LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Steaming Mad, Where's the Alligator Pit?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Steaming Mad, Where's the Alligator Pit?
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We met with the general surgeon today who is supposed to insert the portacath for IV rocephin. Everything authorized by insurance, primary doctor referred us, everybody happy. Then we met the surgeon. What an absolute jerk!!! Luckily, I've had lots of experience with abrasive surgeons just like him.

Wanted to know: how Lyme was diagnosed, credentials of Lyme doctor, and on and on. It felt like we were on trial. I just kept my cool and told him we had a positive WB, Lyme doctor was qualified, we had our primary's support, pulmonologist was aware of what's going on.

He finally calmed down, said he'd need to talk to primary, etc. to ascertain the facts. We're not hiring him to investigate facts, he's just supposed to put the device in!

Sent an e-mail to our primary detailing what happened. Hope he can "satisfy" all the questions this jerk has. If not, we'll have to hop through more hoops and find someone else. Hope he won't scare off our primary.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a schmuck!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how these doctor get to be doctors. They should be graded on empathy, talent for healing as much as g.p.a.
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where do they find these drs? [cussing]

i applaud you for keeping your cool, giving short answers, and emailing your llmd.

best wishes! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I brought up the Alligator Pit in General Support. I'm at my brother's computer and couldnt' figure out how to copy the link to here.

[confused]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here it is on behalf of my friend Lymetoo

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=013882

Feed the gators!

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toss him IN!!!!

It is their not-so-subtle way of letting you know in general what they think of lyme disease.

Man, it would have been REALLY hard to keep from biting off a nasty comment like, "I'm not paying you for your misguided opinions on lyme disease, I'm paying you to insert a catheter. Could you do that, please?"

You are very stoic - congratulations on keeping your cool!!!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pineapple
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pineapple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for your recent DUCK experience. They seem to be multiplying by the second. Must be duck mating season?? Sounds like you handled the situation well and were prepared.

Keep being strong!

Posts: 339 | From nowhere | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Every time I start to calm down, different pieces of the conversation come back. There were so many wonderful moments. The creme de la creme: Do you have an infectious disease doctor? Oh, the irony!
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This guy is a total jerk. Can't you just get a new surgeon? I wouldn't waste my time with him and surely wouldn't want him doing this procedure after this anyway.

I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

I'm thinking about getting someone else. Thing is we waited three weeks to get in to see this guy. Of course, if he jerks us around and then ends up not doing it, we'll still end up at square one.
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about going with a picc line. A picc line is less invasive and does not require a pompass surgeon to put it in. Like I said before this disease has more barriers and roadblocks than a construction site.

Good luck.

Posts: 188 | From ID | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Maybe a PICC in the chest but not in the arm. Husband's veins are bad from all the lovely prednisone he was prescribed when he first became sick.
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MomfromTexas said it all.

Get rid of the guy NOW! ASAP

I KNOW it is hard to work around these idiots and what is involved in getting new appointments. BUT...

Anytime you hear junk like that from ANY doctor.. don't answer their questions.. get up and walk out. And I would refuse to pay. <<< MY opinion there.. do as you see best.

These toads are BAD NEWS! They aren't asking that stuff to simply have a "conversation" with you.. these idiots actually try to use the info to hurt your doctors and try to pressure them into walking away from Lyme treatment.

We have a big problem with that here too. Doctors are being threatened if they try to treat more than IDSA recommended... and have LOTS of pressure on them.

Even idiot pharmacists are refusing to refill prescriptions unless an ID duck is ordering it. Complaints need to be filed in these cases.

They are hitting all of us.. LLMD's and patients from all sides.

Fight back!!!

Again.. that is MY opinion... but I KNOW they go after our doctors because it is hard to go after us. Try NOT to give them ammo.

My favorite line when asked names or info I don't want to share is.. hmmmmm.. I don't remember... but I can call you with the info once I get home cause I know I have it written down there.

But.. shame on me.. with this memory thing.. I often forget to call back.

Darn that Lyme.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

UPDATE: We have an appointment with a new surgeon on the 17th. So keep us in your thoughts.

Also, husband had an EMG this week showing myositis. The rheumies have been playing the name the disease game for over two years now: mixed connective tissue, dermatomyositis, etc. With the positive myositis result, we're going to ask the rheumie for IVIG. Appointment with him is on the 16th.

So, hopefully we can get the port put in for IV Rocephin and we can get the IVIG and start turning things around here.

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was WAY, WAY overstepping his bounds. Do you think he gets away with questioning other patients about their reasons for a catheter? Not his job.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

No, I think if we had gone in there for tuberculosis, bone infection, he never would have questioned us.

Hopefully, the new surgeon won't have this guy's prejudices and we can get this thing put in. The anxiety about the whole process is getting to me and we need to put it behind us.

Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree about how bad this situation sounds, but at the same time this means something.

There is controversy. They have heard about "special"doctors treating lyme, and how "tricky"or ambiguous is a Lyme diagnosis.... IMO this means something in California, not even NEportion of USA.

What about having 3, 4 or 6 other patients in with the same diagnosis asking him for his services?

Is he going to ask the same info all over again to each of them AGAIN?

Are we patients conspirating..I don't think so, specially these days when insurances, FDA, etc have a very bad reputation hurting patients/consumers.

I bet you if this same surgeon smells Lyme in his family, guess where he might land..... if certain drs are famous for treating "x" specialty is for a reason...if "Lyme doctors" exist is for a reason also.

I insist there is always a positive aspect in ALL this mess.... THEY KNOW something is wrong.

Ah BTW, ALL these doctors that belong to the medical comunity en general and that some how have to participate taking care of patients diagnosed with lyme for procedures ARE THE FIRST ONES in line for the brain wash.

Is true they can't go against patients, instead they want to use them to go after our LLMDs.

What about we patients SUING them at first for whatever emotional damage the law provides for us.... the result after some cases would be that doctors aware of this controversy would rather step away without misusing the patient"s LLMd's info.

You should call a LAWYER IMO and scare the guy at once!!

Think about it.

If we don't fight we are LOST.

Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry forgot to add something;

Look at this case

My cousin's husband is a Neurologist used to practice in NY.

At a family reunion I mentioned him several facts about lyme, not personal stories, just some studies , controversy, etc..off course he dismissed me as a "crazy cousin"....

Lets assume, since he is a neuro in NY

One day at his office another patient diagnosed with lyme gives him some hints about the controversy and how hard to get diagnosis, treatment, etc.

And off course the guy reads some news over the internet or some medical journal ( I know most is misguiding) but learns about AG and the IDSA about Lyme guidelines and other stuff.

I know, I know it would be a miracle if gets the main point, but I bet you, that at least, he might start smelling something fishy.

We are not going away, we are growing exponentially, the information travels faster than ever...sooner or later *IF* we take actions things are going to change.And definitely, you don't have to have a PhD to add 2+2 specially when talking about our own health.

This is not about their money only......is about "harming" OUR BODIES...that is a crime.

Remember asbestos and tobacco, they knew from the beginning how bad it was, took years and several protests.

Right now is for Vynil PVC...in ITALY, the goverment is not prosecuting the companies, instead all the executive individuals involved in this mess, with manslaughter and other charges...they might get minimum 101 year in prison.

Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Lymeblue,

I'm not a very litigious person and have to save my energy for getting my husband better. I'd rather put my energy into creating awareness and getting better treatments. However, I do admit to having fantasies of my husband getting better and sending a photo of him to the surgeon with a note saying "thanks for nothing."

As far as the surgeon not wanting to do the surgery, I think he doesn't want Lyme attached to his name. He has some sort of complaint filed against him at the medical board and he doesn't want anything to mess with his license.

At the end of our consultation, he did say he was sorry that my husband is so ill. Unfortunately, there's no denying by looking at my husband that is he is seriously ill.

map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parisa, I just looked in the alligator pit and it's full. Someone with muscles need to flush before you can insert another doctor. Maybe you would like the honor of flushing the full pit?

I told my PCP/Internists this morning if another doc tells me any time soon that if I had an auto-immune illness when they are talking with me, I'm going to strangle the ______.

Two docs, one eye doc and other one is gastro/friend doc. I told both of them chronic lyme is an auto-immune disorder. *$%#@!!!!That's why I have the problems that I do and why I need you to help me.

Somethings my PCP/Internists can't do. Eyes and my GI issues. *&%@#!!!!!

Parisa, josh I was lucky that my healthcare provider sent a nurse to my home and inserted my picc line (? I can't remember what my line was called for sure), found a great vein and ran the tubing all the way up my arm, in the vein and into my chest area.

She told me it's more sanitary to do this in someone's home (usually) than in hospital due to the many bacteria and virus that in hospital surround.

My line held up great for the 6 weeks. In fact the nurse that came to take it out told me it was still fully useable and the vein was holding up great.

I know sometimes people with certain risk factors have to be done in hospital due to possiblity of emergency situations arising.

I thought I was going to pass out when I made the mistake at watching her at one point. I can't even watch people on TV get a shot or hospital cutting someone open.

Parisa, sorry you've been put in the stress of it all. Flush and start refilling the pit.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

What, now I have to flush alligator pits? I'm sure it's a very toxic job filled with ignorance, venom and greed and I don't have my HazMat certification.

As far as the PICC, my husband's veins aren't great due to taking prednisone for his "autoimmune" disease and he also has some vasculitis so those are some of the reasons for going the port route.

I'm playing both sides of the fence now as far as autoimmune. If agreeing that my husband has dermatomyositis will get him IVIG, then sure we can call his disease autoimmune. Meanwhile, we'll do the Rocephin too to get at the CAUSE of the dermatomyositis.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement