LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Herx--Stop Antibiotics?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herx--Stop Antibiotics?
bandit100
Member # 11941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandit100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious whether you keep right on taking ABX when herxing or do you stop until you feel better and then start back up.

My doctor recommends that you stop when starting to herx. He has had many patients get much worse and have a hard time getting back to base line.

I am on 400mmg of Doxycycline right now and have been for 4 weeks. Muscular pain in neck and shoulder has been progressively getting worse along with the nerve pain above right elbow. You know all the fun stuff, ha ha.

Thanks. Roger

Posts: 25 | From Missouri | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arc35476
Member # 12786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arc35476     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc told me to stop when the herxing starts, take benadryl for a few days until you feel better and start again. I have stopped and started abx 3 x now. I am assured this is normal. . . . . . . . .and that I need to stick with it.

Take care
A

Posts: 26 | From Tuscaloosa, AL | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on Orals I back off let it clear and then restart at lower dosages and build again - My LLMD also said many patients who continue through herx's never get back to baseline.

On IV I continued as I never herx on IV - I assume its as it was given with 200ml saline twice daily so you have a great detox with the IV.

Personally I would back off if LLMD says so and detox hard - try and have Glutathione infusions, loads of epsom salt baths and activated charcoal until your herx stops.

Of course get advise from LLMD before doing anything.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD has me take meds through my herxes. I do a LOT to detox though! Epsom salt baths, coffee enemas (HUGE help), lots of water, lemon water, chlorella, undenatured whey protein (twice daily), supplements, etc.

I think it's important to follow LLMD instructions .... we learn a lot online, but ultimately, we have to trust our LLMD's.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit100
Member # 11941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandit100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies. I am definitely going to listen to my LLMD, but was curious what other doctor's were telling their patients.

Curiosity was for my wife as well.

Posts: 25 | From Missouri | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bandit,

I personally have never stopped and started due to a herx. I was never told by any of my llmd's to stop if I get a herx.

I have read on this website where the herx was so bad that people had to stop for awhile.

I don't understand why Fin would say that the llmd does'nt base his protocol with meds and

herxes on anything "medical or experience"...HUH!?

Well, just what, pray tell, would he base it on besides past experiences.

You probably got confused in your sentence structure or wording or something.

I can see where "nothing medical" would apply because this is a new and inefficiently researched area of medicine....

so there would be no, QUOTE "medical", UNQUOTE, reason to stop or continue thru the herx.

I have never heard of persons not returning to baseline either. As a matter of fact I would'nt want to return to baseline.

Although I have relapsed many times in the past.

I would expect to be better than baseline if I experienced a particularly strong herx reaction.

You should do as you wish, however, I believe that if you can handle the herx then plow on thru.

It's my opinion that if you are experiencing a strong herx then your spirochetal load is high.

Therefore your killoff ratio, with whatever abx you're using at the time of any particular rough

herx, is doing what we want it to do, killing lots of bugs.

If the dose is backed off of, then this, again in my opinion, would give the targeted

bacteria/virus/parasite/fungus, ample time to build defenses against whatever abx you're

using, crawl into a cystic form or whatever it pleases, or has built into it's survival mechanisms.

Then when the offspring of the spirochetes, or what have you, that you gave time to go into

cyst form, or whatever, would come out the next time immune to the abx you used and a smaller

dose, would also give the spirochete or whatever, a chance to defeat the meds...in it's

own, multiple-defensive ways against a weakened less efficatious medication.

If you can handle the exacerbation of the symptoms....press on!

Of course, if you feel you cannot handle any type of approach at dealing with these diseases, by all means, stop everything.

Listen to your llmd.

But also try to bare in mind what I have listed above. I think I got where I am by plunging forward thru the really bad herxes.

I'm quoting someone else by stating....the only way of defeating these diseases is "to go thru".

At least at the present time, given the lack of knowledge about these diseases.

Having said all of that.....
I have also given myself a break with this

latest medication regimen of trying to get at the Babesia strain or strains that I feel I am also infected with.

The medication of Mepron and Ketek and Artimisinin is a real belly buster for me and

quite possibly my parasitic load may be high, exacerbating my gastritis and wear and tear on

my other organs/and or nervous systems it may have wormed it's way into, and would be annoying anyway, without provocation.

Good Luck and hang in there if you and your loved ones can muddle thru.

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement