LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Have any of you used a Neti Pot?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have any of you used a Neti Pot?
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good afternoon all,

For many years now, I have had what I refer to as "allergy attacks" that completely debilitate me when they strike.

Pre-TBDs, I was never allergic to anything...so, I tend to assume that this is just a very odd manifestation of my illnesses, or from my immune system being in poor shape in general.

These attacks have absolutely no pattern what so ever. They just hit, and hit forcefully enough that I have to try and medicate myself as quickly as possible into oblivion usually.

Anyway...I was watching a show the other day that showed the Neti Pot, and spoke to its effectiveness on allergies and sinus issues.

So, I would like to ask if any of you have used the Neti, and if you would share your experiences with us- pro OR con.

Here is a link to describe what it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation

Thanks so much in advance,
Melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure have! It's really good for prevention of problems, but I had to "graduate" to using a bulb syringe to spray a little more forcefully into the sinuses for my sinus infection.

The syringe is really easier to use and more effective.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Miss Toots,

Thanks for your quick reply. I was just reading about your sinus issues- OH MY! Sooo sorry! I do hope that you can find relief from that ongoing misery very soon.

M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cancunmom
Member # 10626

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Cancunmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Melanie,

I have used a neti-pot many times!! It has helped my sinuses greatly. I have my 10 year old use it, because he is prone to sinus infections. I will tell you it takes some getting used to. Start out with just a little bit of salt or it will burn. I have also heard you can use baking soda...never tried that yet. Anyway it really makes sense to flush the sinuses. Hope this helps some.

Merry Christmas!
[hi]

Posts: 33 | From Delaware | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read these thread Missy

BLO

NasalProblem scrol to james

B12 shot

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used the neti pot a few times but it seemed to drive infections into my system. I stopped using it because I felt that it caused more problems for me. Next, I tried a nasal wash recommended by my ENT but it didn't seem to help much however it didn't seem to cause more problems at least.

I do not think allergies are an odd manifestation of lyme disease but a very common side effect. Immune system dysregulation, leaky capillaries and digstive problems can all lead to allergies and are all possible side effects of TBD's.

Seems like something to modulate the immune system could be helpful. Pycnogenol is also used for allergies, cordyceps too. I guess I would try to go for something closer to the root cause then trying to manually remove the allergens or perhaps both would be in order.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Melanie -

I swear by Neti-Pot! I used de-idonized salt plus baking soda in warm water which I put in the pot and snort in between. The results are disgusting, but oh so satisfying!

Went through a bad sinus period several years ago and sought abx (pre-Lyme). My doctor,Dr. G., suggested that Neti 4x a day for about 4-9 days might do as much as abx in the same amount of time. In that case, he was right! (Back in the days when I avoided all abx...)

Whenever I have the slightest inkling of sinus stuff, I use the Neti pot and nip it in the bud!

Best to you,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
listenswithcare
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for listenswithcare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a neti-pot. Usually for when I get sick. For me, it is best to wait until after the initial inflammatory state when my nose is running alot and very clogged. Once that has settled down some, it is great to use the pot as it gets rids of alot of the gunk stuck in my nasal passages (you know - when you try to blow and nothing happens).

Sorry for the details! [Smile]

It is probably different for everyone, but I think it is worth a try. It's not invasive, its cheap and the materials (salt and water) are cheap.

I have tried adding a drop of goldenseal to the water also, but I think it created an allergic response for me. Goldenseal can help with virus and bacteria.

Robin

Posts: 276 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if we would use nasal washes regularly, we would get fewer colds and flu. Just my thinking on it.

I use a mixture of baking soda, neti-pot salt, colloidal silver and Xango.

Get a quart jar and put in 1 tsp of baking soda, 2-3 tsps of "safe" salt, and distilled water.

Then I heat up 2/3 cup of this in the microwave. [49 seconds on my microwave, in a glass measuring cup].

(You could use as little as 1/2 cup if you don't have a sinus infection.)

I then add the filtered Xango [1oz] and 7 drops of silver.

Three times a day. Like I said, I use a bulb syringe and then clean it out with hot water followed by alcohol....same for the cup.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Melanie,
I've been thinking of you.

I watched Dr Oz on Oprah, one day, and they were using Neti pots. I had been curious before but didn't quite get it.

I use it when I am stuffy but probably should daily, just forgot lately.

Anyway, I just use the amount of salt and water, it says, and nothing else. At first I used tablesalt and then got some Neti pot salt (no iodine or anti-caking agents). I liked the iodine though.

It makes your head feel great! Like it's lighter and opener. It's nice! It didn't take long to get the hang of.

I like it!
bluebird

ps. I think I'll try it again right now! [Smile] thanks!

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peacesoul
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I irrigate my sinuses all the time but I use the plastic ball that's for cleaning the ear. I find it works the best. I irrigate with salt and oil of oregano. Cleans me right out....love it!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I SO appreciate all of your replies! Thank you!

I have lost three days already this week to this, and really hope to figure something out soon.

Thanks Cancunmom,
I suppose this is pretty safe if children can use it. I couldn't begin to imagine pouring water INTO my nose at first, thinking that I would choke myself for certain!

Tree-hugger,
Thanks so much for adding those links here. I haven't had time to really read the board as much recently. Goodness, that info from James looks just creepy! It makes me wonder if the parasitic meds I have been on for the last year and a half would have done anything IF that was an issue?

Hi Terry,
I agree...I would LOVE to get to the CAUSE of this! But...I don't know what it is??? Since I am so miserable, symptom control seems like the next best solution for now. I don't think this is an infection, since there isn't any pain associated with it...but who knows at this point. Thanks for your perspective.

Thanks for the added info, Wiserforit.
I have been on so many ABX now; I really don't think that more will help this particular problem. In other words, it seems like IF they were going to help...they would have by now. That is why I was thinking that perhaps just a good washing out of allergens and pollens would help? Thanks.

Hey Listenwithcare,
I was wondering too if it would work when you are already stuffed and sneezy, etc. Or, if it is better used as a preventative measure. Sometimes, I am so stuffed up, I can't even breath through my nose...so, I doubt that water would penetrate! Thanks for your comments.

Wow Miss Toots,
It sounds like you have this down to a fine science. Thanks again.

Hey Bluebird,
I hope you are all settled in by now! Funny, Oprah is where I saw this too. I'm pleased that it is helping you too...and thanks for your input.

Thanks Peacesoul,
I appreciate your comments too.

Once again, thanks so much to each of you! If anyone else wants to chime in, please do. [Smile]

My best,
Melanie

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Peacesoul:
I irrigate my sinuses all the time but I use the plastic ball that's for cleaning the ear. I find it works the best.

That's what I use....a bulb syringe.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

"I irrigate my sinuses all the time but I use the plastic ball that's for cleaning the ear. I find it works the best. "

"That's what I use....a bulb syringe."

Like a turkey baster? [Eek!]

savebabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother uses one and loves it.
Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Melanie Reber:

Like a turkey baster?

Here's a picture

-

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My old Dr hes past away now was a tough old feller he did a nasal irrigation on my friend who kept getting colds and could not stop it gross part coming Dr put a little tube up one nostril and another up the other nostril and began flushing.Well my buddy said all kinds of stuff came out from black to yellow green and he said it smelled offal he said he choked on it a few times and the Dr didnt stop until everything that was coming out became clear.
He also said it stung like crazy.

But I know he didnt even get acold for like 3 years folloowing that tretment I said why dont you go back he said not unless I cant shake getting colds again he said it really stung.

I dont know what old Doc used but friend never had to do it again to this day.
its been somewhere around ? I was in early twenties when this was done and now 49.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Thanks so much Savebabe, Carol and Tree!

That photo reminds me of the little syringes used with babies to clear the nose. I suppose it is the same but larger?

Wow Tree, your friend must have been astonished at the ``outcome'' of this process...I know I would have.

I really appreciate all of your replies...and have ordered a Neti to give it a try. I will report back if it helps. [Smile]

M

Munch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Munch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We bought a Neti pot after seeing it shown on the Oprah show with Dr Oz. It's unbelieveable how much better we can breathe through our noses.

It is amazing when we have colds. Best treatment we've ever tried. Opens up everything.

We like it so much we are sending one to my SIL who has allergies galore. Kooky Christmas gift but if he tries it he will LOVE it.

It's seems creepy at first as in "How do I breathe?" "What if I swallow the water?"

The first few times I got water all over my clothes.

Posts: 192 | From Dwight, IL USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Thanks for your input Munch!

It sounds like everyone has had a great experience...except for Terry. Sorry Terry. BTW, did you find something else that helped you eventually?

daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,
My husband and I both woke up congested for years. I got a product called Xlear. It's a saline solution with xylitol in it.

Xylitol is a germ killer. We started out spraying into each nostril every morning. After awhile, we both woke up clear every morning.

Every once in a while I still use it, but I think it got rid of some chronic infection we both had.

I also have a neti pot, but rarely use it. I don't feel the need.

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sorry Terry. BTW, did you find something else that helped you eventually?
Thanks Melanie,
The thing that has helped my symptoms the most is lyme treatment. Serraflazyme, fibrin busters and abx helped with the nasal swelling and throat swelling off and on.

I've heard that borrelia can hide in the sinuses. My scan showed a thickening in the sinuses but there was no infection via swab culture. I'm sure they did not look for borrelia or bartonella. I think it is possible that either of those bacteria could be causing problems in the nasal cavity/throat.

It could also be allergies. My LLMD tested me and found I was allergic to many foods. I cut out a lot of foods and I use digestive enzymes when eating to help digest foods and hopefully keep the allergic reactions down.

I hope you get some relief.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Hi Daisys,
I looked up Xylitol, and was pretty impressed with the benefits described. This sounds like a good choice of what to try next if the Neti doesn't offer any relief- so THANK you for that!

Hey Terry,
I'm so pleased that you were able to put this behind you with continued treatment and modified diet. Thanks for your added input.

I sure hope the Neti arrives soon! I had another `attack' yesterday and after a few doses of Nyquil...I finally could breathe, but was down for the count!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
That photo reminds me of the little syringes used with babies to clear the nose. I suppose it is the same but larger?

The bulb syringe I have looks like the pic and it's about 3 1/2 to 4 in in length.

I think you would have liked that much better than the neti. It's more effective and easier to use.

But hey...an experience is an experience.

Tree...Get me that dr's phone number!!!! [lol] [lol] It sure beats surgery!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by daisys:
I got a product called Xlear. It's a saline solution with xylitol in it.

That's good stuff too!! Check Vitacost for an awesome price!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:

I looked up Xylitol, and was pretty impressed with the benefits described. This sounds like a good choice of what to try next if the Neti doesn't offer any relief- so THANK you for that!

Suggestion: Do both!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

"Suggestion: Do both!"

Well...I thought about that.

But then thought that if I did both, and it helped...how would I know which one was actually helping?

Sort of the same mentality as starting 2 drugs at once, I guess. Which I have done many times. But I have also had meds really hurt me, and then it took much longer to figure out which ones were the culprits.

I don't know...perhaps I am being overly cautious with this? I think I am just SOOO tired of this ride and am ready to get off now. [Smile]

daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since xylitol is also naturally sweet, without the carb count of sucrose, I've been using it in baking.

I use a little less than the sugar that's called for. It doesn't caramelize, but definitely tastes great in muffins, etc.

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement