LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pacing Ourselves

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pacing Ourselves
canbravelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find with every new taste of freedom, comes the temptation to push too hard.

What do you do to not let the racehorse sneek out onto the track?

It seems I have to have a seizure-type event to remind me to slow down. I'd been feeling better than I have in years, so I was looking through fonts until midnight for a *new business card* with the goal in my mind of being able to work again: Happy Racehorse!

Then 4AM: wake up; throw up.

THEN, I remind myself I need to cool it.

It's difficult, of course, because the horse has been stuck in the barn (housebouind) for a full year (after 3 previous years of significant disability) and she's craving good, brisk walks.

Yes, I'm pretty good at pacing myself, but there's always the instinct to do more, and eventually, I start edging toward my limit.

Of course, part of the issue is the boundary keeps changing, which is positive: I'm getting well!

I'm looking for tips on how you manage your recovery; I know there are more than a few racehorses on this board. [group hug]

xxooxxooxx Holidays xxooxxooxx

[ 27. December 2007, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: canbravelyme ]

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally don't bother holding back...

I give her, her head!

Then I worry about it later....I'm gonna feel bad most of the time anyway....sooooooo

I get done what I can and or have fun whenever I can....

To heck with letting these little bugs determine how I'm going to lead my life!

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
char
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I am glad to hear that you are feeling well enough
to get out there.

I recently read somewhere that "you need to stop
when you have used up 75% of your energy rather
than using it all."

I am trying to do this and it is helping me to get
a lot done without the next-day crashes.

After being in continuous pain and having extreme
fatigue it has been an adjustment for me to notice
that I am getting tired. If that makes sense.

I talk to my kids about don't get too tired, too
hungry, or too angry. Simple but helps.

Best Wishes,

Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like zman says, I go for it when I can.

My husband doesn't like it because he wants me to ALWAYS rest, but then I'd never get to LIVE!!

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your replies.

I can best relate to Char: where you were at, and where you are "at" now are pretty much the same for me.

I'm going to keep in mind the 75% ideal. When I try to pace myself re: chunks of time, it doesn't take into consideration my daily capacity.

I should mention that I relate to zman as well as lymelady, insofar as that was where I was "at" when no amount of pacing myself would work. Just getting out of bed put me at risk for a seizure-type event, so I might as well have done anything else, because yes, it was too much like jail otherwise.

I have a touch of freedom now, thanks to treatment and symptom management (medication). Now I have the opportunity to not live in constant pain, and the repercussions of exhaustion the next day.

I'll let you know how 75% goes. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Best wishes,

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justwondering
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justwondering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with most everyone else!

When your feeling good, you have to live it to the fullest.

Those moments of "normalcy" always seem too good to be true and my mind starts racing about everything I can accomplish and I do the things I wish I could do every day.

Then I hurt and feel worse for a few days afterward.

I like to think one of these days that won't happen!

So take it easy when you need to and be active when you can.

Just part of the roller coast ride of Lyme, I guess.

[Smile] Jackie

Posts: 209 | From maryland | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is tricky. I usually am set back for days if I over do it.

Don't like being set back. Prefer to do a little each day if possible.

Yes the boundaries do keep changing on this.

It sounds like you are keeping your health up front.

Don't know if the others get the seizures so it just might be Ok for them to just go for it.

I recently noticed I have not had to use the shower chair for some time to take a shower.

On the other hand, I also think I am only taking a shower once a week.

So, wondering if I got back in the habit of using the shower chair would I be able to shower more frequently?

Trial and error I guess.

Same with trying to hike on the trail. Learned I needed to keep it at 10 or 15 minutes if I wanted to do it daily.

Had times when I was doing much better and could go further and twice a day.

But, then it has been months since I have had one of those days.

So, trying to pace myself there so I can do a daily outing.

Before I was dx, I met a lady dx with cfs or fibro can't recall which.

She had the same symptoms I had.

She said it is as if you have a pail of water to work with each day. The only problem is you do not know how much water is in the pail.

And you do not want to empty the pail of water each day.

You need to finish the day with some water still in it or you will be without water (energy) for several days.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement