LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » problem maybe on the way?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: problem maybe on the way?
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been feeling fairly well the last few days, coming out of a herx. The only thing is, I had a little nausea the other day, and now it seems that I'm not digesting food at all.

So, I could have a minor stomach bug (or ate a problem food), but wonder if something serious could be brewing. I take doxy and ceftin, and take at least 50 billion probiotics 2 hours later.

And I'm planning a vacation starting next Monday, so of course something would pop up now!

My question: Is not digesting food a common indicator of something pertaining to this treatment that I should be doing something about? Or should I just wait it out and see if it's just a 'passing' thing? (sorry, had to pun it).

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean not digesting food??? Do you mean diarrhea?? If you have diarrhea you can try Saccharomyces Boulardii which is helpful for many cases of abx related diarrhea-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here comes too much information. Yesterday morning, I could tell I had eaten mushrooms and kale the night before.

So, I juiced veggies for lunch, and that's all I had. It came thru obviously untouched. Very weird.

However, just now, I did have a diarrhea episode, so I'm already reassured.

I just don't know what to watch for that would indicate that my gut is in serious trouble with high dose, long term abx treatment.

I appreciate your quick response. Where would I get Saccharomyces Boulardii?

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any good health food or natural food store- it is stored in refrigerated cases. HIV+/AIDS patients use longterm abx too and years back they discovered that it is excellent for antibiotic induced diarrhea for many people- not for all- like everything- but for the majority of people who take it it helps a lot*)!!!

It eats c. difficile which is the dangerous microbe!!! And eats candida!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

WOW! Thank you for that information! It's on my list right now. [kiss]
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it, too.

I also have to take VSL#3 in addition to Theralac AND Ultra Flora to keep the diarrhea away. VSL#3 has 450 billion organisms!

Getting rid of parasites helped my gut tremendously, too. I used Humaworm.

My constant diarrhea and lack of digestion predated my start of abx .... on abx, I have finally gotten my GI tract to work normally and regularly .... so it can be done. [Wink]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Wow, Six, I've only been using Ultra Flora Critical care, and for 3 months it's been enough.

I'll have to get your products on my list too.

Thanks a whole bunch. [kiss]

What would I do without this board?

Oh, would I get that VSL#3 at a health food store? I know the Theralac is thru the internet.

daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

I'm already feeling better. Plus, friends we saw recently have had a stomach flu, so I'm figuring that's what I've got.

I have some Saccharomyces Boulardii waiting for me to pick up Friday, when I go into town.

Whew...turn off the sirens now, it's over. [Smile]

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't sound like you need it now, but the VSL#3 is also available through the internet.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

WOWEE! 450 Billion!
I saved that site in my lyme folder.

Thanks!

I hope I never need it, but it's good to know such a seriously powerful product is out there.

daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Just when I thougt I was getting better and feeling pretty good, I woke up with a headache and now nausea. Bummer!

I wonder about taking saccharomyces boulardii along with probiotics. Would they be better off taken separately? I've been taking them together.

Also, I'm going off doxycyline while in the sun, per doctor's orders. I figure it might be a good idea to stop the ceftin too, since the bugs would just change form if I take just the one kind. That way, I could really build up my gut while I'm gone.

I feel like I'd feel ok for a week, since it's the bugs dying that causes the herx. Then, when I come back home I'll probably have a bad herx, since the bugs will have a chance to increase.

Of course, I'll be bringing the abx with me, and will respond if the need comes up.

Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Theralac and sacchormyces at the same time.

You may also need digestive enzymes, if it seems like a longer term issue of not digesting properly.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Aniek,
Thanks for responding. [Smile]

I do take digestive enzymes, and have been working with digestive issues thru my acupuncturist, who uses traditional chinese medicine. I'm much better than before.

CatWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatWoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah finally someone else who is taking VSL #3 too.
Posts: 255 | From where we don't have Lyme disease | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica922
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica922     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take saccharomyces boulardii (2 capsules) once a day usually at lunchtime. I take the probiotics (HLC) in the morning and dinnertime. So far this is working okay. I also take nystatin tablets...so basically I am a walking antibiotic/antifungal/antiyeast wonder..LOL.
Posts: 422 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

When I recently went to Florida, I only went off the Minocycline and stayed on the rest of the meds. It was really no problem. [Smile]

--------------------

daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Thanks, guys, for all the support.

I am still going around and around about dropping the ceftin, and took it this morning.

Anyway, I'll check in when I'm back. [hi]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement