LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Metabolic typing...your best friend to rid yourself of any disease?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Metabolic typing...your best friend to rid yourself of any disease?
cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 4 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanna pass on yet another step I've implemented in my quest for living a healthy disease-free life.

It's called "metabolic typing".

Now, I did a Lymenet search on "metabolic typing" and "metabolic type" and was baffled that nothing came up.

I find it hard to believe on this board, where every conceivable treatment option, incl dietary options, seem to have been discussed, that the issue of "metabolic typing" has never even been discussed.

Is this really true...or do I really suck at searching?

"Metabolic typing" is nothing new, really, and it's well understood and implemented by most naturopaths, as far as I know.

In any case, I will propose that to those who are avoiding carbs because of fears that it "feeds" Bb, that you're misled about this. I know I was.

The main point is that you may in fact BENEFIT from eating carb rich food...as long as you eat good carbs, particularly from vegetables and fruit.

This is because you may be what's called a "carb type" as opposed to a "protein type" or a "mixed type".

You can easily test yourself to determine which metabolic type you are. Just go on the web and do a search.

But why should you?

Because, according to the metabolic typing science, your body needs a unique blend of protein, fat and carbs, i.e. the socalled macro-nutrients. If you're not getting this optimal blend, you'll not experience optimal physical nor mental health either.

The notion is that we're all different. Some people thrive on rice. Others thrive on meats.

This is exactly why "diets" don't work for most people...because most people do not fall into that "average" type the diet is aimed at. Diets is a one-size-fits-all approach. And as a result it fails miserably.

And this is also why the avoid-carbs advice that I
see here on Lymenet is probably not good advice in the end.

In fact, I would think that some people would actually get worse following this advice.

We all need carbs. If your body doesn't get enough carbs, it will convert protein and fat into glucose anyway...a process that is automatically enhanced when you starve your body from carbs.

So Bb will be fed glucose whether you like it or not.

The key thing to remember about eating carbs is

1. Find out, through a metabolic typing test, how much carb your body needs

2. Only eat good carbs, i.e. vegetables, fruit, some types of rice, whole grain breads, etc

3. Whenever consuming carb rich foods, such as rice and breads, always eat with protein, fat or a fiber rich food, to slow down the conversion into glucose.

I personally turned out to be a protein type and I've been "trying" to be a vegetarian for almost a year. I had been under the impression that eating organic vegables and fruits would be the best thing in the world for me. However, I never felt quite right after I ate.

I do now. My temperature went up another notch, I'm no longer tired after I eat, I'm alert and my heart palpitations have gone away.

I wish I had known about this 3y ago when I came down with LD. I have no doubt I would have recovered so much faster.

Just my 2c. I'm not a doctor.

Michael

--------------------
I'm not an MD. The above is IMO and in my experience as well as from health related books.

I've had symptoms consistent with neurological Lyme disease since 1986. Was diagnosed with Lyme in 2004. Am feeling better now than ever before.

Posts: 702 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. So this is different from the blood type thing?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm supposedly a protein type.

So how does knowing this help me? I eat limited amounts of carbs. I don't do well on them.

http://www.naturalhealthyellowpages.com/metabolic/self_test.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I learned about this a couple of years ago, and have been eating the Mixed Type diet that is supposed to be right for me up until recently.

I noticed a slight improvement in my lipid ratios, but no other improvement in my health.

I can no longer eat that much protein due to another serious diagnosis, which has made me totally unable to digest fats,and most protein foods have fats in them.

You might search for Weston Price for early research on this, or look for the author of the book on Metabolic Typing, William Wolcott (sp.?), or just go to www.mercola.com to learn more about Metabolic Typing.

In order to learn the program for your type, and to take the complete typing test with 65 questions, you will need to buy the book of the same name.

Blood Typing is a tiny part of what is included in Metabolic Typing....it is much broader in scope than just blood type.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo,

I believe the "blood type thing" you're referring to might be the blood test that's part of an MDs assessment of your metabolic type (MT).

There seems to be two ways to determine your MT.

One is to let an MD do it, and part of this is a blood test and a subpart of this is your blood type. For example, I've heard that most protein types are type O's. But also the MD will put you through a questionaire.

A second way is to take a simple test, similar to the MD's questionairy, which you may find in various books (some which you can get for few $$) and on various websites.

So if you're a protein type, you're not supposed to do well on carbs. I know I don't do well on carbs alone. I need protein at every meal and snack to be at my best.

I get puffy eyes, heart palpitation, headache and have low energy and poor memory if I eat strictly carb rich foods (with little or no protein, fat or fiber).

You ask how it may help you.

I think it simply helps you to optimize your health. There are many aspects to a cure from LD. And I think our eating habits, and living habits in general, play a tremendous role in this cure. IMO, more so than antibiotics.

Another thing that I'm learning from MT is how my body responds to the foods I eat. It's fascinating that once you go down this road, i.e. start eating wholesome organic foods, avoid over cooking and eating according to your MT how you're able to "interact" with your body and tune it simply by stuffing food in your mouth.

Thirdly, there's more to MT than just realizing which type you are.

For example, based on my blood type and since I'm a prot type, I should strongly avoid foods such as sunflower seeds, cocoa and flounder.

Klutzo,

It was actually from mercola that I first learned about MT. mercola is a wonderful resourcefull site for health information. And it appears objective too.

I don't do well with too much fat either. I'm not exactly a 40/30/30 type (prot/fat/carb). I'm more like 40/20/40 if I wanna feel at my best.

Michael

--------------------
I'm not an MD. The above is IMO and in my experience as well as from health related books.

I've had symptoms consistent with neurological Lyme disease since 1986. Was diagnosed with Lyme in 2004. Am feeling better now than ever before.

Posts: 702 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flyinpiker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flyinpiker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 101 | From Living in the Now | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one4islands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting post.

I just got some labs/urinalysis done.

For the first time ever I had a small amount of Ketones detected in my urine-glucose normal.

I am consuming far less carbs to avoid yeast and since going wheat/gluten free three months ago.

I am starving all the time even though I eat all the time.

I just took the quiz and it states that I should be consuming 15-20% protein, 70-80% carb, 5-10% oil/fats.

Posts: 412 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flyinpiker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flyinpiker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One islands. What kind of foods are you eating?

There are two books you might want to explore. See if you can get through interlibrary loan or something. I own both and am happy with them.

The Metabolic Typing Diet- William Linz Wolcott

The Nutrition Solution: A Guide to Your Metabolic Type- Harold J. Kristal

People have tried to get me to go alkaline....I get worse.

People have tried to get me to juice ( even the low sugar veggies)...I get worse.

I have very low tolerance to anything that is not low carb.

I seem to thrive on protein and fat.

I too seemed to have problems statisfying my hunger until I put the chicken breast aside and started eating more lamb and red meat. This protein has more purines and more fat.

I seem to be doing very well following the the "Protein Type/ Fast Oxidizer" diet it suggest for me.

Again I cannot tolerate any type of moderate carbs. No beans, no grains, no potatoes or carrots. All give me burning in the brain, lots of fatigue, and more hunger so I suspect Insulin/blood sugar/metabolism in play as well although all my blood work comes back normal.

My typical meal consists of only 1-2 servings of low carb veggies. Anymore than that starts cutting into my engery levels.

Posts: 101 | From Living in the Now | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5vforest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5vforest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those that may be wondering:

Metabolic typing is hardly "tried and true". Some say it's a scam, some say it works.

"In 1985, an undercover investigator who enjoyed excellent health sent two sets of blood and urine test results to Nutrabalance for interpretation. The blood test values were almost identical, but the investigator drank two glasses of water between urine specimens, which made their pH (acidity) and specific gravity differ. The first report classified the "patient" as: "Primary Type: Adrenal, Secondary Type: Posterior Pituitary, Acid/Alkaline Condition: Acid" and recommended an "acid food plan" plus 13 supplement pills per day. The second report classified the "patient" as: "Primary Type: Adrenal, Secondary Type: Liver Spleen, Acid/Alkaline Condition: Balanced" and recommended a "balanced food plan" plus 10 supplement pills per day. Both reports claimed that the patient had many glandular "imbalances," which was untrue. The recommended supplements--which practitioners typically sell in their offices at a 50% to 100% markup--would have cost several dollars a day."

Posts: 340 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one4islands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flyinpiker-This is what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast-
Eco-Planet gluten-free hot cereal w/ 1 tbsp flax seed
1 egg scrambled in coconut oil
1 slice Udi's gluten-free bread with coconut oil
2 slices nitrate free ham lunch meat

Snack-Cashews

Snack-plain greek yogurt w/ pinch of Udi's granola

Snack-air popped popcorn

Lunch-
2 slices nitrate free turkey on 2 slices Udi's bread
Cottage cheese w/ applesauce
Riceworks chips

Dinner-
Chicken breast sauteed with zuc/broccoli/onions
Applesauce

Snack-
Natures's Path Mesa cereal w/ fat-free cow's milk

Breakfasts are usually the same as above.

Lunch is alternated with a sand/chips/cottage cheese or salad and turkey/chicken breast or chicken/vegs.

Dinner usually chicken/fish with steamed vegs or sauteed vegs (sometimes a salad) occasional sweet potato or other side like brown rice/quinoa.

Yes, I always have a nightly bowl of cereal. I have for at least 10 years.

I crave it, it doesn't affect my sleep and it helps to keep me full overnight until I wake up hungry.

Before I went gluten/wheat free the high fiber cereal helped w/ digestion, but the gluten free cereals have little fiber.

My husband can't understand why I eat more than he does.

I am 5'5" and 108-110lbs.

I've always been underweight even when pregnant.

I joked with my dr. the other day and said I think I am the type of person who burns calories just sitting doing nothing.

Of course, working out with weights has made my appetite increase.

I am trying to increase my calorie intake to put on some weight, but am still hungry.

I can eat dinner and many times before my plate is cleared my stomach is growling and I am hungry again.

Don't know why?

I think I

Posts: 412 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flyinpiker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19589

[/QUOTE]
quote:
Originally posted by 5vforest: Metabolic typing is hardly "tried and true". Some say it's a scam, some say it works.
This sums up just about everything out there in regards to "practitioners" whether they are mainstream docs or practicing any type of alternative medicine.

I don't see a need for anyone to consult anyone in regards to their metabolic type. There is no need for anyone to check out your blood or urine and blindly follow what ever they say.

Read the books. Or even take Meracola's free test online ( not a big fan of the guy). This is not a cure. This is about finding out if there's a way to eat that makes you feel optimal. It's been a lifesaver for me.

In regards to supplements etc the books do cover that some supplements could effect certain types adversely. Again...no need to go buy someone's special formula. Just take caution when you take supplements period that you are being told are good for you and you feel bad.

In my case. Asorbic Acid forms of Vitamin C make me feel terrible. Calcium ascorbate forms however don't effect me at all. The books cover which supplements might be appropriate for different types. You can find this on the net as well...but again I would just take it "for the what it's worth department".

Supposedly metabolic typing is also tied to how different foods/supplements effect your Sympathetic and Parasympathetic nervous systems.

Again like the above poster brought to light handing everything over to a "practioner" in metabolic typing is not necessary.

The main components of these theories are the foods.

Worse case senario you start curving your diets toward what it suggest and it doesn't feel right and you abandon it. This isn't something that you have to wait months for you to notice. You should feel a difference within a week or two. That's what the books and good ol Meracola's says...and that's how it worked for me.

Flyinpiker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19589

Here's a link to Meracola's stuff. I highly suggest reading the books instead because his cheesy online explaination of things leaves a lot out and plus the guy just creeps me out =) , but it is cool that he has a free online test.

Here's his take on it:
http://products.mercola.com/nutritional-typing/

Here's the link to his test. Yes you do have to register. And he will send you news letters, but unsubcribed from them and amazingly I did not get anything more from him or anyone else. To be fair he does give you a bunch of free resources to go along with your results and amazingly doesn't try and sell you anything.

http://nutritionaltyping.mercola.com/

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement