LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Difficulty peeing??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Difficulty peeing??
Ellie K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12056

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Ellie K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup.

Kind of embarrassing, but I thought I'd bring it up. I've never seen it listed as a Lyme symptom. Could it be a side effect of all the meds?

This is what happens to me pretty much every time I "go", or rather, try to "go," in the middle of the night:

I wake up because my bladder feels very full. [Eek!] I go to the bathroom. I sit down on the potty to pee, but all is silent. I realize I'm not peeing (which is supposed to happen pretty automatically and without effort, no?). So I strain and strain and valiantly flex my peeing muscles: [Mad] FINALLY, I hear a little trickle, trickle. [confused] And that's it. One hour later: Repeat.

Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem!

I do hope it's "normal," as far as Lymies go, and not a problem with my kidneys and/or bladder.

Posts: 390 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd see my doctor right away. Sounds like a bladder infection! (Though it COULD be a lyme problem.)

(Not medical advice, but this calls for a doc consult, even if it's just your GP.)

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Difficulties emptying the bladder is a neurological symptom of Lyme.

I don't know if that is what you have, though. In my case it used to be like this:

The fuller my bladder was the more "blocked" it was - especially by night. I would have to press and press forever to finish emptying my bladder. It didn't come automatically anymore.

The urologist didn't find anything wrong. It went completely away with longterm antibiotics.

In any case I would have it checked by an urologist - just to be sure.

Take care,

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unclear
Member # 13975

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unclear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had that problem on and off for years, there is a place on your foot that if you massage it, it will dislodge what is going on. Do a search for Reflexology on google and find the map to your feet, they follow the guide to your urethra and your bladder, if you take a bath it is easier to do, it should hurt when you first start to do it. Sometimes I have to do it before I can go pee pee I just put my hand on the area and move that part up and out, if you feel like it has egg shells feeling that means it is congested, just work it out. This is the only way I could give a urine sample for awhile. Plus sitz baths, with salt in the and warm water. That is harder because you have to find a pan to sit in while you do it, if you know of anyone that just had a baby they give them to you when you come home from the hospital. Hope this helps. Reflexology helps take down in flamation, Unclear

--------------------
If God leads you to it, then God will lead you through it !

Posts: 2 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Michelle, call your doctor. Get a test to make sure you don't have a bladder infection.

That said, I often feel like my bladder is full but I can't go. Sometimes I have a bladder infection, usually I don't. I've had many times when I felt like I had an infection but the test came back negative.

Seems like I've seen many mention cystitis. I have cystitis which I feel is lyme induced. I started having more trouble emptying my bladder after I started abx. I have to lean forward in order to completely empty it now.

I have had improvement in my bladder pain after about a year of being on abx. It is better now off and on.

Yeast can also cause bladder problems so you might consider having that checked.

Hope it gets better soon.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has that as well, and has never had a bladder infection. I, too, believe it can be a neurological Lyme symptoms. It's always good to be sure and see your doc.

As long as there was no fever, or burning, we would just wait it out. Usually it got worse the week before her period.

After two years of abx, it's a very rare happening.

Kelmo

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several possibilities that I am aware of:

1. bladder infection caused by the usual stuff, that will show up on an ordinary lab test - so it feels like you have to pee but your bladder is not actually full

2. bladder infection caused by lyme bacteria - same symptoms as above

3. bladder infection caused by candida or other fungus due to antibiotic treatment - same symptoms as above, requires several weeks of diflucan, if your doctor will give it to you, or else alternative fungus busters

4. "fungal balls" that obstruct the urethra, so that the bladder is full and can't empty. Google "candida and and bladder" and you will see this noted in many articles. I expect the same treatment with Diflucan would apply.

No fun, I know. I hope this passes soon.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this,

For me it is either Interstitial cystitis (ic)

Pelvic floor muscles that are tight thus making it difficult to empty my bladder.

Ive had this again the last few days and I didnt have it for two months, and I hate it!!

Please try not to strain, its going to make the pelvic floor muscles tighten. The best thing to do is relax, stand up then try sitting back down and trying again. Again relax as much as possible and try not to freak out(i know easier said then done)

Mine is usually with my first morning void.

Meds can do this, have you started anything new?

Does it happen throughout the day or only when you wake at night?

I would also recommend getting checked for a UTI.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I've noticed this. I think with a bladder infection you have burning. I used to get that when I was younger.

I go to use a public restroom & the lady in the next stall sounds like a horse peeing (LOL). Mine is like a trickle... Sometimes it stops & starts (which it never did before). I thought it was due to being over 45...

I don't think I have a bladder infection - I think it does have something to do with the Lyme.

I don't have health insurance so I don't have the money to go to another doctor for every issue - especially, since so many have been so wrong!

It's probably good to just drink alot of water, vit C, &/or cranberry juice during the day. Try to limit sugar intake & don't drink alot of liquids late at night.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
july
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for july     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also had this problem,but mine has gone both ways.

At times I couldn't pee no matter how full my bladder was, and at other times I would be wetting my pants without any warning.

I didn't have much control over any of my muscles. For a while I was even unable to walk. I figured it must be a lyme thing, I wasn't able to relax enough to pee or I'd lose control over my muscles and wet my pants. SUCKS!

My doctor did do a bladder scan to make sure it wasn't too full. There was quite a lot in there even after voiding and thinking I was empty.

I know some meds can cause urinary retention. I am taking amitriptyline for nerve pain and to help me sleep, but I remember it used to be used a long time ago (in small doses) to help kids stop wetting the bed. It has helped with the pants wetting issue. So if you are taking that med, or something similar, that could be the problem.

But, I do agree with everyone else, you SHOULD get it checked out.

Posts: 111 | From northeast Iowa | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jblral
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jblral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't personally have Lyme (my daughter does.) But a number of years ago, I had the problem just as you described. In my case, my uterine fibroids were evidently pressing against something while I was lying down. You might investigate as to whether you have a similar problem.
Posts: 991 | From California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you on narcotic pain meds? This creates this problem, seriously try running some water at a nearby faucet and may help to get the flow going. Relax when your are sitting there, don't strain. If this little trick doesn't help, go over your meds with your doctor and see what is causing it.

Bladder infections burn, I can't imagine it being that because abx would kill the infection. I totally believe it is medication related.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
myahbv
Member # 11474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for myahbv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have to squeeze real hard to pee when i feel full...but yet if i sneeze or jump its comes flowing freely on my pants so who knows ....i drink lots of cranberry juice too...good luck to ya...i hate the thought of getting on a trampoline with my kids , i'd have to put on a depends first...haha

Amy G

Posts: 33 | From kentucky | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Dr. Bleiweiss' Lyme Checklist:

http://www.lymenet.de/lymcheck.html

LD can cause an interstitial cystis leading to bladder pain relieved by urination. A neurogenic bladder can develop with either hesitancy, frequency, loss of bladder awareness, urinary retention, incontinence or the symptoms of UTI (urinary tract infection). I suspect that some cases of chronic pyelonephritis are actually LD. Pediatricians may want to consider that nocturnal enuresis (bedwetting) is secondary to LD.

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see you have a sense of humor myahbv !

That made me laugh about the trampoline...

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement