LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Muscle Paralysis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Muscle Paralysis
bunnyfluff
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14117

Icon 9 posted      Profile for bunnyfluff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new here, and I'm sure this has had quite a bit of discussion before, but I didn't find the answers I was looking for in the search. So~ I will ask y'all........

I have been on Abx therapy for the last 3 months (Zith). Lately, when I go for my walks, my muscles in my legs, hips, etc., are almost paralyzed for days afterward! I was fairly certain this was from the Lyme toxins....however.... I would like to know what any of you have taken/done to help relieve this symptom!

It's getting to where I am dreading going out for a walk, and yet I so need the exercise. What helps flush this out????? The pain is just overwhelming. [Frown]

Thanks!
Bunny

--------------------
4 strong winds that blow lonely,
7 seas that run high.

All those things that don't change
Come what may.

Posts: 103 | From Dallas/ Fort Worth. TX | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bunny, when you say paralyzed do you mean that you can't feel (numbness) or that you just can't move?

Since the beginning of my infection I've often been unable to move, usually after exertion. There is no numbness involved.

For instance, I suspect that about 5 p.m. this evening my legs will no longer be able to propel me forward and I'll have to go to bed.

For me, my guess is a build-up of lactic acid. I think I heard one time that the spirochetes give off lactic acid as a by-product of their activities (I could be wrong!!).

All I know is, my legs hurt like they used to when I weight-trained and exercised quite a bit, except I haven't done much!

My hips are very weak and won't hold me up and my legs will buckle when I've done too much.

The only way I've ever been able to recover from this is to go to bed and sleep it off.

Some kind of detoxing protocol may help you, but I've not been able to find a good protocol for myself yet regarding this particular symptom.

I hope you can find relief in some way. Take care! - Lymelady

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunnyfluff
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14117

Icon 9 posted      Profile for bunnyfluff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymelady~
Thanks for your reply! It is like you said....painful like I have been weightlifting (haven't done that in years, either!), not tingling......just stiff and it feels like my muscles are paralyzed and cannot move correctly any more. Like they cannot stretch and bend anymore!

I walk stiff-legged for days! i didn't know if pushing when I feel stiff like this would help or make it even worse.....I am afraid to try!

I cannot give up on my walks~ I have already shortened them from a pretty easy 2.5 miles to probably a mile!! Before I was taking Abx the 2.5 miles was nothing.

I am afraid I will wake up like some people I have read about that are suddenly just paralyzed and never walk again. This DD really scares me sometimes. [Eek!]

Thanks for input,
Bunny

--------------------
7 seas that run high.

Come what may.

Posts: 103 | From Dallas/ Fort Worth. TX | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
count me in this "group" too. thanks lymelady for clearifying what happens. I hope it's the latic acid thing too.

I feel like my hips lock and find it nearly impossible to lift leg to move forward or up steps.

A PT therapist said that's spacisity. To "break the lock" I sometimes try and swat down (just few inches" then can move again.
I do take balcofen for spacisity too.
After my rehab...(weights, etc) I am so weak.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Munch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Munch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bunny,

Do you have access to a pool? On days where I can't move I do water aerobics. Warm water eases the sore stiff muscles.

Some high schools and hotels will let people use the pool during off hours for a nominal fee.

I have a total knee replacement so it does provide some sort of work out I can handle especially on dreary days.

Posts: 192 | From Dwight, IL USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunnyfluff
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunnyfluff   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I belong to a Health Club w/pool access. I will try and see if it helps!

Thx,
Bunny

--------------------
7 seas that run high.

Come what may.

Virginia of Yore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virginia of Yore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found (even before lyme) that if I do anything that is more than my normal exertion that might make me sore (lots of yardwork, gardening, etc.), if I soak for 15-20 min. in my hot tub (spa)it helps prevent soreness.

I was told it helps boost your circulation to remove the lactic acid, consequently minimizing soreness. If you can get access to one, give that a try. You must do it the same day of the exertion, but waiting till evening still works fine for me.

Don't do it right before bed, as it can make some people too alert to sleep easily, and some of us lymies already have enough trouble getting to sleep!

Posts: 193 | From Virginia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bunnyfluff,

I would talk to your doc and also to a pharmacist to see if this is a symptom of zith. Surely there are other ABX and herbs you can take if you do a trial of no zith.

I just started 1/4 tablet of zith tonight in addition to the doxy, so I'm interested in your response to this med. I can walk 7 blocks and maybe on a good day if I pushed it, a mile. 2.5 miles is remarkable.

That's just my opinion, but the other posters gave good suggestions, too.

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troup Brazelton
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troup Brazelton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask you doctor to check you for excess fibrin in your blood. Hypocoagulation may be causing the soreness and stiffness in your muscles due to lack of oxgyn reaching the cells in your legs.

If so the remedy is a blood thinner that also helps the abx reach the disease.

Posts: 219 | From Aubur,Al. USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement