LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is it just me...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it just me...
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... or have there been more commercials for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome all of a sudden? It's making me suspicious (as if someone's trying to cover up Lyme somehow).... Or I'm just being overly crazy about things as usual?

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackpowder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackpowder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel the same way about restless leg syndrome. There are commercials for that all the time. Maybe we're just more tuned in now. I know when I got depressed I kept seeing the cymbalta and

the bouncing zoloft guy. Maybe it's the drug du jour they're trying to push. Ya' think??

Posts: 111 | From Pa | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too notice more and more of them, but then again, I think our tv is getting loaded with advertisements about ALL sorts of perscription medications.

Half the time, they don't even tell you what they are really for. Just to ask your doctor if this drug is right for you. Hmmmmm.

I do notice more out there though on things that would be "band aid drugs" for lyme symptoms. So yes, it's very sad indeed.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatpianka
Member # 12244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatpianka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are also a lot more ads for various types of alcohol. I think ads for alcohol and drugs should be outlawed altogether.

There have been more ads for Restless Legs Syndrome lately because Mirapex was recently (in the last 6 months or so) approved by the FDA for the treatment of RLS. In the past, it was only approved for Parkinson's Disease.

Advertising agencies are cashing in on our hypochondriacal side.

Posts: 97 | From Clinton, CT | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou4656
Member # 10300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou4656     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with medicine today, IMHO, is that doctors want to treat the symptom, not the cause of the symptom.

Relief of symptoms helps the patient in the short term, but does nothing to get rid of the cause. And as long as you continue to have symptoms, pharmaceudical companies continue to make money.

At one time, I thought the point of the medical profession was to make people well. I'm not sure that is the case anymore.

AND (now that I am on a roll) [rant] if you, as a patient are not a quick fix, they pass you on to some other "medical professional". The more patients they see, the more money they make . . . so if you are a "complicated" case, you are not worth the effort. Or you have unresolved mental issues that cannot be treated [shake]

Who got me started on this . . . was that you, Disturbed??? [Big Grin]

--------------------
LouLou

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lou4656:
The problem with medicine today, IMHO, is that doctors want to treat the symptom, not the cause of the symptom.

At one time, I thought the point of the medical profession was to make people well. I'm not sure that is the case anymore.

I agree with this 100%. It's so sad.

My mom was having what seemed/felt like arthritis in her hands, very painful, goes to the doctor and the doctor says she has arthritis and gives her medicine for it. The doctor doesn't even do a blood test to make SURE it's arthritis and not something else. She just assumes. Is that what doctors are supposed to do: assume???

I hate ducks. [Frown]

I think we're all angry with docs now truthfully.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while back I was peeking into my crystal ball and guess what I saw?

The big move to dump all of the "unexplained" symptoms, syndromes and diseases into ONE big fat catagory.

AUTOIMMUNE

And the description of "autoimmune" is a disease where your body attacks itself. There is NO known cause and NO known cure.

These duck motels are coming up with new diseases like "Stiff-man Syndrome"... and more such labels because they can't figure out anything.. and don't take time to THINK or research.. or listen! It is frightening.

But.. to their benefit...

By dumping 80 or so diseases together in one lump it makes it appear there is an "immediate" danger to society because one disease alone doesn't raise eyebrows at the government's "hand me the tax payer money" level.

And they can declare there is a HUGE need for money for researching the same things they did all ready by doing them one at a time. This gives them the NUMBERS they need.

And a chance for drug companies to pay these dopes to research and to invent drugs to treat each little thing we have go wrong.

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!

But the fan is already clogged with their dribble.

Example.. and in NO way.. you know me.. am I taking away from the severity or seriousness of people who have been diagnosed with ANY disease or condition... as I know from the heart they are sick and need help... as we do....

But... Maryland has already.. bless some avocates hearts if they were involved.. gotten a Task Force together for Autoimmune Diseases which I am hoping was NOT done soley by the Health Department again... but it sure smells that way... with Hopkins behind it.

It had ONLY about 4 patient advocates (typical Health Dept tactics- stacking the deck) and was jam packed full of Health Department people (my personal favorite group- NOT), University reps (Kings of the "NO-Lyme" theory), Insurance agents (who sit and listen and then tell others what to do behind closed doors), Stastical people, state disability people who DON'T want people sucking the pot dry, and docs/nurses who believe that autoimmune is the answer ... etc.

They concluded they now need...

You got it... MONEY for research, educating, etc... as this is now a crisis.

Interesting to me... The CDC states that for every ONE case of Lyme reported in Maryland.. 7-12 are missed.

A while back I tried to figure out what happened to those 7-12 people.

It turns out if you do the math.... the 7-12 total who were missed that have Lyme is REAL close to the total now diagnosed as being "autoimmune".. meaning no known cause and no known cure.

And it provides for duck and insurance income in their pockets for years to come.

And patient suffering.

It makes me SICK!

Of course this is only MY opinion and based on what my crystal ball told me several years ago.

PIGS!

[Mad]

http://tinyurl.com/2va6o4

Hey tutu.. it worked! Thanks for the tiny little link thing.

[ 12. December 2007, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Tincup ]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about the link. Can someone make it a small link?

If not.. I'll remove it.

It has a list of "autoimmune diseases" that you won't believe.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treating symptoms is exponentially more profitable than curing disease. There are very few diseases that are not pathogen related in my opinion.

Research money and drug developemnt predominantly comes from the Pharmaceutical industry. Which do you think they would spend more time on, treatments or cures?

The incentive is wrong, and the system is not patient driven but profit driven.

Until that part changes we will not see many breakthroughs in health care.

I do not like it but that is the way it is.

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's because there are drugs that have received FDA approval to treat them. It has nothing to do with a Lyme conspiracy, it has to do with money and the pharmaceutical industry.

Lyrica is the first drug approved for treating fibromyalgia pain. So they are advertising it like crazy.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup....Go to www.tinyurl.com ... All you have to do is "carry" the URL of the above link there and put it in the space they provide.

Then copy the new URL and edit it into your post above....THEN we can read this thread!

Thanks much!! [hi]

I HATE that Lyrica ad. I'm sure neurontin would do the same thing, but there's not enough money in it for Big Pharma.

I agree that banning drug ads would help this country! I hate them!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Tutu...

Thanks! It worked!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I checked this thread, there was a Lyrica commercial on right after.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement