LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Endocrine Disruptions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Endocrine Disruptions
Lemon2Lyme
Member # 13561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon2Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have hormones (pituitary/thyroid/adrenal hormones) drop into the cellar with Lyme?

And more importantly, did treatment bring hormonal function back?

I know Lyme can present with hormonal issues but I haven't seen many cases of people recovering normal hormonal output........anyone? [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 36 | From Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know, too, if anyone has had success repairing the hormone disruption that occurs with Lyme Disease.

------------------
Excerpt from Dr. S:

"Borrelia burgdorferi produces a large suite of bio-toxins that have tissue affinity, mainly neurotoxins with high molecular tropism for lipid structures (i.e., central nervous system, peripheral nervous system), muscles, joints, lungs and many others." These statements are backed up by research data identifying specific neurotoxins from Bb.

What this means is that Borrelia burgdorferi toxins are strongly attracted to fatty cells (such as those of the nervous system), and exert effects that disrupt normal functioning of these cells. These bio-toxins are thought to alter various specific sites in the brain on molecular, structural and chemical levels, interfering with all the major neurotransmitters (dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine, acetylcholine, GABA).

In this way they can cause all manner of neurological and psychiatric symptoms that mimic (or cause) many illnesses, from degenerative diseases such as Parkinson's Disease and Alzheimer's, to depression and autistic disorders. Indeed, Dr. F, a former president of the American Psychiatric Association, has acknowledged that Lyme disease can contribute to every single psychiatric disorder in the Diagnostic Symptoms Manual IV (DSM-IV), the manual used to diagnose psychiatric disorders.

Lyme bio-toxins are also known to interfere with many hormones, enzymes and their receptors, interfering with their usual functioning. One symptom that is prevalent in Lyme disease and related illnesses (chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, autism, depression etc), is chronic fatigue.

This can be explained by molecular toxicology research that shows that the calcium channel's normal functioning may be altered by Bb's bio-toxins. This results in the impairment of enzymes and other cellular chemicals involved in cellular energy production.
-----------------

Looking

Posts: 590 | From Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes...I have thyroid and pituitary problems due to lyme disease and possible co-infections.

I found that glutathione (Wellness Pharmacy) helped a lot.

WHAT ARE SOME OF THE FUNCTIONS OF GLUTATHIONE (GSH)? [Refs. 1--5]

* Maintains proper oxidation-reduction (redox) potential
inside cells. Redox affects the oxidation state of sulfur in
enzymes, and thus affects the rates of biochemical reactions in
cells.

* Scavenges peroxides and oxidizing free radicals directly and
also serves as the basis for the antioxidant network.

* Performs Phase II detoxication of heavy metals (such as
mercury), organophosphate pesticides, chlorinated hydrocarbon
solvents, estradiol, prostaglandins, leukotrienes, acetaminophen,
and other foreign and endogenous toxins.

* Stores and transports cysteine throughout the body.

* Transports amino acids into cells, especially cystine into
kidney cells.

* Regulates the cell cycle, DNA and protein synthesis and
proteolysis, and gene _expression.

* Regulates signal transduction.

* Participates in bile production.

* Protects thyroid cells from self-generated hydrogen peroxide.

By means of several of the above functions, GSH plays very important
roles in (1) maintaining mitochondrial function and integrity, (2)
regulating cell proliferation, and (3) supporting the immune
system.

HOW IS GLUTATHIONE (GSH) SYNTHESIZED IN THE BODY? [Refs. 1--5]

* GSH is synthesized inside cells by a two-step process. The
first step involves the ATP-powered enzyme glutamate cysteine
ligase (formerly called gamma-glutamylcysteine synthetase). This
step is normally the rate-limiting reaction, and is controlled by
the cellular redox state and feedback inhibition, among other
factors. The second step makes use of the ATP-powered enzyme
glutathione synthetase.

* The necessary substrates are cysteine (which is often the
rate-limiting substrate when GSH is depleted), glutamic acid (or
glutamine) and glycine. Cysteine and glutamic acid are joined
together in the first step, and glycine is added in the second step.

* The liver is the main producer and exporter of GSH.

* A few epithelial cell types can import GSH molecules
intact.

* Most cell types use the gamma glutamyl (or GSH scavenging)
cycle. This cycle makes use of the plasma-membrane-bound exoenzymes
gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase and dipeptidase. This cycle
disassembles GSH outside the cell and imports the parts for
reassembly inside. It also serves as a transport mechanism to bring
other amino acids into the cell, cystine(di-cysteine) being favored.

IS GLUTATHIONE DEPLETED IN CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME?

There is considerable evidence that it is, at least in a substantial
fraction of CFS patients. Here are the results of all the published
studies that bear on this question:
* GSH depletion in CFS was first suggested by Droge and Holm
[6].
* Cheney [7,8] reported that his CFS clinical patients were
almost universally low in GSH.
* Richards et al. [9] found that patients could be divided
statistically into two distinct groups, one having significantly
elevated erythrocyte GSH relative to a healthy control group, and
the other having significantly lower values.
* Fulle et al. [10] found elevated total (reduced plus
oxidized) glutathione in muscle biopsy specimens from PWCs relative
to healthy controls, but they did not report values for reduced
glutathione alone.
* Manuel y Keenoy et al. [11] found that a subgroup of
fatigued patients with low magnesium, whose body stores of Mg did
not improve with supplementation, had significantly lower GSH.
* Manuel y Keenoy et al. [12] did not find a significant
difference between CFS patients and fatigued controls in terms of
whole-blood GSH, but they did not compare with a healthy control
group.
* Kennedy et al. [13] found significantly lower red blood cell
GSH in PWCs compared to healthy controls (p=0.05).
* Kurup and Kurup [14] found significantly lower red blood
cell GSH in myalgic encephalomyelitis patients compared to healthy
controls (p<0.01).

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

just a quick note. Yeah, my adrenal function was the worst that a LLMDs said he ever saw. I guess I've always wanted to be best at something, but not the worst. I'm still trying to figure it all out.

While I think the infections really do a lot of damage,

you might Google and PubMed search " endocrine disruptors "

Rachel's Friends is a group trying to get these out of cosmetics.

Their link might also mention the use of plastics for food that gets hot, perfumes, cleaning chemicals etc. There may be some things that could be shifted in your home that might make a difference. Stay out of the laundry aisle at the supermarket, too.

It's far more complex, but that might be a little help.

Good luck.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hormones are still not right, but what can you expect from a bunch of male doctors bent on diagnosing a 41 yo woman as being in 'normal' menopause?

That's okay. Eventually EMF exposure will eat up their *burly* hormones, too. I can't wait. In fact, I want to be there to watch.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have become hypoglycemic from lyme, and my adrenals and thyroid are out of whack. I'm a 30 year old male and don't meet the usual criteria for this imbalance. My llmd says once you fix the core problem ie lyme then the rest of your system eventually balances out.

I tried to supplement the adrenal fatigue with cortisol but since it is a steroid it was not a good idea, although some have done well with it.

I can feel that I am out of balance esp. my blood sugar at times.

good luck.. Rich

Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon2Lyme
Member # 13561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon2Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm also male. My testosterone sank rather quickly with Lyme. It's hovering in the normal range but at the lower limits.

LD seems to have disturbed my pituitary output in some way.

I've read somewhere that testosterone seems have some anti-Lyme (or at least pro-immune system) effect. Maybe this is why LD acts to undercut certain hormones.

I'm hopeful that Lyme treatment will get my pituitary back on-line so-to-speak.

I'm hypothyroid as well which throws another wrench in the works. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 36 | From Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was given bio-identical hormone replacement therapy about a year ago.

It helped alot with wicked menstrual cramps.

I need to get tested again to make sure what I'm taking is correct - but I've been kind of short on cash for most of the year, though.

It may help you guys out there, too.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon2Lyme
Member # 13561

With Lyme suppressed hormone levels, replacement is tempting. Some are more easily replaced than others though.

Hormone replacement is dicey especially if there's a chance the hormonal axis will regain homeostasis through antibiotics/LD treatment alone.

It's a catch-22 I suppose. They'll supplement treatment and make you feel better, but then you may have to wean yourself off them later which could present problems. Decisions decisions. [Smile]

--------------------

sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re: BIHRT

Thanks! I'll consider that. It worked real well - initially - but I'm getting the really bad cramps again. I just figured I needed to test my levels & adjust the hormones.

I'm really getting tried of all this figuring... It's this & that & the other. It takes it's toll after a while.

ALSO- I don't think there are many people with "normal" hormone levels these days.

There's so many pollutants & toxins that it seems hard to avoid having some effect from the estrogens in plastic & pesticides. Even frogs & fish are becoming hermaphrodites.

Google - xenoestrogens if you don't know about this.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I have severe thyroid/adrenal/pituitary problems due to lyme. I am now registered Addison's and was totally unresponsive to a synathcen (ACTH Stimulation Test) and hd zero natural cortisol production and started to product Antibodies to Thyroid (both TgAb & TPO so Hashimoto's and Grave Antibodies at the same time) - many pituitaury problems are associated with lyme disease and endo says he sees this often as Lyme appears to like the Hormone producing glands and likes the frontal lobe where the pituitary sits.

So I personally had to have all hormones that were underfunctioning replaced before even treating the Lyme or Co-Infections.

The most shocking thing to the Endo is that after 5 months IV Rocephin produce cortisol - He says that this can only be due to the load of chronic infection being lowered - still very under active but working a little now.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The infection has disrupted my thyroid hormones, but other hormones seem to be functioning normally.

After studying the problem for 6 years and consulting with many endos, all of whom were unfamiliar with the matter, my conclusion is the infection somehow blocks or interferes with my thyroid hormone receptor sites. According to blood tests, I have plenty of hormone circulating, but I suspect it is blocked from getting to where it's supposed to in the body, and thus I experience symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon2Lyme
Member # 13561

Dguy-

Yeah, it's distressing that normal function would not return after 6 years.

You're probably right that the disease somehow blocks receptor sites.

I suppose it's possible that toxins from LD actually damage hormone producing glands, which would be a little more bleak scenario.

I am hopeful that treatment will bring back some function. I'd rather not be a slave to hormone replacement. [Smile]

--------------------

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interestingly enough, one of my hormones went skyhigh. Prolactin is supposed to be around 20 something. Mine went to over 200 early on and has stayed that way. Had pituitary surgery -- hyperplasia, no tumor.
Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewreck36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
before my lyme was treated, I lost my menstral cycle and started to make breast milk, and I hadn't had a baby in years.

Treatment stopped the lactation, and it wasn't until I had flagyl that my menstral cycle returned.

Mary

Posts: 1032 | From North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement