pages of tips for 2005.

How to get an LLMD paid for. Hmmmmm. Here's what I did: I got a nurse case manager with my insurance company. See your insurance booklet. If you get one, they're job, usually, is to be on your side. They arrange testing. They coordinate care with doctors. They set things up. Who do they know who knows about Lyme in their company? Will they pay for an LLMD?

Who's your insurance company, Randi? Here's where local Lyme support people can be invaluable. Have you been to the home page for this website? Look on the left menu for support groups.

Don't back down with the insurance company and fax Dr. Burrascano's 33 pages: show them that you know your stuff. Also, within that, is a form to fill-out for all your signs and symptoms: fax that form too, so the nurse case manager has it in-hand.

Or, will they pay for consultation with an LLMD, by phone? By phone was my route and it worked out beautifully.

It was a PCP who administered my treatment, according to a one page treatment recommendation from the consulting LLMD.

For sleep I used Enzymatic Therapy Revitalizing Sleep Formula for over 2 1/2 years. You need to experiment for the right dose for you, for 4 days. Then ask yourself how you feel first thing in the morning. Are you dwelling on your illness or anything else--like money you DON'T HAVE? You need a higher dose.

Do you feel better in the morning? That's the key.

There was a sense of "well being, getting better," with my dose. It allowed me deep sleep--4th stage healing sleep. I used it for over 2 1/2 years and just recently I found I don't need it anymore!

When Herxing I also used Source Naturals Melatonin in liquid or spary (pills don't work.)

I listen to an ocean wave and whale song DVD or jungle sounds as I'm drifting off. I cover my eyes with a sort of black ribbing head band, due to security lights, from outside.

Hang in there ... Hang in there ...

Daise

sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to know there are so many good people out there with advice to give!!! I wish we could say the same about the doctors.
Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i guess i didn't make myself very clear on that post.

1. this doctor is my gastro doctor.

2. he won't give me flagyl again because he said it's not necessary and one round cures c. difficile. he said most cases are treated with two weeks of flagyl and it's unusual to have to go for another two weeks. he said no more antibiotics because i am at great risk for developing another case of c.difficile. (i made it sound like he said flagyl caused c. difficile, that's not what i meant,sorry) even tho i did test negative, he said it was not unusual to test negative and still have it. all my symptoms were classic of c. difficile or antibiotic induced colitis both which are treated with flagyl.

3. i had tons of tests, biopsies, parasites, etc., all normal.

4. i have not had any food sensitivities, except he took me off all diary. he said many older patients cannot tolerate dairy products.

5. i don't have a llmd and can't travel out of state. don't even mention this. for me, i am not strong enough to battle the situation at home because i go out of state. it's bad enough to just have a doctor's appt, and catch holy hell, than go out of state.

6. i am taking digestive enzymes, and he gave me elavil low dose which is supposed to calm the digestive system, and prilosec and ultram for pain. the elavil and prilosec seem to be helping some. i haven't taken the ultram.

7. i am taking critical care probiotics every day and i like them. it has 50 million in it and seems to be good.

i'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired and not being able to tolerate anything.

the flagyl was the only drug which really worked for me and i've taken just about everything on the market including biaxin. i did get a tremendous herx, in fact, the migraine just put me down, but after that, my head was clearing, my face stopped twitching and i was sleeping better.

i have an appt on monday and i'm going to try and convince him to give me at least one more round of flagyl. it can't hurt.

the least he can say is no....

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Randibear,

You're going back to ask for more flagyl. Good for you. Sometimes when I get in a docs "hair," that's when they may do things--prescribe things I want--just to get rid of me!

Persistence!

Also, you're in Texas. Are you aware that some Lyme patients self-medicate by getting antibiotics across the border? Perhaps a friend could make a run, for you?

A Mexican pharmacist there may help, if they can take a look at your medical records. And if they have Lyme antibiotic information. (For example, Dr. Burrascano's antibiotic information at ILADS.)

Daise. [Razz]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gluten intolerance is not a "food sensitivity"... try it.

As for Mexico... That works! [though I will say this for the benefit of those unfamiliar with how far that is for randi....It's several hundred miles, depending on which route she would take.]

The best bet would be to ask someone who's going there to bring some back.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

i'm in fort worth and the closest would be laredo (which is on the embassy no visit list for americans -- too dangerous).

el paso is more than i'd say 500 miles. that's a no go too.

--------------------

bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to order meds, you can google offshore pharmacies. You can get generics of many things without prescriptions.

But warning, if you don't know for sure what you are dealing with, it can sure be dangerous to play the self-medication game.

You don't want to create super bugs or some such thing, or get elivated liver enzymes that can cause big big problems.

Also, there's no telling for sure the quality of the generics. Some from India are approved for import to the US and are sold in Rite-Aid. Others, especially those from China can be pretty iffy.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear, for what it's worth, I've been sitting with a heating pad to my gut the past two days. Helps a tiny bit.

Aloe juice and slippery elm tea have helped me too.

You could try raw garlic.

I can't tolerate peppermint or chammomile for some reason but they say that is good for the gut too.

Just a few ideas in the meantime to relieve some of the stress.

Oh, and I've been trying the valerian root tincture at night to help me process getting to sleep and so far, it is actually helpful.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

and L-glutamine...Take on an empty stomach.

Google "leaky gut syndrome" and do some of the things suggested there.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know your situation, but I have difficulty recommending any treatment to a person who isn't under the care of a doctor.

I do know at least one person who has done very well on the Cowden protocol, which is herbs. It's not cheap.

Is there any possibility of working with a naturopath or similar in your area? Even if not lyme literate, somebody who is open to alternative medicine and would be at least willing to monitor an herbal treatment? It could be cheaper than an LLMD.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for all that you have gone through lately, Randi.

Isn't the C***** Protocol doc located in Ft. Worth?

Someone mentioned aloe vera, which can be very soothing, healing, and helpful with irritated and inflamed GI problems. Caution, though, as can produce a laxative-type effect which may the opposite of what you want.

Randi, the only other thing I can suggest is homeopathy, at least just long enough to heal your gut so you can do the type of treatment you want. As you may know, with homeopathy, there is really nothing going into your GI tract. The remedies are extremely high dilutions of various substances, either administered as tiny tablets that go under the tongue, or the tablets are dissolved in water and a small sip is a ``dose''.

I wish I knew someone in your area to recommend to help you through this GI situation. However, all I can do is provide you with some homeopathic directories, which I will be happy to do if you want those.

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

I like Aniek's suggestion of finding a naturopath. Most naturopaths are open to understanding lyme.

My naturopath diagnosed my lyme, when the variety of doctors I have seen over the years just shrugged.

They will probably know the most about how to get your digestive system back in order, anyway.

Good luck. I'm hoping you'll get some relief soon. You are worth it. You deserve to get all the help you need, even if you live with a skeptic.

--------------------
bejoy!

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto on the 'Leaky Gut Syndrome'. Been there, done that, and for me, Flagyl really helped my stomach issues. 4 mos. of Levaquin for 'chronic sinusitus' and no education on yeast left me a dehydrated mess, 50lbs lighter.

Here's a product that really turned my life around:

New Chapter SuperCritical Omega 7

http://www.newchapter.com/product/product.lasso?-Search=Action&-Table=P_Web&-Database=NewChapter&-KeyValue=172

Rebuilds the lining of the GI system. I realize it's out of pocket, but worth every single penny.

You can find it online in many places. Vitamin Shoppe typically has it in their stores as well.

Also something to not overlook - Bartonella has been shown to cause havoc in the GI tract. Rifampin with low dose Flagyl gave me my life back.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear, I'm having my colonoscopy in Dec, so I will have some answers to my colon problems. I wouldn't do flagyl if my doc said I needed it.

I would find some other means of treating it. Before that date in Dec I will of read everything I can read on gut/colon healing and then trust I find something.

I did abx for over 3 yrs for lyme & co. Quit 4 yrs ago. I took biaxin 1000mg & eye drops about a month ago for staph infection I got in one eye. I took them for 10 days. I'm not having any problems with my eye, but now the infection is somewhere else in my head. For three weeks, I've gone from sore thoats to ear aches/irritation.
I probably still have a resistant staph in me.

More abx? No way. They are my enemy now. I will fight this another way. Yes, this is just my story with long term abx and it doesn't mean that anyone else will find abx wrong for them.

randibear, you'll find something else to help you.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're thinking of ordering meds online you might do another post and ask people to PM you with who they've sucessfully ordered from. A lot of companies, especially from Thailand, Maylasia and India sell fake drugs.... I got fake flucanazole once from Maylasia and it didn't work and it was a very dangerous situation...

You really do need to know what you're doing if you're planning on doing that...

BTW... have you considered systemic yeast? Has anyone checked you for that? If you get bladder infections it's common to put the urine under a microscope in some clinics and they can dx the yeast right away. Getting it treated thoroughly is a different problem though...

If you don't have an LLMD and have limited funds AND get bladder infections a good place to go for dx that might be either family planning or a free low income inner city VD clinic. Ask specifically for them to look for yeast in addition to anything else. IMHO some inner city VD clinics have better staff than family planning. At least that seems to be true in SF.

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement