LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need help from all you PICC line pros!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help from all you PICC line pros!!!
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted the other day about how nervous I was before getting a PICC line inserted...well I did it and everything went fairly well. My question is that I am supposed to be going to the Dr's office on Friday, but the place that put the line in thought I was going to go today (Wed), so they didn't tell me anything about how to care for it other than "only take tylenol for pain and make sure it doesn't get wet."

I have been successful at those two things, but I want to know if there is anything else I need to know. Do I need to have it flushed every day with saline? They gave me a little net thing to go over the dressing to protect the caps, etc. but it was really bothering me, so I took it off and put an Ace Bandage around the whole area...is that okay?

Finally, is there anything else any of you seasoned PICC line users think I should know? Thank you again!!!

Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beckyM
Member # 13944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beckyM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi knshore,

I am happy to hear you made it through the PICC insertion!

You absolutely need to call your doctor who ordered the line and tell them what is going on. And do this first thing this AM!!!

As for the ACE Bandage...I would NOT recommend using this. They tend to be put on too tight. I would recommend cutting the bottom off a new tube sock (have someone pick you up a pack if possible...they will come in handy!)

Good luck and call this morning! If you have no idea what they are doing!!!!

Becky

Posts: 68 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Glad that everything went ok for you!

You really need to call your doc or the people who placed your line pronto!

Usually line maintenance is done every 12 to 24 hours. Usually if your line is not in use, every 12 hours.

You need to be flushing with saline and heparin. Standard procedure is to check the line the next day (after insertion) and change the dressing.

Call your doctor okay? Someone should be able to take care of you until you see him/her.

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What everyone else said!! it is EASY to flush the line!!! You will be a PRO within a few days!!

but you NEED to do this or you WILL get a clot and that can be lethal!!! (although if you GET a clot, DON'T push it through, go to the hospital and they can either pull the line or dissolve it- I had a clot and they did that but it was a BIG deal- so just flush it!!!)

and pleeeeease answer on this thread when you do because until we hear BACK from you there are going to be some very worried Lymies hoping you are okay!!! I guarantee it-!!

Write back when you have flushed!!!
And flsuh flush FLUSH*)! that line*)!
I flushed my line a couple of times a day to be safe after I had the clot-
Best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keeping this up for knshore! Flush!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ballet1
Member # 13930

Icon 7 posted      Profile for ballet1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!,
I've had the privledge of having "2" picc lines put in and the first one was a "real pain!!"--if you know what I mean!!LOL But seriously, depending on the "brand" of "picc line" you have (mine is BARD), they usually supply you with a book. You obviously didn't get a book; but at least once a week; you will need to:
1. Have everything changed-bandage-(Tegaderm)which is to cover the whole picc line and 'clever'

2. My "brand-Bard"; says to only use the line with saline,--no heparine...(which one of the nurses that came to my home tried to use and did use on my line),--but, apparently, it's not necessary.

3. Do NOT under Bard circumstances; Get blood drawn out of the picc line as this can cause clots.

4. It should only be used for the necessary procedure you're having it used for and that's all... for me; my Doc uses it for Liquid Silver Hydrosol.

I hope this helps you...see if you can get a "book" from the manufacturer of your "picc line"--ok?

Sorry about the beginning and forgetting to use more space in between my sentences!!
Sincerely,
Ballet1

--------------------
Sincerely,
ballet1

Posts: 8 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you talk to Dr yet?

If not, what type of PICC is it? Did they give you a wallet card or anything?

I have the Bard- Grosgong nXt. I believe the info says you're OK to just flush once a week when you're not using it.

If it is a Groshong - nXt, DON'T LET ANYONE PUT A CLAMP ON YOUR LINE! The nurse at my 24 hour dressing change....Hey WAIT! You should be having one of those!!! Call the doctor!

Back to the clamp, nurse clamped the line which causes the special valve to stay open slightly & causes clots.

If it's a Bard, I looked up the info on their site when I had mine put in.
Bard - Groshong nXt
Bard - PICC Care and Maintenance

If it's not a Groshong nXt you can ignore most of that, except call the Dr! You'll need a dressing change & heparin flushes every 12 hours, I believe.

Do you have an infusion company? There should be an info packet in with the supplies & a number to call with questions.

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all of your responses. We are waiting for the nurse to call me back and to see what the Dr./nurses want to do about it. They said it should be flushed today, so hopefully they will be able to get me in to flush it.

The reason this is all so confusing is because the line isn't for Lyme tx...it's for iron IV's because I am so anemic. We are trying to get all of this done before we start the Lyme tx.

They did give me a booklet and the bran is "Arrow" but in the book it doesn't say anything about how often to flush it, it says to ask you nurse. That's a lot of help!!! LOL

Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scratch all the Bard info! [Roll Eyes]

Here's Arrow's site: www.arrowintl.com
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't a clue what brand my picc was-but I do know that within 24 hours of insertion I was flushing 2x daily with Heperin.

I also took a baby aspirin daily as a blood thinner.

I also wiped the end of the tubing with an alcohol wipe prior to sticking any syringes in. Even if the syringes were in sterile packaging.

picc line had a bandage over it, but then I used the ole tube sock cuff trick to contain the end of the tubing on my forearm.

I did not cover the red plastic clamp I had at the site because it was too irritating to my skin when covered- kept digging into my arm .

Cobby

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Cobby- flushing 2x a day is safer!!!!!!

Anemic!!! Have you been treated for Babs?!??!?!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

We are waiting to see my LLMD for the first time on the 14th! We can't wait...BUT in the mean time, I am so anemic, they have to keep my alive...lol.

I am going in today at 1.45 my time (I'm in CA) to have the nurse show me how to take care of the PICC. All of this is being done through my hematologist, but we are going to keep the PICC line in for the LLMD in case he wants to do IV abx.

Thank you for all your answers to my questions. The nurse sounded concerned, but the Dr. didn't...lol.

It is covered pretty well, because they dressed it in the O.R. when they inserted it, but I took off the net thing they put on because my skin didn't like it, and I am going to do the sock thing.

They also told me NOT to take anything to thin my blood...the OR nurse said do NOT take anything for pain other than tylenol. I'll ask about that today.

Kassandra

AliG
Member # 9734

quote:
Originally posted by knshore:

They also told me NOT to take anything to thin my blood...the OR nurse said do NOT take anything for pain other than tylenol. I'll ask about that today.

I think I freaked out Cobby & Sarah. Sorry, guys!
While it is OK to go a week without flushing the Groshong nXt, the infusion company still has me doing the regular 12 hr heparin flushes, just to be safe. [Big Grin]

I know NOTHING about Arrow & I believe the Groshong nXt is the ONLY Bard you can do that with (they've sworn to me it's OK to do that & it says it on the site, but I still wouldn't test it out. [shake] [Roll Eyes] )

The baby aspirin that Carol was talking about, I believe should wait until after the insertion site heals over. I believe they tell you no blood thinners & nothing but Tylenol so the site can heal. I forget how long they told me (48 hrs? 1 week?). I think it would depend on how fast you heal.

Check with the Dr., but I believe that's the reason why they say that.

--------------------

knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Update: I went to the hematolgists' office and got my "double lumen" flushed with saline and heparin! Yay! They are going to try to send out a Home Health Nurse who can teach me how to do all this stuff myself, but in the meantime I have to keep going back to the Dr's office.

Kassandra

sonicbmx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonicbmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my arm was swollen first few days but i stayed clear of pain meds in order to monitor the situation accurately.

i had an allergic reaction to BOTH the Tegaderm bandage and the fish net sleeve 10-14 days after my line was installed.. it nearly ruined treatment!

keep an eye on how your skin reacts to the materials.. something they fail to tell with you.

watch out for bleeding at the insertion point too (mine took 2-3 wks to stop). hospital screwed up and gave me a 2 port PICC which has a thicker line than single port - idiots!

i replaced the fish net sleeve with a knitted, elastic elbow support brace.. it protects and the port(s) tucks away under it nicely (sleep worry-free).

mine is here:
- http://www.jeancoutu.com/english/soins_ortho/catalogue/produit.cfm?ass_prod=580&id=9&prod_id=827

similar ones here:
- http://www.bracestore.com/proddetail.php?prod=Elbow_Support_-_Elastic_Pullover110&cat=9

- http://www.docortho.com/braces-and-supports/ceramic-healing/far-infrared-elbow-support.html

i use an ace bandage when i exercise and shower. they're temporary and tend to lose their shape after 2-3 days and unravel during sleep.

you'll flush daily once you start Abx.

your pharm should supply arm shower bags.. if not, use Saran Wrap.

good luck.. happy dripping or pushing!
--
sonicbmx

[ 12. December 2007, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: sonicbmx ]

--------------------
"The hell with Drs.. we have each other!"
My story began here:

http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=16210
http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=7833
http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=6873

Posts: 127 | From Van Nuys, CA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I have had two PICC lines and am about to get my third. You have to get your PICC line dressing changed within 24 hours of insertion. You also need to flush your PICC line once or twice a day with 10 ML or saline and 3-5 ml of heparin.

My doctor told me that regardless of the kind of PICC line, heperin will not hurt your line any but jsut ensure that your do not get blood clots. I have never heard of only taking tylenol for pain.

I took an aspirin every day when I got my PICC line in to reduce my risk of blood clots. I also used Percocet and Vicodin for pain control during this time. Glad everything went ok!

Lindsay

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew! I'm glad that that is settled!

Press and Seal sran wrap works great to kep dry while showering.

Rhonda

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Sonic,
I was told that it's a good thing to have 2 catheters because in case one goes bad, you still have another one. I have 2 also and the nurse said it was a really good thing.

Lulu,
I didn't know I was supposed to have the dressing changed 24 hours after!! AHH!!! I'll have to ask at the Dr's office today.

Kassandra

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement