LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Occurrence of multiple infections with different Bb genospecies in Danish I. ricinus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Occurrence of multiple infections with different Bb genospecies in Danish I. ricinus
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Occurrence of multiple infections with different Borrelia burgdorferi genospecies in Danish Ixodes ricinus nymphs

Abstract

The pathogen Borrelia burgdorferi causes Lymenext term Borreliosis in human and animals world-wide. In Europe the pathogen is transmitted to the host by the vector Ixodes ricinus. The nymph is the primary instar for transmission to humans.

We here study the infection rate of five Borrelia genospecies: B. burgdorferi sensu stricto, B. afzelii, B. garinii, B. valaisiana, B. lusitaniae in nymphs, by IFA and PCR. 600 nymphs were collected in North Zealand of Denmark.

Each nymph was first analysed by IFA. If positive for spirochaetal infection, the genospecies was determined by PCR.

The infection rate of B. burgdorferi sensu lato was 15.5%, with the primary genospecies being B. afzelii (64.3%), B. garinii (57.1%), and B. lusitaniae (26.8%).

It is the first time B. lusitaniae is documented in Denmark.

Even though, the highest infection rate was discovered for B. afzelii and B. garinii, mixed infections are more common than single infections.

Fifty-one percent (29/56) of these were infected with two genospecies, 7.1% (4/56) with three, and 5.3% (3/56) with four.

We try to explain the high infection rate and the peculiar number of multiple infections, with a discussion of changes host abundance and occurrence of different transmission patterns.

J. Vennestr�ma, Corresponding Author Contact Information, 1, E-mail The Corresponding Author, H. Egholmb and P.M. Jensenb
aSection for Genetics and Microbiology, Department of Ecology, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg, Denmark
bSection for Zoology, Department of Ecology, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg, Denmark
Received 21 July 2006; revised 17 July 2007; accepted 19 July 2007. Available online 1 August 2007.

[ 15. December 2007, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
interesting. I asked my LLMD the B.afzelii
and B.garanii..he said that no one knew, they are never tested for.
It interest me in a couple of ways, the first being that the European strains produce a different pattern of infection, with less arthritis, and more neuroLyme. That might account for some of the presention differences
recognized by ILADS doctors and the IDSA crowd.
The second way is if the euro strains are here, they probably got introduced via Plum Island.
Steere totally neglected the European Lyme literature in early work. maybe purposefully so.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canlyme has an article stating that European strains had been found on ticks from seagulls on one of their Eastern islands.

Clark (some university in southern U.S.) has done dna analysis of sensu stricto, and found that portions of the dna are of afzelli and garinii strains, although it is sensu
stricto overall.

Most interesting is that European countries are adopting IDSA guidelines, despite the studies showing the general difference in symptomology between European and U.S. (northeastern strains).

I doubt if IDSA looked beyond the northeast for anything that may refute or compromise their pre-arranged "Lyme Guidelines for Dummies".

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walnut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not good. This is where I grew up.

I find it so interesting that Europeans are well aware of the multiple strains of Bb, while IDSA doctors continue to insist that only one strain of Bb infects humans in the U.S.

Clearly there are many different strains of Bb and they do infect humans. The only reason why no one test positive for these other strains is that there are no commercial tests for them.

When Lyme disease was first (re)discovered in Lyme, CT it was identified as a arthritis condition, and IDSA continue to insist that neurological symptoms are rare. Nonetheless, I have mostly neurological symptoms, and so do most of the people in the mid-atlantic region I know who have persistent lyme disease. Could it be we have a different strain?

[ 15. December 2007, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Walnut ]

Posts: 187 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walnut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it interesting that "The infection rate of ...and B. lusitaniae (26.8%). It is the first time B. lusitaniae is documented in Denmark."

With an tick infection rate of 26.8%, B. lusitaiae is not exactly rare!

Posts: 187 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement