LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Discs in back deteriorating?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Discs in back deteriorating?
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just heard from someone who asked about discs in the back turning black and dying. Does anyone know of any other instances of this, and is it connected to Lyme disease?

Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about discs dying and turning black but it is thought by some lyme docs that the spirochetes weaken the discs and therefore cause gradual collasping of the spine. I had lyme that was untreated for 8 years and near the end of that 8 years I acquired severe sciatica.

Tried for a year to get an operation. They told me I did have a mild disc bulge but that excercise would help. Well...it made things worse. I was using a walker and it felt like I was walking on glass.

Finally they were going to operate. They found out that it was all severely compressed in there. It was a miracle...no more pain. It was right about that time I found out I had lyme and began treatment.

The operation had made the severe pain go away but I was still left with achy hips when I sat on unlevel surfaces. It seemed as if my ligaments or muscles were weakened also and were not holding me in place properly.

My lyme doc took me off antibiotics for a while and then I began to have neck problems. It's a long story but to make it brief....I was scheduled to have an operation on my neck but had to wait three months. One lyme doc asked that I have the disc material sent to the NIH to be cultured.

In the meantime my doc put me back on antibiotics. When the three months were up I went to Chicago for the operation. They did another myleogram just to be sure ....and there was no more disc bulge. Didn't have to be operated on.I think the antibiotics corrected the situation

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ann,

I also don't know about the disc turning black and dying, but I do know that my LLMD also talks about us lymies having all sorts of disc ailments that they feel are related.

In my case, I was told I had degernerative disc disease. It was very painful so after five years of not knowing what was wrong, it was good to see some test show something.

But the bad side was that since I knew nothing of lyme, they gave me the option of either surgery or epidural steroid injections. I felt injections would be safer than surgery, so would start with that....

I'm sure you know where it goes from there with the steroids and not a pretty sight. But atleast it made me bad enough at that point that I finally stumbled to the right doctor to ignore all my negative Elisa's and look deeper into it. The rest is history.

So although I can't say whether black and dead are lyme related, I do know that lyme definitely causes all sorts of craziness with discs.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wentworth
Member # 10359

Icon 3 posted      Profile for wentworth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
back disc and lyme. well I had 2 herniated disc's & then when I had pain mangement (a Storiod into the spine) I had gotten really sick chills fever pain in right eye neck and high liver count. well it turned out after all this plus back fusion on the L-4L-5 disc's that I had lyme.

my holestic Dr. said do you think it was lyme all along that gave you the disc problems....
HM I never thought of that.

yes and when they opened up my back the lyme disease went CRAZY,but Dr's were saying no you don't have lyme.
If they had caught it before my big surgery
perhaps I wouldn't have needed the surgery and then what followed afterwards [loco] [confused] [bonk] [bonk] would have not been hell on earth.

lyme is sneaky.They do attack your joints,
muscles & can mess up your nervous system.

Rocephin works great but you need it for along time,it will destroy your gallbladder.

but for sure I feel lyme messed up my back FOR YEARS cause it took YEARS to get the right diagnoses.lyme disease

--------------------
I feel like their's corruption with some Doctors about lyme disease

Posts: 23 | From Westchester NY | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy96734
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy96734     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say YES!

Before finding out I had Lyme I was dxed with Fibro and degenerative disc disease. I had a number of MRIs on my cervical and lumbar spine show more and more discs turning black. They couldn't give me a reason for it.

The ortho said I had the spine of an 80 year old, I was 32 at the time.

I had no trauma but my spine was a mess.

I had symptoms for over 5 years before dx of Lyme. The damage is done.

--------------------
Lucy

Posts: 342 | From Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucy, my story is very similar to yours, including the diagnoses and finding out about Lyme much later....

....however, I don't think my discs 'turned black'.... no one mentioned this to me and I can't read an MRI very well.

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mushroomman06
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mushroomman06     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sure that Lyme has a effect on the back and disks. I was diagnosed with Lyme 4-26-07. Was having back pain before that time and just put it aside as age and the bed I was sleeping in.

In June I had a bad Sciatica attack. Layed on the floor for 3 days and my movement was put to a halt. Took 7 weeks before any free movement could be made.

I was told that I had two bad disc, hoping no further serve attacks come about. I am sure that Lyme has attacked my back. Its better but far from good.

It looks like many people with Lyme do develop back problems. I have had so many other problems come about thru out my body. This Lyme is one heck of a life wrecking machine. My muscle are really paying a price

Posts: 108 | From maryland | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LocalMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11648

Icon 4 posted      Profile for LocalMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never had any sort of back/disc problems until last spring...exactly when (it turns out)I had a lyme relapse, 4 yars after inital treatment. C6 and T8 discs show "moderate" herniation, but not severe enough to cause all my symptoms. I also have a horrendous case of rotator cuff pain that just will NOT go away.

So here's my related question:

Are there people out there who were told they had disc degernation etc but were able to fully recover after antibiotic treatment?

I have been a competitive distance runner for 30 years, with no real injuries...this disc stuff is just killing me...let alone the other symtoms.

LM

Posts: 212 | From Eastern CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement