LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » please post your favorite anti-nausea remedies!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: please post your favorite anti-nausea remedies!
heiwalove
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now that i'm in treatment again, my nausea's back with a vengeance. ugh.

looking for any and all advice to help alleviate this symptom.

thank you!

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
radfaraf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radfaraf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginger supposedly works good.

I don't know from experience though since I don't get nausea.

There was a show on Discovery channel where they used it and it worked as good as prescript meds for nausea for them.

Posts: 526 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend who suffers from nausea uses supository phenergan. She says it is a lifesaver.

Sorry to hear you are feeling bad.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phenegran pills 25 mg combined with .5 mg of Xanax

Also try ginger and peppermint.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, i've been chewing on raw ginger almost constantly. it really does help. [Smile]

i'll try peppermint too (i have some peppermint tea in the cupboard, i think) and will ask my LLMD about phenergan.

thank you!

--------------------

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginger tea is great too, as is pickled ginger and diet gingerale.

The thing I always had to remember though...was to eat before any meds or I would get nauseous too.

(It took me three years to learn that one) [Smile]

Feel better,
M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellie K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellie K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salt & Vingear potato chips. [Big Grin]

You'd be surprised.

Posts: 390 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heiwalove, a couple of homeopathic remedies come to mind, but what you may want to try first....

As others have suggested, make sure you have plenty of food with your meds (unless otherwise prescribed). Perhaps this alone will alleviate the problem.

If not, my homeopath always told me that if I know what it is that is causing me distress, then THAT is the remedy!

How to Make Your Own Remedy:
http://www.hpathy.com/papersnew/lewis-make-own-remedy.asp

In the above article in indicates that this will only eliminate the negative effects of a medication, it won't stop it from working:
``.....if you want to antidote the side effects of a medicine you're on, like Penicillin , for example....''

(This sure worked for me when I had to antidote increased heart palpitations from taking Cumanda, which had persisted even after I quit taking the doggone Cumanda! I think it only took 3 doses of a remedy made from the Cumanda and my heart was back to normal.)

So, that would be my first choice. (Besides that, it costs nothing.) [Big Grin]

Here are a couple of standard remedies for nausea/ vomiting, but if it were me, I would not use any standard remedy long term without consulting with a homeopath.

Arsenicum-album 30C - a remedy often used for ailments from various antibiotics

Ipecac (Ipecacuanha) 30C - a traditional remedy to alleviate nausea and vomiting from various sources, including strong medications. (Note that in homeopathic form, Ipecac relieves nausea and vomiting; in allopathic form or used full-strength, it induces vomiting. A perfect example of homeopathic principles at work.)

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salt & Vinegar Potato chips or plain salty potato chips*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it depends on the source of the nausea

from gastroparesis - reglean and if necessary eating easy to digest foods

From meds or something simular (not gastroparesis or associated for dizziness)-
a big chunk of ginger brewed in a cup of tea

or changing the time i take the med (i have a history of my stomach being more senstive during certain hours... i have no idea why though)

Nausea associated with lightheadness - moving around as little as possible cuz i seem to get motion sickness from walking around sometimes...

nothing else seems to help it... so i am kinda still working on how to help that one.

Hope you find something that aleviates your nausea soon. [group hug]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One benadryl (over the counter antihistamine) stops nausea or throwing up quickly. But it can make one feel tired and sleepy.
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for viva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the prescription drug front, here are a couple of suggestions (crossover-info from chemotherapy...):

Zofran: generic name is Ondansetron; there is a quick-dissolving tablet form that starts working within about 10 minutes. It lasts for about 8 hours.

Compazine: Generic name is prochlorperazine. It works for about 4-5 hours. It can be taken in combination with the Zofran.

Just some other options...
Aviva

Posts: 532 | From southeast US | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
saltine crackers.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for me, this brought fast relief:

tap strongly above lip, under the nose (exact middle point), for about 1-2 minutes until the nausea stops.

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JudyEric
Member # 4070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JudyEric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son had unrelenting nausea until he went on a gluten free diet.
-Judy

Posts: 67 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
PubMed: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez
for references below
==============================

Gluten-free diet. For me, that essential. Corn gets me, too.

Slippery Elm is a miracle. Shake a tsp. of the powder in 4 oz. cool water, then mix with hot water and a drop of stevia for a tea. If you can "do" honey, a touch of honey may be added and also may help relieve a cough. Really coats the tummy.

If I have the flu and no desire to eat, I've been known to mix up a few tablespoons (shake first in cool water) and then add hot water to make a gruel. It can be a meal if you can't eat anything else. Drink lots of water to be sure it moves on through.

Someone mentioned ginger above. I add some ginger powder to the glass shaker before adding hot water. You can also steep a piece of ginger root and use for tea throughout the day. Too much, though, may be stimulating for some folks.

PubMed search: Slippery Elm - 10 abstracts

www.frontiercoop.com/search.php (use the search feature)

I get mine here. You can buy a capsules in other places. One pkg lasts a long time. Notice difference between cut & sifted and powder. Call them if you have questions. Organic available, too.

If you get powder, when you open - don't shake it and be careful to not breathe in as you measure it out as it's a fine powder.

You can View their Organic and Kosher certificates.
They do not use irradiation to sterilize products due to concerns for quality and safety.

=====================

www.drshen.com/nausea.htm

Stomach Curing Pills - this works very fast - there are other sites you can search for this, too. (used to be called "pill curing")

---------------------------------
Many naturopathic physicians and acupuncturists use Seven Forest Brand - here is one that really helps me.

Seven Forest Coptis/Evodia Tablets

You can google "Coptis/Evodia Tablets" for sources

PubMed search: Coptis - 227 abstracts
PubMed Search: Evodia - 147 abstracts

-

INTESTINAL PARASITES AND PATHOGENS (article)

Finally, Coptis/Evodia Tablets are made-up primarily of herbs containing berberine and related ... Coptis/Evodia Tablets should be avoided during pregnancy. ...

www.itmonline.org/arts/parapath.htm

-

[ 25. November 2007, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

thank you everyone!

salt & vinegar chips? i love those anyway, so why not! [Big Grin]

selma, do i tap with just one finger on that exact middle point, or use all four fingers across the general area, as in EFT?

thanks again for all the great ideas. [Smile]

--------------------

Ellie K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellie K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cave and Sarah, I actually beat you BOTH to it. [Big Grin] Not to gloat or anything....

Love that blue bag of Kettle chips.

Posts: 390 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A cold (I mean cold) damp washcloth or towel on the back of the neck

And/or the front of the neck helps too.

Phenergen (suppository) helped my stomach flu (when I could keep it in [Big Grin] ).

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really funny ... potato chips work for me, too.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me to get chewable deglycyrrizinated licorice, and chew a couple of them. Saliva mixes with it, and it coats the esophagus and stomache with a protective layer.

It seems to help with nausea a little, but mainly I'm concerned about my esphogus. Before I knew I was gluten intolerant, I had acid reflux and it's been damaged.

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Geneal - Ohhhh, YES - A cold (I mean cold) damp washcloth or towel on the back of the neck . . . that can stop it quickly.

Every time I fly I get ready with an ice pack for the motion/ tummy dance.

And Daisys - I agree that DGL is wonderful for mouth, esophogus and GI.

I had forgotten about that. Works like a charm on both symptoms and cause.

-

[ 26. November 2007, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement