LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dr. Jones update 12/5

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr. Jones update 12/5
fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CHARLES RAY JONES, M.D.

Madison Towers

111 Park Street, 1st Floor

New Haven, Connecticut 06511

Tel (203) 772-1123 Fax (203) 772-0682

December 5, 2007

Dear Friends,

I have appreciated the many expressions of support being conveyed to me by so many of you, and want to keep you apprised of the latest developments regarding the charges brought against me by the Connecticut Department of Public Health.

Almost as soon as I had issued my previous update to you, the hearing panel assigned to my case released its "Proposed Memorandum of Decision.'' This decision, which is preliminary, recommends that many of the charges against me be upheld and outlines the following sanctions: a reprimand from the Connecticut Medical Examining Board, a total civil penalty in the amount of $10,000, and a two-year supervised probationary period, to be conducted by a physician who will review my patient records at my expense. My license, however, was neither suspended nor revoked, nor was it recommended that it should be.

I want you to understand the potential impact of these recommendations, if they are allowed to stand. For example, the proposed decision states that I have been charged with failing to reconsider my diagnosis of Lyme disease in light of the negative Western Blot tests in April, 2005. It also states that I have been charged with diagnosing a disease in very low risk patients, with non-specific medical histories, non-specific signs and symptoms, and negative laboratory tests. Bear in mind that the record indicates that these patients had traveled to other states, had camped in Oklahoma, and had a history of tick attachments. A panel of the Connecticut Medical Examining Board has determined that the Connecticut Department of Public Health has sustained its burden of proof with regard to these charges, meaning that I am guilty as charged.

As you can see, these recommendations fail to take into account the unreliability of laboratory testing for Lyme disease. If they are not overturned, they will seriously impede my freedom to diagnose and treat Lyme and other tick-borne diseases based on my clinical judgment and expertise, despite the fact that I will be allowed to retain my medical license. Furthermore, these findings will set a dangerous precedent for other physicians treating Lyme disease. That is why we must prevail and, if we are unable to reverse these recommended findings, continue to oppose them in court.

The full board will consider the hearing panel's recommendations and proposed penalties at a formal hearing scheduled for December 18, 2007 at 1:30 p.m., at the Legislative Office Building, Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT, in Conference Room 2C. Written responses, or legal briefs, must be submitted before December 13. At the hearing, both sides will present oral arguments. My legal team will challenge the preliminary findings and the proposed sanctions. It is possible to see movement from a panel's ``Proposed Memorandum of Decision'' to an approved final decision, after the full board hears the oral arguments and reads the briefs.

I extend a warm and hearty welcome and encourage your attendance at this hearing. It is important to convey to the full board that this is a matter of considerable importance to the surrounding community. They have reserved a big conference room for this purpose, indicating that they are anticipating a very large turnout. We wouldn't want to disappoint them! Please bear in mind, however, that this will be our first public encounter with the full medical board. It is critical that we do not distract them, or disrupt the proceedings in any way. The press also is likely to show strong interest in these proceedings, and it will be important for them, as well as the members of the board, to see the Lyme community for what it is: responsible, dignified and appropriately involved.

Once again, I want to emphasize that your caring and concern during this process has been invaluable to me. As you know, your financial support has been essential as well, and your generosity has touched me deeply. I hope that you will continue to make donations, to the extent that you are able, to the Charles Ray Jones, M.D. Legal Defense Fund (http://www.lymesite.com/drjones.htm).

I send very best wishes for a healthy and happy holiday season.

Sincerely,

Dr. Jones

Charles Ray Jones, M.D.

Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sstone
Member # 11236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up
Posts: 32 | From MA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DJP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is an inconvenient time of year, but it is so important to show our support in numbers for Dr. J.

My children were treated by Dr. J and are fine, but I'm doing this for all those children who have been or will be bit and won't be diagnosed or be able to find treatment.

It is also critical in terms of impact on other Lyme practioners.

Please do everything you can to be there.
Deb

Posts: 441 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fatigued, would you edit and just put a note at the top that i have broken up his letter for us neuro lymies to be able to read/comprehend, thanks!

breaking up for me/others w/neuro problems reading!

quote:
Originally posted by fatigued15:
CHARLES RAY JONES, M.D.
Madison Towers
111 Park Street, 1st Floor
New Haven, Connecticut 06511
Tel (203) 772-1123 Fax (203) 772-0682

December 5, 2007

Dear Friends,

I have appreciated the many expressions of support being conveyed to me by so many of you, and want to keep you apprised of the latest developments regarding the charges brought against me by the Connecticut Department of Public Health.

Almost as soon as I had issued my previous update to you, the hearing panel assigned to my case released its "Proposed Memorandum of Decision.''

This decision, which is preliminary, recommends that many of the charges against me be upheld and outlines the following sanctions: a reprimand from the Connecticut Medical Examining Board, a total civil penalty in the amount of $10,000, and a two-year supervised probationary period, to be conducted by a physician who will review my patient records at my expense.

My license, however, was neither suspended nor revoked, nor was it recommended that it should be.

I want you to understand the potential impact of these recommendations, if they are allowed to stand.

For example, the proposed decision states that I have been charged with failing to reconsider my diagnosis of Lyme disease in light of the negative Western Blot tests in April, 2005.

It also states that I have been charged with diagnosing a disease in very low risk patients, with non-specific medical histories, non-specific signs and symptoms, and negative laboratory tests.

Bear in mind that the record indicates that these patients had traveled to other states, had camped in Oklahoma, and had a history of tick attachments.

A panel of the Connecticut Medical Examining Board has determined that the Connecticut Department of Public Health has sustained its burden of proof with regard to these charges, meaning that I am guilty as charged.

As you can see, these recommendations fail to take into account the unreliability of laboratory testing for Lyme disease.

If they are not overturned, they will seriously impede my freedom to diagnose and treat Lyme and other tick-borne diseases based on my clinical judgment and expertise, despite the fact that I will be allowed to retain my medical license.

Furthermore, these findings will set a dangerous precedent for other physicians treating Lyme disease.

That is why we must prevail and, if we are unable to reverse these recommended findings, continue to oppose them in court.

The full board will consider the hearing panel's recommendations and proposed penalties at a formal hearing scheduled for December 18, 2007 at 1:30 p.m., at the Legislative Office Building, Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT, in Conference Room 2C.

Written responses, or legal briefs, must be submitted before December 13. At the hearing, both sides will present oral arguments. My legal team will challenge the preliminary findings and the proposed sanctions.

It is possible to see movement from a panel's ``Proposed Memorandum of Decision'' to an approved final decision, after the full board hears the oral arguments and reads the briefs.

I extend a warm and hearty welcome and encourage your attendance at this hearing . It is important to convey to the full board that this is a matter of considerable importance to the surrounding community.

They have reserved a big conference room for this purpose, indicating that they are anticipating a very large turnout. We wouldn't want to disappoint them!

Please bear in mind, however, that this will be our first public encounter with the full medical board. It is critical that we do not distract them, or disrupt the proceedings in any way.

The press also is likely to show strong interest in these proceedings, and it will be important for them, as well as the members of the board,

to see the Lyme community for what it is: responsible, dignified and appropriately involved.

Once again, I want to emphasize that your caring and concern during this process has been invaluable to me.

As you know, your financial support has been essential as well, and your generosity has touched me deeply. I hope that you will continue to make donations, to the extent that you are able, to the Charles Ray Jones, M.D. Legal Defense Fund

(http://www.lymesite.com/drjones.htm).

I send very best wishes for a healthy and happy holiday season.

Sincerely,

Dr. Jones

Charles, great letter, and thanks for informing us of everything you know at this time!

can anyone give us the names of the FULL BOARD MEMBERS? THANKS! [group hug] [kiss]

thanks to the member posting site to see names of FULL board! i was curious NOT writing anyone, just wanted to view the names of decision-makers!

I'm NOT able to attend from Iowa, but you/counsel/other lymies attending will be in my thoughts and prayers that day and before then.

Wishing you as a good of a Christmas as you can get until after the 12-18 decision!

bettyg, iowa lyme activist! contributor

TO ALL NEWBIES! Please help Dr. Jones; he's our no. 1 KIDS LYME DR. NATIONWIDE; 1 of 12 or so treating KIDS !

[ 08. December 2007, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: bettyg ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea to break up the solid blocks of print, Betty.

I can accept that, if you make a note that you are doing it to make it more readable for fellow Lyme disease patients - as you have done.

However, highlighting passages and adding asterick breaks are forms of editing and make a difference in how the letter is read.

By doing that, you are publishing your version of someone else's words without their permission and without acknowledging that you are altering their utterance.

If you go to the State of Connecticut website, you can probably find out the names of the members of the Connecticut Medical Examining Board are. Are you plannng to contact them?

If so, please be sure that is something that Dr. Jones feels will be helpful. I kinda doubt it is a good idea.

Hope you are staying warm in Iowa!
Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ann, thank you for your comments; i did not know that! i edited my broken up version removing bolding and ****.

mom, thanks for link to WHO is on board; just curious; NO, i'm not writing anyone. just wanted to view names of deciding committee members!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Dept of Public Health SHOULD be investigated!
Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement