LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Doxy- To Take With Food Or Without?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doxy- To Take With Food Or Without?
bandit100
Member # 11941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandit100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took my first pill of doxy yesterday about an hour before dinner and felt sick to my stomach.

The pharmacy paper work seemed to reference that it was better to take without food for absorption purposes.

I don't think that is going to be an option.

I am just curious if you folks take it with or without food and your experience with doxy.

Thanks.
Roger

Posts: 25 | From Missouri | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always taken it with food. I fact my pharmacy put a sticker on the bottle that say to take with food if stomach upset occurs.

Hope this helps,
Rich

Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickofitAll
Member # 12810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickofitAll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was first prescribed doxycycline my LLMD told me it was okay to take it with food if it upset my stomach. Taking it with food did help me.
Best Wishes,
S

Posts: 6 | From Home | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking it with food helps-
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first dose I took without food.

Big mistake. It just about burned a hole in my esophagus (at least that is how it felt!).

I take mine after a meal, with a full glass of water.

Do not lay down for at least one hour after taking.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always took on a full stomach. The info with my Doxy said best on empty stomach but eat with food or meal if upset stomach. It's important to stay away from Dairy within two hours of Doxy as that will lessen it's effect.
Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to take it with food or it gives me heartburn, makes me nauseas, or gives me what feels like a burning stomach. So I ALWAYS make sure I have food in my stomach before taking it, otherwise I have to deal with more feeling sick. [dizzy]

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
needleseye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for needleseye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took an expensive brand name of doxy called Adoxa which was much easier on my stomach and I was able to take it without food. So I don't know if you can afford the brand name but if you can it really makes a difference.

--------------------
Wishing you fast healing and good health!

Posts: 109 | From Colorado | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nutmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nutmeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Minocycline, which is similar to Doxy, also supposed to be taken on an empty stomach. Sometimes I eat a few crackers with it and that seems to help. Fruit would be good too, or something like applesauce, and that would digest quickly (30 minutes or so). Also drinking a ton of water helps flush the pills all the way down to the stomach so they get stuck and burn the esophagus. Sometimes nothing helps and they still get stuck and burn, and then I eat something more substantial to help soothe my innards.

Nutmeg

Posts: 386 | From WA state | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take it with alot of food. I always took doxy with a big meal, and it worked great for me. Otherwise, I would get very nauseous.
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I took doxy I took it with water only 2 glasses and dont lie down for at least 1/2 hr.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to take it with food or I can't hold it down.

Lily

Posts: 219 | From Florida | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started taking Doxy. My pharmicist said if you can handle on a empty stomache it is better.

I took my fifth dose this morning on empty stomach with about 16oz of water. It makes my stomach hurt for about an hour but no esophoguas problems.

Yesterday when it started to hurt I drank some soup broth and that really seemed to help.

kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbsoapfan
Member # 12055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbsoapfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually take my medicines with oatmeal. I started a new treatment this morning of Levaquin, Minocycline & Septra. I used one package of microwavable oatmeal and it helped tremendously. Whenever I use something else, I have severe stomach problems. The one package seems to help.
Posts: 18 | From NC | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor told me to chew deglycyrrhzinated licorice. It coats the esophagus and stomach with a protective layer.

I can take it without getting nauseous for a couple of days, and then it starts to bother me. Considering how long I may be on it, and the fact that it's accomplishing something when taken with food, I've decided to take it with food all the time.

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WITH!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pepper8
Member # 13660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pepper8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would usually have just a few crackers before taking it. It always upset my stomach no matter what I ate so I figured it was better to take it without food since my stomach would hurt even if I had food. Don't take it with dairy products because that will decrease its absorbtion. After 7 weeks of Doxy my doctor switched me to Tetracycline, which was a lot better for my stomach. Oh and NEVER lay down right after taking it. Wait at least an hour, if not two. The one time I forgot to do that, I woke up around 1am with a killer sore throat and killer stomachache. Take the 2nd dose early enough in the day so that you won't have to worry about staying awake longer than you prefer just because you can't lay down right after taking the medicine.
Posts: 55 | From Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're unable to tolerat the doxy, ask your dr for Doryx. It's Doxy in a different form. VERY easy on the stomach!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doryx is suppose to be awesome, but make sure your insurance covers it, mine won't because there is a generic available. If you check pricing on Doryx at Costco.com 100 pills is almost $800! That isn't a typo!

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement