LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Warning regarding chitosan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Warning regarding chitosan
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd tell you my story of using Chitosan the past 6 weeks that turned out badly, specifically nanotek particle chitosan.

(EDIT): Chitosan has a large WARNING on the label that it may reduce absorption of fat soluble nutrients.

I research heavily before using any supplement or drug. I even contacted the manufacturer for proper use of this 'wonder' detox formula.

They informed me it was best taken on an empty stomach 30 minutes before a meal or 2 hours after. They informed me it would absorb "oils".

I knew this from my research, that Chitosan was first used as a weight loss supplement. Once taken it forms an absorbent gel in the intestines that attracts oils from food, supplements etc.

I was cautious about taking it around my supplement such as Vitamin E, or Omega 3's and took them 4-6 hours apart.

But the makers of nanotek Chitosan claim it has the ability to cross into the blood, and 'mop' up as well. With this link floating around and talking to the manufacturer, I decided to start taking it: http://www.nutricology.com/Nanomolecular-Chitosan-sp-59.html

Over the first few weeks I used it, I noticed a pain increase, which I blew off to normal detoxing. I already have widespread serious pain issues, but I noticed I was getting worse and worse. By week 6 all my symptoms were horribly increased.

My LLMD decided to order a Vitamin D test. The results came back as "critically low". I am now loading D and am struggling to get it back to normal levels.

It dawned on me that the Chitosan may be responsible. Again, the nanotek crosses into the blood, it mops up toxins, and oils. I studied the subject and found at different sites the following information:

Chitosan doesn't work much differently than psyllium. Too much of either will remove the good fat along with the bad. Psyllium absorbs 40% of its weight in water, which helps in elimination. But if you take it without enough food, you can cause yourself a lot of gut problems.

Another:

Chitosan blocks the absorption of fat. It will also block the absorption of any fat-soluble nutrients, like vitamins A, D, K and E, as well as fatty acids from flax-seed oil & fish oils.

This was my experience and I can't say if everyone would experience what I have. I cannot even say for certain Chitosan is to blame, but it is utterly ironic if it wasn't.

I felt it important enough to let you know that if you use this product and feel worse, this could be why.

Anyone with Ld should have their Vitamin D levels checked anyway. Ask your LLMD at your next visit to check it.

This is a list of symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency below, but it is only partial and there may be more than this. Definitely add to the list heart palpitations, anxiety, nerve, muscle and joint pain, autoimmune diseases, depression, chronic fatigue, weight loss, weight gain, rickets, cognitive function disorders, Celiac disease:

* Atherosclerosis
* Heart Disease
* Hypertension
* Breast cancer
* Colon cancer
* Prostate cancer
* Skin cancer
* Kidney disease
* Liver disease
* Multiple sclerosis
* Muscle Weakness (Myopathy)
* Chronic Pain
* Osteoporosis
* Osteoarthritis
* Periodontal disease
* Preeclampsia
* Psoriasis
* Tinnitus
* Mental Illness
* Depression
* Epilepsy
* Diabetes
* Obesity
* Ulcerative colitis
* Inflammatory bowel disease

[ 25. December 2007, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: lymebytes ]

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the exact same situation as cholestyramine which is used to bind biotoxins. Same problem with fats and vitamins.

edited to add:
cholestyramine can also cause an exacerbation of symptoms as it pulls out toxins.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm so sorry you had this experience, but thank you for sharing it. i have an unopened bottle of chitosan in my cupboard and now i'll definitely wait until i next see my LLMD to even consider trying it. i may not try it at all, as i'm taking other detox supplements that seem to be safer - chlorella, destroxin, apple pectin, beta sitosterol.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, thanks for posting this, Lymebytes.

I tried taking chitosan years ago when it first came out. The stuff was really constipating to me - perhaps it was removing some of the 'lubrication' I needed for my bowels to function.

Yes, I agree about the Vitamin D tests. Mine came out low also on the 25-D test.

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal experience with Nanotek Chitosan was amazing and still is - my herx was decreased dramatically, to the point where I could suddenly tollerate full dosages of AB's - I ran out and withing days my herx became so severe again I had to back of AB;s on my LLMD's advice - I have just received my delivery today and will start this product again. I also phoned the manufacturer a month ago to tell them my success story.

Personally this product has given me improvement beyond anything I have ever tried and has changed the way I feel dramatically - although I will keep an eye on my Vit D levels etc.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They say not to use it if you're allergic to shellfish.
I would be surprised if immediate increase in pain levels was because it was dropping Vitamin D, absorbing it. Was your vitamin D checked and normal before taking it?

Here's an opposite story: my Vitamin D was 32, lowish normal, optimal should be about double SUPPOSEDLY, and I took (by mistake actually, I misread the label and thought I was taking less) 2000 IU for about 2 weeks. I felt dramatically worse. My ears and sinuses flared up and even weeks after stopping have not calmed down, they're stuffed up and I'm dizzy. My bladder sphincter seemed to get relaxed and a few times it felt like after I went to the bathroom I was dribbling urine, *gross!* but as soon as I stopped that went away. I couldn't sleep as it wired me up so much. I will never supplement with Vitamin D again! It totally messed with my body in very odd ways. And, I do fine in the sun and love the summers.

We're all individual.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be a little cautious of anything that is "nano". They don't really have any long term studies of how this affects the body or the environment.
Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many lyme sufferers are low in Vit D (if not most??). With or without Chitosan.

I wonder if your values were lower even before this nano Chitosan?

Anyway, everything that detoxes, in my opinion, has to be taken with care... As it can detox good stuff like you wrote! Good minerals, fats, for example!

Unfortunately, that's what happen to most detoxifiers, and you have to add the good things it mopped. [Frown]

Chitosan is a supplement (not nano) that tests good sometimes for me (muscle tests), but not very often. I wonder why.

When it does test good, I feel it's a good help for detoxing (like today, I re-started it after more than 6 months without taking it!). It helped my hand swelling quite fast and I feel something in my brain (like 'clearing') quite fast.

I have been using it on and off since 2005. But it's not nano, just normal stuff. And as I said, I don't take it for many days because for some reason, it never tested good for long (I think a week is "long enough", if my memory is good).

But of course, I don't know if this is 'me' only or something general on Chitosan. I'm very thin and can't really lose fats either.
Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement