LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Grapefruit seed extract is a powerful in vitro agent against motile and cystic forms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grapefruit seed extract is a powerful in vitro agent against motile and cystic forms
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 2 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone read this? There's no abstract posted.

Infection. 2007 Jun;35(3):206-8.

Grapefruit seed extract is a powerful in vitro agent against motile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato.

Brorson O, Brorson SH.

PMID: 17565468 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ali--I think it was posted a bit ago, but thanks for

posting again. It's very much worth repeating!

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
meg,

Do you know if the actual study info posted? I'd love to read it. [Smile]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Member # 7645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto - someone please post it if you have it!

- JB

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

This is great news. I could not access the full abstract either. and no time to hunt for it right now.

GSE comes in liquid and capsule forms.

The liquid, even if diluted could burn the esophogus going down. Capsules may be best yet, even then, instructions as to with food or not may help prevent irritation.

However, this is such powerful and strong stuff that someone may be able to do a drop of GSE in a cup of water or something like that. Still, dosage instructions and how they did the study will be good to see.

I use GSE, just a drop on my toothbrush with toothpaste, and a drop later to swish with water for mouthrinse.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use GSE when I have thrush. I use 4 drops in a 3 oz. cup. You can burn your tongue if you use too much.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG!!!!!!

One drop of this stuff and I want to die.!!!!

I wish these docs had an answer.

Herx from hell. I think it kills the yeast and mycoplasma also.

Ill stick with chlorella and Flagyl for now.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwenb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwenb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use GSE and find it to be very powerful. I ramped up too quickly when I first started, 10 drops a day within a week, and was flat on my back with a brutal herx for a couple of days.

I now use about 14 drops a day no problem - you will need to mix it with juice as it is very very strong tasting.

Gwen

Posts: 227 | From vancouver,bc | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I soak our toothbrushes in GSE.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correspondence, you say? Interesting.

I found this:

Acta Pharm. 2004 Sep;54(3):243-50.

Antimicrobial activity of grapefruit seed and pulp ethanolic extract.

Cvetnić Z, Vladimir-Knezević S.

Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Zagreb, Croatia. [email protected]

Antibacterial and antifungal activity of ethanolic extract of grapefruit (Citrus paradisi Macf., Rutaceae) seed and pulp was examined against 20 bacterial and 10 yeast strains.

The level of antimicrobial effects was established using an in vitro agar assay and standard broth dilution susceptibility test. T

he contents of 3.92% of total polyphenols and 0.11% of flavonoids were determined spectrometrically in crude ethanolic extract.

The presence of flavanones naringin and hesperidin in the extract was confirmed by TLC analysis. Ethanolic extract exibited the strongest antimicrobial effect against Salmonella enteritidis (MIC 2.06%, m/V).

Other tested bacteria and yeasts were sensitive to extract concentrations ranging from 4.13% to 16.50% (m/V).

PMID: 15610620 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

and this:

J Altern Complement Med. 2002 Jun;8(3):333-40.Click here to read Links

Erratum in:
J Altern Complement Med 2002 Aug;8(4):521. Reagor Lana [corrected to Reagor Lee].

The effectiveness of processed grapefruit-seed extract as an antibacterial agent: II. Mechanism of action and in vitro toxicity.

Heggers JP, Cottingham J, Gusman J, Reagor L, McCoy L, Carino E, Cox R, Zhao JG.

Department of Surgery (Plastic), School of Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, USA. [email protected]

OBJECTIVES: Recent testimonials report grapefruit-seed extract, or GSE (Citricidal) to be effective against more than 800 bacterial and viral strains, 100 strains of fungus, and a large number of single and multicelled parasites.

This study investigated GSE for antibacterial activity at varying time intervals and concentration levels and tissue toxicity at varying concentrations in an effort to determine if a concentration existed that was both microbicidal and nontoxic and in what period of time.

DESIGN: Gram-negative and gram-positive isolates were introduced into graduated dilutions of GSE (twofold concentrations ranging from 1:1, through 1:512) for determination of bacterial activity.

In vitro assays with human skin fibroblast cells were also performed at the same dilutions to determine toxicity.

RESULTS: These tests indicated that from the 1:1 through the 1:128 concentrations, GSE remained toxic as well as bactericidal.

However, test results indicated that at the 1:512 dilution, GSE remained bactericidal, but completely nontoxic.

CONCLUSIONS: The initial data shows GSE to have antimicrobial properties against a wide range of gram-negative and gram-positive organisms at dilutions found to be safe.

With the aid of scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM), the mechanism of GSE's antibacterial activity was revealed.

It was evident that GSE disrupts the bacterial membrane and liberates the cytoplasmic contents within 15 minutes after contact even at more dilute concentrations.

PMID: 12165191 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--------------------

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll get it for you guys tonight--somebody--cave, PM me to remind me so I'll see the PM when I log on.

Though if its correspondence I don't know how they can say it works in vivo.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

I'd really appreciate if you can find out more info, oxygenbabe! [Big Grin] I'd REALLY like to know what that correspondence says!

The title did say "in vitro" so I guess maybe some in vivo studies might turn up somewhere down the road? I wonder if it's action is different from that of the other drugs they've susceptibility tested, that I know have been being used in vivo.

I Pubmed searched the author, "Brorson O". It seems he's done a lot of studies of in vitro susceptibility of Borrelia to different drugs.

It would seem that he enjoys playing with Bbs. [Big Grin]

1: Brorson O, Brorson SH.
Grapefruit seed extract is a powerful in vitro agent against motile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato.
Infection. 2007 Jun;35(3):206-8. No abstract available.
PMID: 17565468 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

2: Brorson �, Brorson SH.
An in vitro study of the activity of telithromycin against mobile and cystic forms of Borrelia afzelii.
Infection. 2006 Feb;34(1):26-8.
PMID: 16501899 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

3: Brorson O, Brorson SH.
An in vitro study of the susceptibility of mobile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi to tinidazole.
Int Microbiol. 2004 Jun;7(2):139-42.
PMID: 15248163 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

4: Brorson O, Brorson SH.
An in vitro study of the susceptibility of mobile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi to hydroxychloroquine.
Int Microbiol. 2002 Mar;5(1):25-31.
PMID: 12102233 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

5: Brorson O, Brorson SH.
Susceptibility of motile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi to ranitidine bismuth citrate.
Int Microbiol. 2001 Dec;4(4):209-15.
PMID: 12051564 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

6: Brorson O, Brorson SH, Henriksen TH, Skogen PR, Sch�yen R.
Association between multiple sclerosis and cystic structures in cerebrospinal fluid.
Infection. 2001 Dec;29(6):315-9.
PMID: 11787831 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

7: Henriksen TH, Nysaeter G, Madebo T, Setegn D, Brorson O, Kebede T, Berstad A.
Peptic ulcer disease in south Ethiopia is strongly associated with Helicobacter pylori.
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1999 Mar-Apr;93(2):171-3.
PMID: 10450442 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

8: Brorson O, Brorson SH.
An in vitro study of the susceptibility of mobile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi to metronidazole.
APMIS. 1999 Jun;107(6):566-76.
PMID: 10379684 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

9: Brorson O, Brorson SH.
A rapid method for generating cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi, and their reversal to mobile spirochetes.
APMIS. 1998 Dec;106(12):1131-41.
PMID: 10052721 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

10: Brorson O, Brorson SH.
In vitro conversion of Borrelia burgdorferi to cystic forms in spinal fluid, and transformation to mobile spirochetes by incubation in BSK-H medium.
Infection. 1998 May-Jun;26(3):144-50.
PMID: 9646104 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

11: Brorson O, Brorson SH.
Transformation of cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi to normal, mobile spirochetes.
Infection. 1997 Jul-Aug;25(4):240-6.
PMID: 9266264 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

12: Henriksen TH, Brorson O, Sch�yen R, Thoresen T, Lia A.
A simple method for determining metronidazole resistance of Helicobacter pylori.
J Clin Microbiol. 1997 Jun;35(6):1424-6.
PMID: 9163456 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

13: Henriksen TH, Brorson O, Sch�yen R, Thoresen T.
Risks related to lack of standardization of tests to detect in vitro metronidazole resistance in Helicobacter pylori.
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 1996 Jun;15(6):484-8.
PMID: 8839643 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

14: Henriksen TH, Brorson O, Sch�yen R, Thoresen T, Setegn D, Madebo T.
Rapid growth of Helicobacter pylori.
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 1995 Nov;14(11):1008-11.
PMID: 8654438 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--------------------

lymeflox
Member # 10543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeflox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One should be very careful when taking grape fruit (fresh or extract) as it is a very powerful inhibitor of the P450 citochrome system.

This means that if one is on one or several medications, it has to be studied in very close detail whether those medications are metabolized by the same cytochromes that are inhibited by the grape fruit.

If we take an antibiotic for instance, that is metabolized by enzymes that are not produced by the liver (or their production greatly diminished) while one takes grapefruit, the drug can reach such toxic levels as to cause very severe or permanent damage. Unfortunately.

It is a very commonly known fact for the medical class.

In fact if one takes any medication at all, it is recommended not to take grapefruit.

Posts: 94 | From canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's grapefruit juice and the fruit that affects absorption of medications.

The seeds don't do this, or at least that's what I've read on the GSE sites.

Maybe they're wrong?

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys, I'm sorry, but its not electronically available through my university, so I emailed requesting a PDF. Hopefully he'll send it soon.

Clearly he likes to study flagellated (is that a word?) organisms.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

lymeflox, thanks for the mention - I did not know that about GSE and C P-450

It's always good to know about anything that stresses the
C P-450 pathway. And, that does not always mean it's not possible to use, but added care can make a world of difference in those who may have stressed livers to begin with.

anything that inhibits the cytochrome P-450 liver detox system can also result in excess porphyrins and that can be very dangerous, especially if one is genectically predisposed to any type porphyria or may have acquired a chronic or "secondary porphyria" as with chemical exposures and some chronic illnesses such as CFIDS, Chlamydia pneumonia and possibly lyme/TBD.

Getting the liver stronger with very specific types of support may help. While everyone has a certain amount of porphryins in their body, in some cases where the detox enzymes are deficient or missing, excess porphyrins can be fatal.

These enzymes can NOT currently be replaced such as with pancreatic/digestive enzymes. Beta carotene, IV heme, and IV or oral glucose are the common treatment in emergencies.

Milk Thistle or Schizandra, separately, can help raise the
C P-450 enzymes and help protect the liver (in Tillotson: The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook). Of course, timing is importand as is medical guidance.

===========================

www.cpnhelp.org/secondaryporphyria

Secondary Porphyria: what you should know before starting a CAP

Submitted by Jim K on Wed, 2006-02-08 11:18.

Cpn induced secondary porphyria

=============================

http://www.cpf-inc.ca/

CANADIAN PORPHYRIA FOUNDATION

Call (in Canada) 204-476-2800 or toll-free at 1-866-476-2801

===================================

www.porphyriafoundation.com/ Another great site.

AMERICAN PORPHYRIA FOUNDATION

==================================

They have Guides to Medication in Porphyria. I don't know if grapefruit seed extract or other complementary ingredients that may be C P-450 inducers would be on either foundations' list, however.

If you wonder if a medication or a specific ingredient pushes the
C P-450 system, I'd first consult the two foundations listed above.

You can do a search several ways through
PubMed: -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

" name, C P-450" " name, Cytochrome P-450" "name, porphyria" "name, porphyrins"

The C P-450 pathway has offshouts with other numbers but I've not gone into that.

The thing is that I don't know the context of the term "induce" in article below. So, this might be what you come up against looking for a quick answer. I'd need to ask my doctor what this means:

http://tinyurl.com/2ldlvp

Mol Pharmacol. 2005 Jun;67(6):1954-65. Epub 2005 Mar 10.

ABSTRACT:

Antimalarial artemisinin drugs induce cytochrome P450 and MDR1 expression by activation of xenosensors pregnane X receptor and constitutive androstane receptor.

================================

Here's another on interest:

http://tinyurl.com/26qv6e

Mol Pharmacol. 2006 Jul;70(1):329-39. Epub 2006 Apr 11. Links

ABSTRACT:

Ketoconazole and miconazole are antagonists of the human glucocorticoid receptor: consequences on the expression and function of the constitutive androstane receptor and the pregnane X receptor.

excerpt:

In primary human hepatocytes, ketoconazole inhibits the expression of . . . including cytochromes P450 (P450) CYP2B6, CYP2C9, and CYP3A4; UDP-glucuronosyltransferase 1A1, glutathione S-transferases A1 and A2; and transporter proteins (phase III) solute carrier family 21 form A6 and multidrug resistance protein . . . . cont'd at link
--------------------------

SO - I see some key words here and way more fancy words than I even knew existed, but I can take this to my doctor and ask about about it in relation to liver clearance and what I need to know or do.

-

[ 04. December 2007, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

The seeds are different. However I was told they have something a little bit poisonous in them which is what is antibacterial.

Also this is only in vitro. To get enough in your tissues you might end up a grapefruit seed yourself! [Wink]

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Here is a copy of the study. Sorry for the formatting, if someone else can copy this and put into a word document, fix it and post it, I will delete this fugly unformatted one. I just don't have time to fix it all up. This is the way the PDF document copies.

To sum up, this is interesting in vitro and might help in vivo who knows. Doses of course, we don't know, we don't know tissue concentrations. Certainly is used already for fungal issues in alt. med so why not borrelia.
--
Edit: deleted, AliG fixed it up thanx!

[ 05. December 2007, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: oxygenbabe ]

AliG
Member # 9734

OXYGENBABE!!!! [kiss] Thanks so much!!! YOU'RE THE GREATEST!!!

(Now I just have to read it....) I just did a quickie reformat and got interrupted several times. I have to double check to see if it's legible & make sure nothing got omitted. I'm posting, but please don't delete your until one of us makes sure it's right. [Big Grin]

Thanks again!!! [kiss]

quote:
Originally posted by oxygenbabe:

Here is a copy of the study. Sorry for the formatting, if someone else can copy this and put into a word document, fix it and post it, I will delete this fugly unformatted one. I just don't have time to fix it all up. This is the way the PDF document copies.

To sum up, this is interesting in vitro and might help in vivo who knows. Doses of course, we don't know, we don't know tissue concentrations. Certainly is used already for fungal issues in alt. med so why not borrelia.

206 Infection 35 � 2007 � No. 3 � URBAN & VOGEL
Infection Correspondence

Grapefruit Seed Extract is a Powerful in vitro Agent Against Motile and Cystic Forms of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato Lyme borreliosis [1], caused by Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato, may lead to long-term tissue infection, which may be difficult to cure.

The outcome of Lyme borreliosis is highly dependent on the antibiotic treatment [2].
The observation of the ability of B. burgdorferi sensu lato to convert (and reconvert) to cystic forms [3-5] may explain why the infection sometimes is persistent and reactivating.

Therefore, it might be important to eradicate all germative forms (not only the motile form) of the bacterium to obtain a proper treatment for Lyme borreliosis.

Grapefruit-seed extract (GSE) contains bioactive flavenoids (e.g., hesperitin, resveratrol, and naringenin) and has been shown to possess anti-microbiological effect against bacteria and fungus [6,7].

Many studies indicate that GSE is a substance whose therapeutic effect ranks equal to or better than other known anti-bacterial agents.

Positive effects of GSE are decreased levels of TNF-α, Nuclear factor Kb, NO, protection of the gastrointestinal tract against mechanical stress, and has anti-allergic and other antioxidative properties [8, 9].

Naringenin, hesperidin and other citrus flavones have been found in plasma and tissue after ingestion [10].

Lactobacillus and bifidobacteria in the gut seems to be insignificantly affected by GSE [6], and no severe side effects have been observed.

B. burgdorferi sensu lato has a gene for efflux mechanism which may be responsible for antibiotic resistance[11].

GSE is an efflux inhibitor, which can be used to enhance the activity of antibacterial agents [12].

For the reasons mentioned above it is reasonable to test the hypothesis that motile and cystic forms of B. burgdorferi sensu lato will be susceptible to GSE, and this is the aim of our study.

The bacterial strain used in our experiments was B. afzelii ACA-1.

Production of mobile spirochetes and cystic forms was performed according to our previous procedure[13].

Grape fruit seed extract 33% (Citrosept; Cintamani Europe AS, 2071 R�holt, Norway) was diluted in distilled water, sterile filtered by a 0.2 μm filter, and diluted geometrically in 5 ml Nalgene tubes from 0.33%-0.00064% in 2 ml of diluted BSK-H medium (dilution 1:100 in distilled water).

The control was diluted BSK-H. Two ml suspension of cystic forms at an age of 1 h was added to each of the tubes giving a final GSE concentration of 0.165%-0.00032%.

Susceptibility testing of mobile spirochetes to GSE was performed in a final dilution of GSE from 0.165% to 0.00032% in BSK-H medium.

Forty microliter of 107/ml bacteria in logarithmic growth was added, making the final volume 4 ml in each tube. One control with only BSK-H was used.

To examine if GSE could prevent the conversion of mobile spirochetes to cystic forms, testing was also performed in distilled water for 1 h at 34 �C. One control with only distilled water was used.

Motile bacteria in distilled water and BSK-H medium were incubated aerobically.

The tubes with the mobile borrelia in BSK-H medium and the cysts in diluted BSK-H were examined by Dark Field Microscopy (DFM) (400�) after 1 h and 7 days to detect presence of eventual mobile spirochetes and intact cysts.

Bacteria exposed to GSE in water were examined by DFM at 400� to examine the ratio of cyst/bacteria.

Vital staining was performed on bacteria exposed to GSE for 1 week by mixing 10 μl of Live/dead BacLight� bacterial viability kit (Molecular Probes L-13152 Eugene, OR, USA) with 10 μl of the culture.

This mixture was placed on a glass slide protected with a coverslip. The BacLight-stained bacteria were examined by UV-microscopy (800�).

Infection 2007; 35: 206-208
DOI 10.1007/s15010-007-6105-0

�. Brorson
Dept. of Microbiology, Sentralsykehus i Vestfold HF, T�nsberg, Norway
�. Brorson
College University of �stfold, Fredrikstad, Norway
S.-H. Brorson
Institute of Pathology, Faculty Division Rikshospitalet, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
S.-H. Brorson (corresponding author)
The Pathology Clinic, Rikshospitalet-Radiumhospitalet Medical Centre, 0027 Oslo, Norway; Phone: (+47/23) 0714-94, Fax: -10,
e-mail: [email protected]

Received: April 19, 2006 * Revision accepted: December 21, 2006

�. Brorson, S.-H. Brorson
Citrosept Against Borrelia burgdorferi
Infection 35 � 2007 � No. 3 � URBAN & VOGEL 207

The following cultures of spirochetes and GSE were examined by transmission electron microscopy (TEM) as earlier described [13]:

- motile spirochetes incubated for 1 week with GSE at a dilution of 0.0052%, 0.0026%, 0.0013% and a control without GSE in BSK-H medium,

- motile spirochetes incubated for 1 h with GSE at a dilution of 0.165%, 0.0825%, 0.0413%, 0.01% and a control without GSE in BSK-H medium,

- motile spirochetes incubated for 1 h with GSE at a dilution at 0.0413%, 0.0052%, 0.0013%, 0.00064% and a control without GSE in distilled water, and

- 1 h old cysts incubated for 1 h with GSE at a dilution of 0.021%, 0.01%, 0.0052%, 0.0013%, 0.00064% and a control without GSE.

GSE-exposed cultures were recultivated in BSK-H medium as earlier described [13] to confirm or invalidate the existence of viable bacteria.

MBC of the mobile spirochetes was determined by recultivation of GSE-ex posed spirochetes, and the owest GSE concentration where no growth occurred was set as the MBC value.

The MIC value for mobile spirochetes was determined according to the lowest GSE concentration, which gave reduced multiplication when examined in DFM.

When the susceptibility testing for mobile spirochetes was performed in distilled water, the rate of conversion was strongly dependent on the GSE concentration.

After incubation for 1 h at 34 �C the number of spirochetes converted to cysts ranged from none at GSE concentration of 0.165%-0.0052%, 10% at 0.0028%, 20% at 0.0013%, 95% at 0.00064%, and > 95% in the control when examined in DFM.

By TEM, the dilution of 0.0013% showed a very few cysts; the dilution of 0.00064% showed many normal cysts but not as many as in the control.

Susceptibility testing of normal mobile borrelia exposed to GSE at 34 �C for 1 h revealed motile bacteria at concentrations ≤ 0.01%.

After 5 weeks of incubation in fresh BSK-H medium, motile spirochetes were observed only at the dilutions ≤ 0.021%.

By TEM some bacteria with normal appearance (compared to the control) were observed in the concentration of 0.041%, which is set to be the MBC (Figure 1).

When the mobile spirochetes were exposed to GSE for 1 week at 34 �C in fresh BSK-H medium the estimated MBC was 0.0052% and MIC was ≤ 0.00032%.

Four weeks of cultivation revealed 107 bacteria/ml in the 0.0026% dilution.

However, BacLight� showed green structures (green color indicates living organisms) only from the 0.0013% dilution.

This corresponded well with results obtained by TEM.

Rupturing was observed by TEM and DFM for 100% of the 1 h old cysts which had been incubated in GSE from 0.165%-0.021%; for GSE-dilutions from 0.01%-0.00064% rupturing was observed for 90%-5%

Figure 1.

(a) Spirochetes incubated for 1 h at 34 �C with 0.165% GSE diluted in BSK-H medium.
Only a very few pycnotic bacteria were present. Most bacteria were completely dissolved.

(b) Spirochetes exposed to 0.041% GSE. The bacteria have a normal ultrastructure.
TEM. Bar = 500 nm.

Figure 2.

(a) One hour old cysts incubated for 1 h at 34 �C in BSK-H medium with 0.0013% GSE. A few
normal and some dissolved cysts were present.

(b) The same cysts as in A, but exposed to 0.00064% GSE. The number of normal cysts present was approximately the same as in the control.

(c) The cysts in B were transferred into fresh BSK-H medium and incubated for 5 weeks in 34 �C. Many normal spirochetes were present. TEM. Bar = 1,000 nm. (most rupturing for the less diluted GSE). For the negative control > 98% cysts occurred intact.

When transferred to BSK-H medium, motile bacteria were observed after following incubation time: 14 days for the control and GSE dilution 0.00032%; 5 weeks for the 0.00064% dilution; no re-growth for higher concentrations (Figure 2). Therefore, the MBC was calculated to 0.0013%.

The highest GSE concentrations made the bacteria and cysts disappear completely, leaving only small uncharacteristic fragments; at lower GSE-levels the membranes showed herniation and disruption, and the contents had leaked out.

The MBC was strongly dependent on the length of the incubation. GSE was very active even for very short incubation times, in agreement with previous results [7].

The MBC obtained by DFM for the motile bacteria agreed well with the TEM results.

Presence of GSE reduced the conversion from spirochetes to cysts when the susceptibility testing was performed in distilled water.

This study was performed in vitro and further studies are needed to demonstrate eventual effects in vivo.

From our results it will be rational to test the hypothesis that a combination of GSE and antibiotics will be efficient in the treatment of resistant Lyme borreliosis.

�. Brorson, S.-H. Brorson
References
1. Hengge UR, Tannapfel A, Tyring SK, Erbel R, Arendt G, Ruzicka T:
Lyme borreliosis. Lancet Infect Dis 2003; 3: 489-500.
2. Petrovic M, Vogelaers D, Van Renterghem L, Carton D, de Reuck J, Afschrift M:
Lyme borreliosis -- a review of the late stage and treatment of four cases. Acta Clin Belg 1998;
53: 178-183.
3. Gruntar I, Malovrh T, Murgia R, Cinco M: Conversion of Borrelia garinii cystic forms to motile spirochetes in vivo. APMIS 2001;
109: 383-388.
4. Hul�nsk� D, Bart�k P, Hercogov� J, Hancil J, Basta J, Schramlov� J:
Electron microscopy of Langerhans cells and Borrelia burgdorferi in Lyme disease patients.
Zbl Bakt 1994; 280: 348-359.
5. Preac Mursic V, Wanner G, Reinhardt S, Wilske B, Busch U, Marget W:
Formation and cultivation of Borrelia burgdorferi
spheroplast L-form variants.
Infection 1996; 24: 218-225.
6. Ionescu G, Kiehl R, Wichmann-Kunz F, Williams CH, Bauml L, Levine S:
Oral citrus seed extract in atopic eczema: in vitro and in vivo studies on intestinal microflora.
J Orthomolec Med 1990; 5: 155-157.
7. Heggers JP, Cottingham J, Gusman J et al:
The effectiveness of processed grapefruit-seed extract as an antibacterial agent: II. Mechanism of action and in vitro toxicity.
J Altern Complement Med 2002; 8: 333-340.
8. Zayachkivska OS, Konturek SJ, Drozdowich D, Konturek PC, Brzozowski T, Ghegotsky MR: Gastroprotective effects of flavenoids in plant extracts.
J Physiol Pharmacol 2005; 56(Suppl 1): 219-231.
9. Tsai SH, Lin-Shiau SY, Lin JK: Suppression of nitric oxide synthase and the down-regulation of the activation of NF B in macrophages by resveratrol.
Br J Pharmacol 1999; 126: 673-680.
10. Mohsen MA, Marks J, Kuhnle G, Rice-Evans C, Moore K, Gibson G, Debnam E, Srai SK:
The differential tissue distribution of the
citrus flavanone naringenin following gastric instillation.
Free Radic Res 2004; 38: 1329-1340.
11. Fraser CM, Casjens S, Huang WM, Sutton GG, Clayton R, Lathigra R, White O et al:
Genomic sequence of a Lyme disease spirochaete,
Borrelia burgdorferi.
Nature 1997; 390: 580-586.
12. Abulrob AN, Suller MTE, Gumbleton M, Simons C, Russell D:
Identification and biological evaluation of grapefruit oil components as potential novel efflux pump modulators in methicillinresistant
Staphylococcus aureus bacterial strains. Phytochemistry 2004; 65: 3021-3027.
13. Brorson �, Brorson SH:
An invitro study of the susceptibility of mobile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi to metronidazole.
Acta Pathol Microbiol Immunol Scand 1999; 107: 566-577.

[ 05. December 2007, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From our results it will be rational to test the hypothesis that a combination of GSE and antibiotics will be efficient in the treatment of resistant Lyme borreliosis.

Hope so!!
But heck Ill bet theres thousands of things that would kill Bb in seconds in a dish .

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sal66
Member # 13223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sal66     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about it interactions with other Meds? Some Meds or at least some pain meds say do not drink grapefruit juice but I forgot the reason. "Lyme Fog", sorry.
Posts: 30 | From enfield,ct | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Citrosept:
47% Vegetable glycerine
33% Citricidal grapefruit seed extract
20% Water

[Big Grin]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

.....and one step further [Big Grin]

Exerpt from: Grapefruit seed extract

Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine by Judith Sims

Preparations

Grapefruit seeds and pulp contain a combination of bioflavonoids and polyphenolic compounds.

The polyphenols are unstable but are chemically converted during the GSE synthesis process into more stable substances that belong to a class of compounds called quaternary ammonium compounds.

The active quaternary ammonium compound in GSE believed to be responsible for its antimicrobial properties is a diphenol hydroxybenzene complex.

The antimicrobial activity appears to develop in the cytoplasmic membrane of the microorganisms.

The active ingredients disorganize the cytoplasmic membrane so that the uptake of amino acids is prevented.

At the same time there is a leakage of low molecular weight cellular contents through the cytoplasmic membrane.

Studies have also shown that GSE inhibits cellular respiration.

The extract is prepared by grinding grapefruit seeds and pulp into a fine powder.

The powder is dissolved into purified water and distilled to remove fiber and pectin.

The distilled slurry is spray dried at low temperatures forming a concentrated grapefruit bioflavonoid powder.

This concentrated powder is dissolved in vegetable glycerin and heated.

Food grade ammonium chloride and ascorbic acid are added.

This mixture is heated under pressure where it undergoes catalytic conversion using natural catalysts, including hydrochloric acid and natural enzymes.

The slurry is then cooled, filtered, and treated with ultraviolet light.

Residual ammonium chloride in the final product is between 15 and 18%; residual ascorbic acid is between 25 and 35 mg/kg.

There is no residue of hydrochloric acid in the final product.

In the United States, standardized GSE contains 60% grapefruit extract materials and 40% vegetable glycerin.

A powdered form of GSE is also available that contains 50% grapefruit extract materials, 30% silicon dioxide, and 20% vegetable glycerine.

To treat infections, 15 drops in 8 oz of water is used. For diaper yeast infections and as a vaginal douche, 10-15 drops of grapefruit seed extract is used in 4 oz of water.

Precautions

GSE has been shown to be non-toxic at levels many times greater than the recommended dosages.

Even when taken daily, GSE seldom produces a significant allergic reaction.

However, people who are allergic to citrus fruits should exercise caution in the use of GSE.

Citricidal�, the brand name of a GSE product in the United States containing 60% grapefruit seed extract in an aqueous, vegetable glycerine solution, has, in the United States, been labeled as GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) in the Code of Regulations.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Citricidal� for cosmetic preparations. In addition, Citricidal� has also been approved by the FDA for the disinfection of foods.

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

Citricidal Technical Data

--------------------

Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The manufacturer of Citricidal says studies showing toxic chemicals in GSE are erroneous.

I've read rumours of Chemicals in Grapefruit Seed Extract?

Newsgroups and email groups have received postings to the effect that Grapefruit Seed Extract contains Triclosan, Benzelthonium Chloride, or Methyl Paraben.

The source of this type of report comes from both Germany and Japan, where Citricidal� is not approved for human consumption. The reason for erroneous findings in these reports is Citricidal� is very similar in molecular weight to both Benzelthonium Chloride and Triclosan, both of which are effective disinfectants, but are toxic to human and animal life.

In Germany their test (which is not well documented at all) for Benzelthonium Chloride, Triclosan, and M.Paraben came up positive (which is more correctly called a "false positive") and in Japan, the same is happening for Triclosan.

USDA found benzelthonium chloride in its 2001 test. Was this a simple error or a deliberate attempt to scare people away from Citricidal� and Nutribiotic products?

Meanwhile, Citricidal� has been tested for the presence of these toxins by independent labs, and has been proven clean. (Ex: Weston Gulf Coast Laboratories, Inc., University Park, IL, test completed in March of 1992. Tested for heavy metals, Cyanides, Pesticides and PCBs and Benzelkonium Chloride. Results: None Detected.)

In fact, the accusations about triclosan (used in many dish and hand soaps in the US) became so frequent a few years ago, that Citricidal� began specifically testing each batch of Grapefruit Seed Extract for its absence, and providing a Certificate of Analysis to that effect.

The truth is, Citricidal� is not only effective, it has been in use for decades and recommended by many high profile doctors and healthcare professionals. If these allegations had any validity, there certainly would be a history of complaints and judgements against the product, and it would have been removed from the market many years ago.

Triclosan has recently been compared to "Agent Orange" in toxicity. The EPA rates triclosan as "highly toxic". The US FDA made inspections of the Nutribiotic manufacturing facility back in the 1990's and found no chemical preservatives; and the formula is the same today.

Such rumours are false, and are not a threat to those armed with accurate information. The test reports from Germany and Japan and the USDA are certainly bothersome, but they have produced "false positives", not accurate profiles. The vast body of evidence from many years of use by thousands of satisfied consumers, doctors, manufacturers, and veterinarians, speaks most loudly against such reports.

Posts: 590 | From Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone used citrocept for the cystic forms of borrelia? I found a website that sells it. It's from England, I think. Livingiseasy.co.uk

I was wondering if it would be worth it to use this. Does it work for babesia, too?

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GSE makes me herx like hell and leaves me suicidal
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymeherx101, that is something. Did you take the drops? Can you start with just a low dose to see how it goes? What dosage were you on that it affected you so badly?

Thanks for the info.

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

I don't know if an organic source is possible to get around "added ingredients"

I use a few drops on my toothbrush - instructions are to rinse well. It really helps my gums.

So, for anyone who uses a drop or two in water, be sure to rinse your teeth well.

I wonder if it might irritate esoph. and GI lining - enteric coated capsules might be best to bypass, if so.

-

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Yes Cheryll, I started with 1-2 drops. I first did 3 and was out for 3 hours, had nightmares where I was stuck out of my body and I was dead or something like that. THen I woke up suicidal.

THe last time I tried 1 drop it was hell. FIrst my skin started to burn, then my face and then everything looked grey, I got very tired to lay down. Same thing happened. Had nightmares and woke up wanting to die!

I am very sensitive now to the toxins. I dont know what is really going on. Im looking into Shoemakers proticol. I take chlorella and Im going to start the sauna again.

Be well.

quote:
Originally posted by CherylSue:
Lymeherx101, that is something. Did you take the drops? Can you start with just a low dose to see how it goes? What dosage were you on that it affected you so badly?

Thanks for the info.

CherylSue

zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a lot of info on grapefruit seed extract at pureliquidgold.com
Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement