LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Flagyl Monotherapy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flagyl Monotherapy?
lymeHerx001
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So right now Im only taking Flagyl.

Has anyone ever heard of people getting better from Flagyl alone?

I was on Biaxin for about 2 years strait. It plateued and made me constipated.

Flagyl is doing something. I do notice some more energy from it and less swollen brain feeling.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyflyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my third week on Flagyl, only Flagly, 200 mg 3 times a day.

Felt really great for the first couple weeks. Little bit of gastro problems, but that's about all.

Few days ago started feeling really bad again, worse than I've felt in over a month.

I'm just riding it out as part of the cycle. Don't know if it's a herx or just part of the "you think we're gonna go away that quickly you're crazy" reminder from the spirochetes.

--------------------
Jennifer

Posts: 266 | From Ocean County, NJ | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymedesign
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedesign     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

My husband is currently doing 200mg flagyl 3x a day only. Previously he was on doxy alone, and Riframpin (sp?) alone. He has made good progress on the Flagyl.

Jenny, hi to another Ocean County Lymnetter!!

Posts: 263 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyflyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear your husband is doing well on the Flagyl, lymedesign. How long has he been on it?

--------------------
Jennifer

Posts: 266 | From Ocean County, NJ | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats good news about your husband
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Ive been on the Flagyl strait for almost a month and now Im starting to get some itching down under....

Im male btw

Zith did the same thing but only after a couple of days.

Hope this is just the coffee [Smile]

jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Um, can men get yeast infections "down below"? Don't laugh, I seriously have no idea. [Smile]

I had itching all over my body when I first went on Doxy a couple months ago but it went away after a few days.

--------------------
Jennifer

Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pulse flagyl, but boy oh boy it is a med that

Really causes yeast problems for me.

Rifampin did too.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

I keep meaning to ask: What does it mean to "pulse" a medication?

--------------------
Jennifer

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

pulse means that you dont take it every day,,, thats all.

And I find it weird that people report yeast on it. Even in the side effects black tounge is a side effect of Flagyl.

Whats strange is that its both an antiviral and anti protozal agent, meaning that it kills both yeast and parisites.

My LLMD said that they really dont know how it works. I wonder if it really is just killing the probiotics that I take. If thats the case, then why do I even take the probiotics at all?

jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Good point. I can tell you I've had less of a yeast problem since I started taking the Flagyl. And I haven't changed my probiotic intake at all.

My sister is a RN and is doing some investigating for me at the hospital she works at, trying to find out more about this drug.

--------------------
Jennifer

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Jennifer that would be awesome.

I wouldnt be supprised at all to learn that these drugs effect different Genotypes in a different way. That is they act in vitro different than in vivo.

These drugs havent been tested enough,,, why?

MONEY!!!!!!!!

AIDS and cancer make all the money. Also theres probablly no reason to test what beneficial biotic strains that Flagyl kills.

I am feeling better though, but what the cost?
I do want my intestinal flora back.

Lemon2Lyme
Member # 13561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon2Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would be a good pulse schedule for Flagyl or Plaquenil?

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 36 | From Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

my llmd said take flagyl 3-4 days a week in a row!

I used to pulse biaxin untill I was able to really increase it alot. Then I took it every day and I think it killed all the bifidus in my gut and then I got terrible yeast and an MCS

Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl can cause a yeast over growth.

I have also seen where the flagyl cream has been Rx'd for some types of vaginitis.

My neighbor, a RN with Lyme, has the same yeast issues on flagyl as I do.

Go figure.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

If its Rx'd for vaginitis, then ..

well I just wikid it and found vaginitis can be caused by

Candidiasis: vaginitis caused by Candida albicans (a yeast) ,

Trichomoniasis: vaginitis caused by Trichomonas vaginalis (a protozoan),

Bacterial vaginosis: vaginitis caused by Gardnerella (a bacterium).

go figure... Im taking a small break and Im gonna load up on probiotics

stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never got well on that tx. I did flagyl and then tinda max, I only got worse.

Then not long after major sadness set in, I felt like an emotional fruitake. [dizzy]

Not long after I got off that med back to my ol' happy self.

I got better on the combo tx plan.

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Flagyl calms me down more then XanaX
lymedesign
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedesign     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenny to answer your question about how long my husband has been on Flagyl,

He was supposed to take 200 mg 3x a day for a month, but it took longer for him to build up to 3 a day. So, it has actually been 3 months and he is finally there and might be able to stop in mid December. He did have some herxing, although not too bad. His main problem is remembering to take them.

My daughter pulses Flagyl 3 days a week. She did have a strong herx reaction in the beginning, now it is getting easier each week. She has been doing this for 12 months. She reacted to this abx within hours of taking it. No other abx have given her such an immediate reaction. This past summer she was symptom free for a couple of months, but with the arrival of Fall, she has been symptomatic again.

Posts: 263 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Im still on this and I think its working. I dont know why. I am affraid though of being on it long term and getting damage.

Since I get neuroptahy anyway how would I know if its killing ME and not the LYME!!

Why does the Flagyl calm down my brain too! I dont get that.

I kinda wanna take more. Im on 500 twice a day, should I go ER???? Help please

lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl,metronidazole was what I was on....the metro....250mgs three times a day was what I

took for about two years and these seemed to keep my arthritis pain to a minimum.

I was also later told to take 500mgs twice a day. I tried it on a pulse schedule of only

weekends in between or with other abx. I did not like it at this high a dose twice a day. I

went back to doing it 250 three times a day whenever I pulsed.

This med is supposed to aid in busting up the cystic form the Bb can be forced into when attacked by other abx's.

I do believe that men can get a type of yeast situation down there. Scince my diabetes2

diagnosis I have had a couple boils down there and a rash every once in awhile. I tend to

attribute it to the other abx's I might be doing at the time and not the flagyl...When I

took nothing but flagyl for two years as a prophylactic and had no problems with yeast.

But I did when I used it with other meds. So I suspect it was the other meds. Possibly one med

too much for the body to NOT get yeasty...

This med can also cause neuropathy.
In some people it can cause lethargy/depression

if you tend to bend that way anyway.

This med can be tough on some individuals...it is tough on me at the 500mgs level but tolerable at the 250mgs three times a day.

You should experience a small herx after four days or four weeks.

If however you are also taking a spirochete killer with the flagyl you may experience a much

rougher herx....see the flagyl busts the spirochete out of it's cyst and then the

spirochetal abx wipes it out. Thus the neurotoxins released which make us sick/herx.

Hope this clears up a few of you. It's always a good practice to read the info that comes with

medication to know what you might be in for and ALWAYS ask your pharmacist what to expect.

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Thanks Tony.

I went back to taking Flagyl again. I was off the Biaxin for 6 months and did just Flagyl, then went to the Biaxin when I couldnt breate and my feet hurt terrible.

Now the biaxin does nothing again so its back to Flagyl.

I just took some and I swear I have more energy.

Its like that other person on this board that posted that Flagyl gave her tons of energy.

I think its that way with me too! [bonk]

njgirl14
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njgirl14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on flagyl only for the past 3 months. I have had to increase the dose slowly. Just went up to 1000mg day. Diflucan is now added in as yeast infection is coming on. I hope Dr will add other abx in next month. My LLMD says Flagyl works on babesia and lyme. Pharmacy sheet does say "kills bacteria and protozoa".

I am extremely tired although fatigue is a constant problem anyway. I take a 1-2 hr nap daily and I am in such a deep sleep. I have difficulty waking up and feel groggy.

Posts: 262 | From nj | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedish lyme sufferer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done 1500 mg IV Flagyl pulsed 10 days on 10 days off and so on, some people in germany takes it EVERY DAY this dosage, wiht clear improvment.

If you do not have side effects it is one of the best medications, my LLMD says it kills the DNA of Lyme AND other bacteria.

So it will kiill the **** in L-forms, spirochetes,, cysts......you name it, it KILLS!!

Posts: 347 | From sweden | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement