LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Best Antibiotics Specific to Memory & Cognitive Problems?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Antibiotics Specific to Memory & Cognitive Problems?
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears my memory and cognitive challenges are rather unrelenting even after two years of treatment.

Does anyone know the best antibiotics that would specifically address this aspect of lyme manifestation?

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cephalosporins whether oral or IV or IM!!!
And Flagyl- Tinidazole

Ceftin is oral
Omnicef is oral
Flagyl
Tinidazole
Rocephin
Claforan

Bactrim can work wonders for some people!! If you aren't allergic to sulfa!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you been treated for bart? http://www.healthcentersofamerica.com/information.cfm?id=140

Minocycline crosses into the brain. IV Rocephin is supposed to be the best for cognitive symptoms.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6GoogyKids.....

Bart is next on my list to get treated for.
I'll read the link you posted.

Supposed to deal with the babesia first, but I can't tolerate teh mepron and really want to get my memory fixed!!!! So I can function.

Thanks for confirmation about the minocycline.

I'm at yet another impasse. Antibiotics have been helpful, but it seems not as helpful as I want them to be.

So I question the appropriateness of continueing to try with them and risking developing complications or just settle for my life as it is and accept a lable of some other neuro disorder.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!

I am sure many here know this kind of feeling like wanting to give up after all this time.

I just don't want to do the IV if it is not guaranteed to work.

I think Dr. F's study showed, the symptoms eventually return.

--------------------

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldfighter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldfighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, oral cephalosporins were ineffective for these sx, especially compared with minocycline. May depend on what strain you have, as they seem to work for some. And yes, mino definitely gets in the brain.
Posts: 621 | From US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

CaliforniaLyme,

Have you done the IV???? Were they successful for you?????

Thanks for the ideas.

I am allergic to sulfa for certain, learned that the hard way!

Flagyl made me darn right suicidal....but that was over a year ago, I may be up for it now....we'll see.

I've taken a break from babs treatment, can't hack it anymore.

--------------------

painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

ldfighter,

Did you try the mino for these types of symptoms?
Did they help?

I am just wondering when it is time to stop trying with antibiotics but have symptoms that are still interfering with my life.

I'm doing much homeopathically as well.

--------------------

ldfighter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldfighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by painted turtle:
ldfighter,

Did you try the mino for these types of symptoms?
Did they help?

Yes! For me, much more than other oral abx. Big neuro herx though. Everyone is different in terms of what works, but I wouldn't give up without trying mino since it's very safe, given for acne all the time.

I also second the vote for tinidazole, also gets in the brain well, but if you've had trouble with flagyl you need to be careful.

Rifampin might also help. Mino+Rifampin is a good combo for bart too.

Also - same goes for the other neuro sx you posted on the other thread (motor stuff). In my experience what works for cognitive works best for that as well, for the most part.

Posts: 621 | From US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me Rifampin was what finally cleared my mind and got me back to where I could focus like I could before I got sick. Its a tough drug for some to take but it cleared the brain fog like two rounds of I.V. Rochephin had not.

Patrick

Posts: 142 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chootik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi There.

Have you considered Viruses? I have EBV and when I was on Anti-Virals I totally got rid of the Brain fog! It's back now after I stopped the Anti-Viral to treat Lyme. A lot of Brain Fog issues are caused by viruses. I would also check that avenue.

Good luck.
Chootik

Posts: 247 | From Ca | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement