LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » PICC line placement/infusion ordeal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PICC line placement/infusion ordeal
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For my hubby's bday I had a picc line placed to day. What a day. It was placed in the hospital radiology dept by intevential radiologists.

When he was placing the line it felt like a big 10 ton boulder feel on my arm and I stated it hurt. Then I herd the radiologists say "oh did you see how fast the hematoma formed". What. Henatoma. He was in the wrong place in my arm. How can you be in the wrong place when being guided by ultrasound and xray. Whatever.

So now I'm sure my arm has a nice big bruise to go along with the sutures.

And then they secure the picc in place using sutures. I was prepared for a statlock. I thought that sutures were barberic. I guess not. I said I wanted statlock but they had already thrown it in the trash.

Are statlocks better then sutures? I guess everyone around here uses sutures. I don't like the idea of sutures. WHat has been your experience?

Of course radiologists states "not any lyme around here". I just wanted him to hurry and concentrate on what he was doing. THe tech knew quite a bit about lyme, he is a big hunter.

So then I was supposed to get my first Rocephin infusion in the hospital in a monitored setting because home health agency won't do first infusion at home. But hospital refused cuz my local family doc does not have hospital priviliges at the hospital.

SO it was a mad scramble with home care solutions to call the other hospital and get the infusion of Rocephin order transferred to the hospital where local family doc has priviliges. Well, the order was faxed and arranged for at a different location.

Eventually, I received my first infusion and all went okay with that.

Did I say that my arm is killing me. I think it has to do wtih radiologist jamming the wire lead into the wrong space cuz it really hurt.

The home health agency is coming tom do infusion training and change the dressing. I received my box of supplies and meds today. Just all overwhelming.

So what does everyone think about sutures vs statlock? I guess I can get it changed out to a statlock. I think all of the nurses around here are used to sutures said so tech.

It is okay to do blood draws out of picc line? I have heard yes and no.

When does the soreness leave my arm?

SO MANY BARRIERS TO THIS DISEASE.

Everywhere you turn with this disease it is another buch of b.s to deal with. No body understands but you guys.

Thanks for listening and giving feedback.

Doom

Posts: 188 | From ID | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Statlocks are much better than sutures. My nurse even cut out the sutures and placed my line in a statlock during the first visit.

Make sure you call your infustion company and request the statlock.

The more you are your own advocate, the better care you get.

Good luck.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessicas Ticked
Member # 14185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessicas Ticked   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes, Sorry you had such an ordeal.

I'm on my 5th or 6th PICC line now, and each time has been a different expierience [Roll Eyes]

The first two PICC lines were done at a large teaching hospital--and they used Sutures...it hurt more, my old LLMD ended up ripping the sutures out (on accident--I told him the line was hurting and he ripped the Tegaderm off w/ force- ouch.)

Once I started using the Statlocks, it's been easier...AND the lines have lasted longer. The PICC line I have in my arm right now is going on 8 months, since I recieve TPN and all kinds of IV meds...I REALLY need it to hold up (I'm too scared to get a Port [Smile]

Hope your arm feels better, the pain (for me) usually only lasts 3-5 days Max.

--------------------
"The greatest revenge is to accomplish what others say you cannot"

Posts: 3 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have sutures AND a statlock...but they did it because I'm 17 and think I'm "active". Haha...that's a joke.

The nurses are really impressed that I have both because it will really stay in place.

As far as blood, I don't know what brand you have...but if it's a groshong (or something like that) then no! But I have arrow brand and it's okay, but unless you go to a dr's office to have labs drawn, you have to have it flushed after the blood draw to prevent clotting.

The nurse told me most lab techs won't have a clue how to draw blood from a PICC and DON'T let them, unless they are aware of having to flush it afterwards.

I hate to say this, but my arm and chest area hurt like a mother for about 7-8 days. It was pretty awful!!!! I took tylenol (they said that was all I could take because advil, etc. will thin your blood which is dangerous after just having a picc put in.)

Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Savebabe, Jessica, and knshore,

I appreciate the info. I wanted the statlock based upon all of the research I had done but they had already thrown it away???

Maybe I can be like you knshore and have both a statlock and sutures. These medical people don't understand lyme disease and the fact that I will have this line in more than 28 days. [bonk]

Also after the infusion the RN stated that heprin was not necessary because the blue thing on the line keeps it from clotting??? [confused]

I hope htat the home health rn knows what they are doing. I have such little faith in medical personnel these days and question everything they do. I think we have to. I would feel more comfortable using the heprin anyways.

Yeah the arm hurts like a mother.

Posts: 188 | From ID | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doomer,
WHO told you you don't need heparin? [dizzy] AHHH!! From everything I have heard, that's WRONG!!! We flush mine every day with 10 cc's of saline and 3 cc's of heparin, in each lumen (I have a double lumen catheter).

Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just came off 8 months of IV Rocephin. I infused four days on/three days off. Even on the days off I flushed with a 5cc syringe of Heparin 2x a day.

I also took a baby aspirin, and NO BLOOD DRAWS were allowed by order of my LLMD, although home infusion nurse said it would be fine. We followed doctor's orders.

My picc was inserted in hospital in interventional radiology similiar to you. But a doctor inserted mine, and the only pain I felt was the initial shots to numb the area.

My arm did bruise, but cleared up in a matter of days. I also had sutures. I don't know what a statlock is.

The most discomfort I had was an allergic reaction to the Tegaderm dressing put on in the hospital. Once we changed to Primaporre it was fine.

My first infusion was done at home with the nurse watching for any symtoms of reaction to the rocephin. no problems.

Good luck to you,
Carol

[ 28. December 2007, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Cobweb ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Cobby - Thanks for the info. I read your report from the Iv line thread and love the humor you have. Did your sutures stay in place the entire 5 months?

knshore - yes we are doing heparin. THe RN doesn't know how to put the statlock on but said he could figure it out.

UPDATE: The home health RN just left. I was expecting him to come in the afternoon but he called at 9am and asked if he could come now. I said okay.

Of course the house is a mess and somehow I don't care. Christmas stuff everywhere, kitchen messy, had to clear an area to do paperwork. He is a very nice guy and been doing home health for 12 years and I am his first LD patient.

We changed the dressing and there was not much blood or bruising yet. Based upon the pain that hte radiologist caused by probing around in the wrong area, I was surprised there was not more bruising but it just hasn't appeared yet.

I was sure he followed sterile technique and he did without prompting. I told him I was freeked out about it being sterile and being careful. We then figured out the Rocephin bag. It is wierd and something he had never seen or used. The medication is powder in the bottom part of the infusion bag and you have to gently and firmly push the saline into the powder and then they mix together. It was weird. He was used to using the infusion balls that are premixed.

He followed the SASH proceedure. Saline, abx, saline, herparin. So yes to the herparin. He made me feel pretty comfortable with the process.

My arm still hurts pretty bad. It felt like a knife was stuck in it. Sleeping last night was difficult. I finally took a flexiril and was able to sleep. It really makes me mad that the radiologists was poeking around in my arm in the wrong spot and made it hurt unnessasarily. He didn't even say sorry.

No blood draw from the line and I am very comfortable with that. Just another poke which I can handle. DOn't want to muck up the picc in any way.

So I will be seeing him once a week to do the dressing change and hope that the rocephin gets me back to funcitonable status soon.

I am doing 2gms/daily. I will ask my LLMD about increasing the dose to 4gms and doing pulse doses.

I hope that the arm soreness goes away soon and there is no damage.

I have had no reaction to the tagaderm dressing, thankfully.

Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll be a pro in no time.

Yes, my sutures stayed in the whole time.

I infused 2gms 2x daily- morning and evening.

I also took actigal to prevent gallstones.

Sorry your arm still hurts so much. [Frown]

I think Cavey should become a home health infusion nurse! [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was achey the first few days just because my body wasn't used to the line- then it was old hat!! I agree with heparin- the more flushing the better- it is easy!!! I had a statlock-
not sutures- I was allergic to the adhesive tape and had to use special bandages that wouldn't irritate my skin-

you can get stuff cheaper often at your local pharmacy than through infusion companies- those companies mark stuff up a lot!!!

give it a few days!*)!*)!
Best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

The arm is feeling a little better today, but I have not been up and around much yet.

Cavey- the scarey thing is that it was placed in a large hospital where they place 8-10 picc lines a day. So carelessness on the part of intervential radiologists - don't know.

Cobby- good to know that you had sutures that stayed on for 5 months.

Today will be the first infusion without supervision, ought to be interesting. I'm sure in no time it will be old hat as cobby says. It is just a little freaky deaky at first.

Thanks for all your support. [Wink]

beckyM
Member # 13944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beckyM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry you had to go through all of this...I hope the rest is more smooth sailing for you!!

I might be able to shed a little light on why they had you do the first dose in the hospital...

I am a home health RN...

Cave, you might have had an IV infusion company doing yours as opposed to a Home health agency...there is a difference.

IV infusion companies are allowed to do the first dose, they are prepared if there is a reaction to the first dose.

Most (and I say most, cause not all are the same) home health visiting nurse agencies have policies against first dosing.

They are not as prepared if there is a reaction (and usually this happens with the first dose)

So, this COULD be the difference....

IV home infusion nurse versus regular Home health Visiting Nurses...

Becky [Smile]

Posts: 68 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first infusion was at home. Epi-pen & Benadryl were present before-hand and my two midlines were placed at my kitchen table. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daughter's line was inserted in a DR's office by an Option Care Nurse. They were wonderful. She did the first infusion there also.

An x-ray was also done to make sure it was placed correctly, no stitches. Daughter was doing Hyperbaric treatments at the time. The Dr. was affiliated with the Hyperbaric Center.

It went smooth and everything was taken care of. They must have known exactly what they were ordering and how to do it.

Even on the weekend when she didn't have infusions we did saline and then heparin. Always!! We were told to do it so we did. She had no problems ever with her PICC line.

We were told NOT to have blood drawn from the PICC line.

Hugs and good luck,

--------------------
ICEY

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beckyM
Member # 13944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beckyM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cave,

That sounds like it...Apria is an infusion company.

They handle JUST IV therapy.

Where as a regualr visiting nurse (which is what I am) does EVERYTHING.

We handle wounds, IV's, diabetic teaching, CHF, Oral medication monitoring...you name it.

Basically, regualr visiting nurses are jack of all trades.

Home infusion nurses jsut handle home infusions and anything that stems around that.

They have standing orders for benadryl and epi pens for reactions and they carry them incase they need to use them.

Regualr visiting nurses do not.

So, the bottom line is it depends on who is ordered to help with your IV's.

It may also depend on what agency is in your area.

Some Infusion companies may not have nurses in your area but regualr visiting nurses may have agencies that are able to do it.

May also depend on what your insurance covers.

This does not mean that a regular Visiting nurse is not as qualified to deal with you infusions either.

There are good and bad nurses on both sides!

Becky [Smile]

Posts: 68 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had stitches when my PICC was placed. The infusion nurse placed the stat-lock which kept it from pulling on the stitches.

I was actually glad to have the stitches because the midlines used to slide in & out a little, when the nurses changed the stat-locks. It made it harder to heal around the insertion site. The stitches eliminated that problem.

They also came in handy when I developed an allergy to the stat-lock adhesive & had to go without one. [Big Grin]

Though they did annoy me, I do think it was probably best that I had them put in in the hospital with the PICC rather than having my infusion nurse do it later at home. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Did the first infusion yesterday and had to call the home health rn on call because the hub inside the needleless injection cap was not out like it was before. She came by and said no problem and everything is going smoothly with the infusions.

beckym - thanks for the info. I don't have an infusion company but a homehealth agency who tends to my needs ie, dressing changes.

It was all set up thru home care solutions. They do all the precertification, preauthorization, insurance benefits verification to see what is covered and then they set up the local home health services as well. They also set up the picc placement and first infusion at the hospital becasue home health would not do the first infusion at home. It went pretty smoothly. They also made contact with local primary doc who had to sign off on the picc placement order.

Alig - sorry to hear that you had to have your line pulled. Will you be getting it replaced?

I will deal with the sutures for now. Perhaps we will put a statlock on as well, if the home health rn can figure out how to put it on. The arm is feeling fine, it is just different dealing with a tube in my arm 24/7.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement