LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is this a good start

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this a good start
Robert1_1
Member # 13910

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert1_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you have seen my intitial post http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=060661 thanks for all your help.

There really are no decent LLMD docs I could find in the Chicago area and of the highly recommended docs I coudn't get an appt until like Feb.

So, I went to a local internal med doc and explained everything. He doesn't really think I have Lyme but to be sure he ordered a "Lyme IgG & IgM Ab Western Blog". I had my blood drawn at a Lab. Not sure who actually processes it.

Also, he prescribed 100mg doxycycline 2 times a day for the next 4 weeks. He said if I do have lyme this take of it. doxy was the same advice I saw in my initial post. He also thought that if I don't have lyme, I may be possible I have some sort of low grade infextion in the external ear cartliage which may be why it still hasn't gone back to normal.

I still have my suspicion of polychondritis and am seeing an expert on that later this week.

Posts: 14 | From Chicago | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if the test is not going to Igenex, it will likely come back negative. If it's positive, then don't ignore it!!!

200mg of doxy per day for one month won't do much. Sorry.

Keep us posted and let us know which bands show up on the Western Blot. The only problem is with inferior labs [for lyme]...They don't test for ALL BANDS. That can be a big problem!

PS...Let us know if you "herx."

PSPS... One thing that makes me think this is Lyme is that your problems began when you got a shot of cortisone. That's a big sign it could be Lyme.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert1_1
Member # 13910

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert1_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought 200-400mg a day of doxy was adaquate for early lyme treatment. Is there something else he should have given me?
Posts: 14 | From Chicago | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for very early lyme, meaning if you catch it IMMEDIATELY after the tick bite, 400 mg doxy for six weeks is the minimum i would trust.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
basically, i would try to obtain a high dose of doxy from your local duck (a difficult task, but possible if you keep bugging him and maybe bring him some ILADS literature) until you can get into the LLMD in february. it sounds like you've been infected for longer than a week or two. better to be safe than sorry.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may be ok, Robert- so far you are doing pretty good. Yes, 200-400 mg is standard for Lyme. Most docs go for the 400 and you have a name typically associated with men and are generally probably presumed to be on the 400 mg side of the spectrum by readers here because of that!! BUT 200 mg a day MAY be enough- but is **maybe** good enough when dealing with a disease that can become chronic & disablinG?
A disease that can cause chornic pain?

No. Maybe is not good enough, in my book.
You are in the leagues of the bitter chronics*)!
Or at least the trying-to-be-helpful-don'tend-up-like-us chronics!!! Better safe than sorry is our creed*)!

If you are a big man, 400 would be appropriate most likely... I was at 400 mg when I was on Doxy with an LLMD and I was 112 pounds at the time. If you are a smaller person you may be ok and even if you are a larger person you MAY be ok. 200 mg of Doxy can do amazing things with early Lyme. But 400 can wipe it out!!!

I think we here just know that you can end up here for- for forever!! Forever. Never be well again as long as you live. So when we hear newbie and 200 mg, we get protective and snarly and think, DOCTOR, give this person what WILL save them no matter what instead of what SHOULD work most likely...

So we are not meaning to be rude, speaking for the entire forum, we are trying to be emphatic in a caring way(*)!!!!

Merry Xmas-
May it be your only Xmas with Lyme,
Meaning Well,
Sincerely,
Sarah
who was treated with 200 mg for a month
TEN YEARS AGO NOW
caught at time of bulls-eyes rash
and grossly, grossly
undertreated

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good advice Sarah,

Posts on abx amount aren't meant to sound pushy but when so many people have been under treated we all just want to scream from our roof tops the correct dosages.

On the other hand...if your duck will not give you anymore than what you have don't stop taking it. Continue with the 200 mgs and get yourself to an LLMD. Maybe you can even sweet talk your doc into a refill while your waiting for an LLMD appt.

I have been through rounds and rounds of abx. My LLMD just had me start on 200 mg of Doxy yesterday. I know it is a low dose but I am not tolerated abx well right now but I am also not tolerating symptoms. This is just a small dose so that the Rocephin doesn't put me into meltdown when I start again.

That is why you need a good LLMD. You can trust most of them and they usually have a method to the madness.

Good luck to you...kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
200 mg/day started 5 days after my bite completely

failed me; I developed encephalitis WHILE on this!

(although this was probably from Babesiosis, which

almost certainly have in addition to Lyme and

Bartonella.)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robert,

I started treatment on 400mg/day/doxy; one-half in the morning with breakfast, and the other half with dinner. I weigh 130 pounds.

You have great advice above. Hope you can find a way to start treatment earlier than February. Best wishes.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I think we here just know that you can end up here for- for forever!! Forever. Never be well again as long as you live. So when we hear newbie and 200 mg, we get protective and snarly and think, DOCTOR, give this person what WILL save them no matter what instead of what SHOULD work most likely...

So we are not meaning to be rude, speaking for the entire forum, we are trying to be emphatic in a caring way(*)!!!!"

Well said!!! We're protective of you, Robert...our new friend!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert1_1
Member # 13910

All,

Thank you for the great advice.

Keep in mind I just took the Western Blot test yesterday and should have the results in about a week. So, right now I think it is just a precautionary treatment.

When I get the results I will get a copy and post them here for furhter advice. If it shows up possitive I will definately double up on my dose and try and find an LLMD where I can get in earlier.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Don't hold your breath for Quest Diagnostics to locate the Lyme. We do have one or two people here whose Quest WB's came back positive.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Robert1_1
Member # 13910

Lymetoo,

Why do you say this? Is this because their technicians are incompetant and unable to carry out the western blot testing procedures accurately and consistently, or is it because their procedures are different/inadequete from those of a reputable lab?

I'm just trying to understand how a lab can go on peforming improper testing that can affect the lives of so many people and nothing is being done about it.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Robert1_1:

I'm just trying to understand how a lab can go on peforming improper testing that can affect the lives of so many people and nothing is being done about it.

Happens thousands of times a day!! Nobody cares!

They spend one week on the testing compared to 3 wks for Igenex.

They don't test for ALL possible bands!!!! They leave out two of the most important bands!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Posted by MichelleM:

Updating this thread with some citations to BAAAD testing. If you gotta stick out your arm, make sure your lab is worthy.. Stick with IGeneX or another LLMD-recommended lab that specializes in tickborne disease testing. Lyme testing is hard enough; don't give a bad lab a chance to mess it up for you.

Michelle

Lyme Testing: The Problems Rarely Appreciated

Many good and sincere physicians have been trained to perceive Lyme testing falsely, and some are even infectious disease consultants.

================

Lyme is a very sophisticated bug. It is partially related to the bug that causes syphilis. There are literally well over a dozen reasons for missing the diagnosis.

First, that bulls eye rash is a good sign you have it. But many other "bite" patterns or rash patterns can also be Lyme. In fact only 1/2 get any kind of mark or rash. And only 25-50% have the popular bulls eye rash. Sometimes a bulls eye rash is not on a part of you body you easily see and so is missed.

1. Lyme can hide by a number of ways from your immune system.

2. If your immune system is not tuned up and working very well you can be found fully negative on multiple lab tests.

3. Most tests for Lyme are antibody tests. Antibodies, also known as immunoglobulins, are proteins that recognize something foreign in the body like infecting bacteria and help remove it. The first and most common test your doctor usually orders is an ELISA antibody test. Again, if the Lyme is hiding well or your immune system is fair, you will come up normal.

Specifically, the ELISA test missed 56% of confirmed Lyme patients (Archives of Internal Medicine 15:761-0763, 1992).

In another study, it was in some ways worse. In this one the ELISA test missed over 70% of people with early Lyme disease, and 46% with late manifestations of Lyme. (Laboratory Medicine 21:299-304, 1990). Meaning, it missed 70 out of 100 people with the early disease. But it was still negative after the bug was in the body for a long time -- still missing 46 of 100 seriously infected people.

4. For some, the Lab is a place of perfect science. A place which has purely objective fact. In Lyme this is not valid. In one study, 55% of the labs could not accurately identify blood samples with Lyme, which led to the conclusion in a prestigious infection journal that: screening tests for Lyme disease are not adequate (Journal of Clinical Microbiology 35:537-543, 1997).

What About the Western Blot? Is That Definitive?

The Western Blot is merely another antibody test. However, it is more specific than the ELISA. The test can test for 25 possible "bands" that relate to parts of Lyme or other infections.

But the routine Western Blot typically done has massive errors. In one serious test of the Lyme Western Blot testers, there was a stunning finding. They used nine clearly infected patients and sent their blood to 18 labs.

Of the IgG type of antibody, some labs were wrong. They missed 10 of 18 samples.

For the IgM type of antibody, the labs were occasionally so bad they falsely reported Lyme as absent in 16 of 18 samples (Arch Intern Med 150:761-763, 1990).

1. Most physicians are taught to do the ELISA first. If that is positive then "confirm" with the Western Blot. The big confusion is that this is not a way to diagnose. It is the CDC's way of generally tracking the movement of Lyme in locations and states. It is not a way to determine whether you, personally, have Lyme!

If you use the Elisa first method with the confirmation Western Blot, you miss massive numbers of individuals with Lyme (Journal of Clinical Microbiology 34: 10-9, 1996). From this two-stage approach, you may have a sense that Lyme is entering your state at an increased rate, but that does not address your individual concern.

2. The CDC guidelines seem to express clearly to me that these two lab tests were never intended to be the final measure of whether you have Lyme. They report the main diagnostic criteria are what you report to your doctor and what they find on a physical, i.e., "clinical findings." (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/diagnosis.htm)

3. Another government agency, the conservative FDA, has issued a bulletin explaining that a person may have active Lyme disease and yet may have a negative lab result. Meaning, diagnosis should be based on the history of what happened to you -- symptoms, exposure to the tick and physical findings (http://www.fda.gov/medbull/summer99/lyme.html).

4. Congress and the President have felt that negative labs have been used to keep people from needed treatment. United States Congress Public Law 107-116 explains that labs that are negative have no relation to Lyme diagnosis in a person and refers to the CDC that lab monitoring and testing with Elisa and Western Blot was "developed for national reporting of Lyme disease: it is not appropriate for clinical diagnosis."

Some bands may be fairly specific to Lyme: 12, 22, 23/25, 31, 34, 35, 37, 39, 83***

Finally, some feel the PCR test is the best test. Most PCR tests are performed by laboratory which almost never find it in positive people. However, the PCR test should be done by IGeneX, Medical Diagnostic Labs or another tick disease specialty lab, it is fairly useless. PCR testing can have a false negative of 30% in those with positive Lyme. It is also good to test the PCR from blood serum, whole blood and urine, so they have more ways to look for the illness.

These are excerpts from a book in manuscript by: Dan Kinderlehrer, MD., appearing on the website of Dr. Schaller of Florida (publishes free articles at personalconsult.com).
---------------------
***Note from Michelle: actually bands 18 and 30 are considered specific to Lyme as well.

=========================

================
If I'm not mistaken, the other labs leave out bands 30 - 31 because they are tied to the failed Lyme vaccine of several yrs ago. They are specific to Lyme.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert, there are a few issues with testing.

One issue is strains. You list yourself as from Chicago. If you have ever vacationed in Wisconsin (I have*)! there is a strain in Wisconsin which will test negative on standard Lyme tests- the Kettle forest strain. The amount of research done so far indicates that there are a great many strains out there, & many
that we have surely not yet discovered-

For Bartonella in CA for example, we have 5 human pathogenic strains- but all labs tend to test for one, bartonella henselae. A negative for that does not mean you don't have one of the others.

THEN there's the plain old stupidity involved sometimes. Again, using CA as an example because that is where I am from and know it best, there has never once been a documented case of the strain Babesia Microti in California. NEVER. Not once. BUT it is THE ONLY BABESIOSIS that all labs in CA
(excepting 3, UC Davis research lab, Igenex and Public Health Lab in Sonoma) TEST for!!! because it was the first main test for Babs developed. But our predominant strain of Babs is WA1!!!

In MISSOURI, people get tested for Babesia Microti when they have discovered MO1 there- but do people get tested for MO1? NO!!! They have now found MO1 ALL over the heck in the USA btw, it is WIDESPREAD!! Have you or I been tested for it? Nope.

There are few research dollars allocated to TBDs compared to other causes. TOO BAD.

Then you have the actual TESTS themselves.
A PCR for Lyme is VERY specific- if you have a positive PCR it is a direct detection test- you can only get it if you have Lyme. but you can take 20 PCRs and only get 1 positive if you have lyme- it is not very SENSITIVE.

The Western Blot & ELISA as a 2 tier system miss many cases. For women, we have a gender bias. Average female response is 4 bands on Western Blot- average male is 6. CDC+is 5.
So women start off screwed- but even a man if he has a variant strain other than the main test strain-

The main test strain used tends to be (or used to be if I am out-dated) the Shelter island new York strain, right? That is what i remember...

ANYWAY, if you are from somewhere else, you may have a variant strain which has variant bands. The bands measure antibody response- rather, they map it.

There are also people who are so antibody-impaired that they don't make any- they areblood negative- like the documented case of Glenn Edward Killion, 36, a CAian who was repeatedly blood negative and spinal negative. or Vicki Logan- let me go get that-

This is why Lyme is a clinical diagnosis.
Best wishes,
Sarah
From "The New York Times", 1993. A few excerpts.

Lyme Disease: Does It Really Linger?
Those who claim long-term ailments pose a puzzle.
By Elisabeth Rosenthal

From her bed at Northern Westchester Hospital Center, Vicki Logan begs to differ with academic scientists who claim that there is no such thing as chronic Lyme infection and that Lyme is cured with at most four weeks of antibiotics.

Since 1987, Ms. Logan has battled headaches, fevers, fatigue, progressive paralysis,seizures, periods of dementia and memory loss so severe that she remembers only the previous three weeks out of the last year. For much of her illness doctors told her she could not possibly have Lyme disease and prescribed no antibiotics.

Two years ago Dr. Kenneth Liegner, a Westchester internist, decided to buck conventional wisdom and try giving her prolonged courses of antibiotics that could kill the Lyme spirochete: she improved somewhat during each course of the drugs, and relapsed when they were
stopped. Dr. Liegner became convinced that Ms. Logan had chronic active Lyme infection that could be controlled but not cured through
daily drug treatment.

Others, including consultants at the Mayo Clinic, disputed the diagnosis, saying that after months of antibiotics, Ms. Logan - if she ever had Lyme - had certainly been cured. But recently, Dr. Liegner was vindicated: scientists at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta found the Lyme spirochete, Borrelia Burgdorferi, swimming in a sample of Ms. Logan's spinal fluid.

A handful of cases like Ms. Logan's are challenging conventional assumptions about Lyme disease and igniting a fiery debate about the
usual course of this increasingly common infection: Are disastrous experiences with Lyme like hers the rare exception or the rule?

The Lyme organism is extremely difficult to culture, particularly when the disease is advanced, so doctors are left relying on indirect and imperfect tests to determine if a patient with continuing symptoms is infected.

The current Lyme test detects the patient's immune response to the parasite and is prone to false readings. In most cases it is impossible to say with certainty that a patient harbors the bacterium. Even among patients whom all doctors would agree have Lyme infection of the central nervous system - who have a known tick bite,
a typical Lyme rash and test positive on all current tests - only 10 percent have spinal fluid samples in which scientists can find the germ.

"In most infectious diseases, you don't diagnose until you identify the organism - which is the sine qua non-anything else is iinferior" said Dr. Mark Klempner, a Lyme expert at Tufts-New England Medical Center. "But in many cases of Lyme we're stuck. We can't find the
bacterium. Until we have a better diagnostic test that actually finds or measures multiplying bacterium, we're going to have problems knowing which if any of these patients have an ongoing infection and who might benefit from treatment."

Researchers have come to believe that chronic Lyme may be difficult to detect and treat because it is caused by a very few free floating organisms that are confined to the joint spaces and central nervous system - sites that many antibiotics do not reach. Recent work in Dr. Klempner's lab has shown that the spirochete may spend at least part of it's life cycle inside cells, where they are similarly protected.

Unfortunately, scientific advances have not clarified whether the small number of well-documented cases of chronic Lyme represent
anomalies or the tip of a huge iceberg.

There are similarly loud disagreements about how often people who test negative on the standard Lyme antibody tests can nonetheless
have Lyme disease. It was because Ms. Logan initially tested negative on this test that she went untreated for years.The newer lab methods
have proved that this is possible, but no one is sure how common it is.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement