LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » levaquin herx??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: levaquin herx??
mixedfeelings
Member # 13404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mixedfeelings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband started on Levaquin about 3 weeks ago and the past 1 1/2weeks has been getting worse can not get out of bed, hurts all over, cold but sweating, right side now hurts like left side, vomits and isn't eating.

If this a herx reaction. He was only started on the Levaquin because I told the PCP to start him on it,after doing research,since no one else will do anything to help him. We are still waiting to find out if Medicaid will pay for LLMD in Chicago.

I'm afraid he's dying and I can't help at all. How can we get through this if it is a herx reaction and what if it isn't? Thanks for your input.

Posts: 9 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lalyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lalyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark your post as more urgent in the subject line. You might get some quicker responses. And do WHATEVER you can to get him to an LLMD. ASAP. If I were you , I would not wait for Medicaid. Hang in there. It might be a herx, they seem to come in month cycles. I am not an expert at all. I have Bart and working through it too. [Smile]
Posts: 298 | From los angeles | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Levaquin has very serious side effects for some people. This RX drug site gives you lots of info to help you determine if your husband is suffering from any of them.

Also I've read that people suffering a reaction to Levaquin were helped by taking benadryl. Go with your gut and contact the doctor if you are worried about what's happening to your husband.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/levoflox_wcp.htm#P

(partial excerpt from above site)

Serious and Potentially Serious Adverse Reactions:

Patients should be informed of the following serious adverse reactions that have been associated with LEVAQUIN� or other quinolone use:

Hypersensitivity Reactions: Patients should be informed that LEVAQUIN� can cause hypersensitivity reactions, even following the first dose. Patients should discontinue the drug at the first sign of a skin rash, hives or other skin reactions, a rapid heartbeat, difficulty in swallowing or breathing, any swelling suggesting angioedema (e.g., swelling of the lips, tongue, face, tightness of the throat, hoarseness), or other symptoms of an allergic reaction.

Tendon Disorders: Patients should discontinue LEVAQUIN� treatment and inform their physician if they experience pain, inflammation, or rupture of a tendon, and to rest and refrain from exercise until the diagnosis of tendonitis or tendon rupture has been excluded. The risk of serious tendon disorders is higher in those over 65 years of age, especially those on corticosteroids.

Convulsions: Convulsions have been reported in patients taking quinolones, including LEVAQUIN�. Patients should notify their physician before taking this drug if they have a history of convulsions.

Neurologic Adverse Effects (e.g., dizziness, lightheadedness): Patients should know how they react to LEVAQUIN� before they operate an automobile or machinery or engage in other activities requiring mental alertness and coordination.

Diarrhea: Diarrhea is a common problem caused by antibiotics which usually ends when the antibiotic is discontinued. Sometimes after starting treatment with antibiotics, patients can develop watery and bloody stools (with or without stomach cramps and fever) even as late as two or more months after having taken the last dose of the antibiotic. If this occurs, patients should contact their physician as soon as possible.

Peripheral Neuropathies: If symptoms of peripheral neuropathy including pain, burning, tingling, numbness, and/or weakness develop, patients should discontinue treatment and contact their physician.

Prolongation of the QT Interval: Patients should inform their physician of any personal or family history of QT prolongation or proarrhythmic conditions such as hypokalemia, bradycardia, or recent myocardial ischemia; if they are taking any class IA (quinidine, procainamide), or class III (amiodarone, sotalol) antiarrhythmic agents. Patients should notify their physicians if they have any symptoms of prolongation of the QT interval, including prolonged heart palpitations or a loss of consciousness.

Phototoxicity: Patients should be advised to avoid excessive sunlight or artificial ultraviolet light while receiving LEVAQUIN� and to discontinue therapy if phototoxicity (i.e., skin eruption) occurs.

Other Serious and Sometimes Fatal Reactions:

Other serious and sometimes fatal events, some due to hypersensitivity, and some due to uncertain etiology, have been reported rarely in patients receiving therapy with quinolones, including LEVAQUIN�. These events may be severe and generally occur following the administration of multiple doses. Clinical manifestations may include one or more of the following:

fever, rash, or severe dermatologic reactions (e.g., toxic epidermal necrolysis, Stevens-Johnson Syndrome);

vasculitis; arthralgia; myalgia; serum sickness;
allergic pneumonitis;
interstitial nephritis; acute renal insufficiency or failure;
hepatitis; jaundice; acute hepatic necrosis or failure;
anemia, including hemolytic and aplastic; thrombocytopenia, including thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura; leukopenia; agranulocytosis; pancytopenia; and/or other hematologic abnormalities.

The drug should be discontinued immediately at the first appearance of skin rash, jaundice, or any other sign of hypersensitivity and supportive measures instituted.

Tendon Effects
Ruptures of the shoulder, hand, Achilles tendon, or other tendons that required surgical repair or resulted in prolonged disability have been reported in patients receiving quinolones, including LEVAQUIN�. Postmarketing surveillance reports indicate that this risk is increased in patients receiving concomitant corticosteroids, especially the elderly.

LEVAQUIN� should be discontinued if the patient experiences pain, inflammation, or rupture of a tendon. Patients should rest and refrain from exercise until the diagnosis of tendonitis or tendon rupture has been confidently excluded. Tendon rupture can occur during or after therapy with quinolones, including LEVAQUIN�.

Here's a site with many pages of patient experiences with Levaquin:
http://www.medications.com/se/levaquin

Posts: 590 | From Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mixedfeelings
Member # 13404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mixedfeelings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input, he has been up all night vomiting (I'm not sure what since he has eaten), stools are fine.

There's no way we can go to the LLMD with Medicaid because this has been going on for 3 years and last July I had to quit my job to stay home with him, so we are barely scraping by as it is, we can't afford another big dr. bill.

Trying to stick it out and wait for reply about Medicaid and getting him on disability (waiting for appeal to go before judge). Lawyer says that we might have a hard time because there is no actual diagnosis. [shake] Noone will listen to me about lyme. New dr only gave Levaquin because I asked him but he won't run any of the same tests again and I'm afraid if the 6 weeks doesn't show improvment he won't give it again.

Posts: 9 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was started on 1/2 pill/day to ramp up to full dose.

If it were me, I would consider taking a break for a day or two.

I'm currently on Levaquin and experiencing the whole body pain along with other symptoms.

Did he have GI symptoms prior to the Levaquin?
Bartonella is blamed for GI symptoms, so Herx?
Don't know.
Not medical advice in any form, just another sufferer.
Hope he feels better soon.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you contacted the LLMD in the area and told the office your situation? Some doctors take on charity patients who can't afford to pay. Or the doctor might do an initial consultation and then work with your PCP so it's less expensive.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I herxed for the first six weeks on Levaquin, then started feeling better.

I agree that he needs to see an LLMD .... I'd look into whether one will see you at a lowered rate or if you have family that will either pay for you or loan you the money. He is going to need one to get better.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope he has stopped taking it to see if the vomiting stops. This is a risk you are taking.

Just my opinion.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeflox
Member # 10543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeflox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry for the suffering of your husband. You should be entitled to get inmediate medical advice. In the meantime, I would stop taking levaquin because the description that you have done is identical to proven toxic episodes lived by many others before.

That level of pain, disability and to become bedridden points towards an acute toxicity caused by levaquin, rather than a herxing. There are thousands of similar experiences.

You can find help from others and probably some of them living in your area, at the yahoo quinolone forum. The link is this one:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/quinolones/

If you conclude that your husband is suffering an adverse reaction (levaquin toxicity) you can also learn in detail what to do and what not to do in order to improve the situation of your husband reading the corresponding sections of the non-profit site:

www.fluoroquinolones.org

All sorts of information, and very helpful information to address a levaquin intoxication is avalaible at the non-profit site:

www.fqresearch.org

I hope that your husband gets better soon.

Posts: 94 | From canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement