LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » eye problems - blinking, rolling

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: eye problems - blinking, rolling
lymeladyinNY
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10235

Icon 9 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone here experience something like my latest problem?

Two nights ago my left arm started to shake, my forehead got itchy, and then my eyes rolled back in my head.

Next thing I know, my eyes are whacking out on me. They're rolling around, moving back and forth rapidly, and my eyelids are blinking really fast.

My husband gave me three valiums and this didn't help. I thought I'd sleep it off but the next morning the problem continued and worsened.

I called my LLMD and she said my brain stem is infected and it's affecting my eyes. She recommended phenobarbital but couldn't prescribe it.

My husband took me to my family doctor's and they took one look at me and agreed I needed anti-seizure meds.

So, now I'm on 100 mg phenobarbital at night before bed.

I took it for the first time last night and woke up this morning feeling like the walking dead. But, my eyes only rolled around for about 5 minutes today.

The only thing is, I'm very tired from this new drug. And I feel like my eyes want to roll around but they're being "controlled" - you know what I mean? Like the pheno is just masking a major problem.

My brain is so fried from this disease. I feel like h-*-l-l.

- Julie

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter's llmd said a similar thing about her...that she has involvement of her brainstem, leading to cranial nerve symptoms and other diffuse neurological symptoms.

Here's some of her neurological problems:

Her eyebrows are at different heights,
one eyelid droops lower than the other,
her eyelids have some sort of weird flickering spasms which make it look like she's squinting or trying to wink,
her eyeballs try to roll up in her head,
her mouth draws together and her tongue pulls to the side,
sometimes she has trouble swallowing and chokes on her saliva

Almost every day she has some sort of seizure like episode induced by sudden movement...her arms do weird things, pulling up, while her hands take on an odd pose, her head & neck pull to one side, her eyes rollup and out to one side, her mouth draws together & her tongue gets in the way of normal speech. She's awake when this happens, and she cannot speak normally. These things last about 10 - 15 seconds.

She's supposed to go to Columbia for a neurological evaluation...hopefully we'll find out something.

No one has prescribed anything except anti-seizure medicine. The first was carbamazine (tegretol), then lyrica & lamicatal for it's pain relief and anti-spasm activity.

Have you had a MRI or a spect scan of your brain?

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi hshbmom, no, I've never had a spect scan but I have had MRIs which showed nothing wrong.

I'm now on phenobarbital as needed. When my eyes start to roll around I'm to take the anti-seizure med. It has a long half-life so I don't have to take it every day.

Your daughter's symptoms are very much like mine. My head twists to one side, my tongue sticks out, my eyes roll back, my arms and hands take on odd postures, etc.

My LLMD put me on ceftin when she put me on phenobarbital. I am now dealing with a horrendous headache.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone with my set of symptoms!

- Julie

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, my daughter's LLMD thinks she has sub-cortical seizures due to Lyme borreliosis complex. She has clinical diagnoses of Lyme & bartonella.

He said the scans come out normal because they don't measure the sub-cortical region of the brain. I think he was referring to the EEG when he made this statement.

I've heard her seizure's called non-epileptiform seizures and also a movement disorder.

Her primary limiting symptoms is pain, whole body pain that hasn't responded to medicine she has tried. It's in her muscles, joints, bones, literally everywhere except in her head.

The referral to Columbia has fallen through; they don't evaluate pediatric neuro-Lyme patients.

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hshbmom:

Her primary limiting symptoms is pain, whole body pain that hasn't responded to medicine she has tried.
It's in her muscles, joints, bones, literally everywhere except in her head.

Nancy, is your daughter taking magnesium and fish oil supplements?

These can help to reduce pain and inflammation.

Also, proteolytic enzyme therapy, like Wobenzym, can reduce inflammation and pain.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eight Legs Bad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not at all unusual for an EEG to be negative even in the presence of severe epilepsy.

People with seizure-like episodes might want to consider getting a family member or friend to try and videotape them as this might make it easier for an LLMD to know what's going on.

Lyme is also known to cause stroke-like syndromes which could mimic seizure. And don't forget that Lyme can cause far more problems with the cranial nerves (controlling muscles of the eye, tongue, face etc) than the short-lived Bells Palsy that the Steere camp talk about.

Elena

quote:
Originally posted by hshbmom:

He said the scans come out normal because they don't measure the sub-cortical region of the brain. I think he was referring to the EEG when he made this statement.

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Posts: 786 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EyeBob
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EyeBob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more you take the phenobarb, the better your body will tolerate it. You should notice less "walking dead" feeling as time goes on.

Sorry to hear about the seizures.

bt

Posts: 299 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Eyebob. I can't live like I am right now long-term. If I did, I might as well call it a day. I've been sleeping a lot.

--------------------
I want to be free

feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
me either LL. ( live this way ) I'm not living.

Praying for you.

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theviewfromthecurb
Member # 10310

Icon 14 posted      Profile for theviewfromthecurb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
l.l.n.y.-

Please bare with me, as I have been pretty sick all week , and logged on to see if i could find help for myself...

then i saw your post and wanted to help you, as i have something very similar, more likely, the same.

It sounds like what I experience almost daily. My llmd calls it, "myoclonic jerking episodes".

I have had lyme and babs for 5 years now, but went 2 years undiagnosed and untreated.

I had a brain scan 2-1/2 years ago,and it had progressed into my brain at that time, however it wasn't until about 10 months ago, that the "episodes" began.

I call them episodes because they are unlike seizures that are more common to a diabetic, from what I understand.

Here is where it gets interesting...

Unfortunately, i married a con-man, who took all my money, and my home, by equity skimming off my real estate.It was pre-marriage money...

While I lay sick and dying from this disease, he was able to forge my name without my knowledge......

The only reason I bring this up is because 2 months ago in divorce court, My llmd and I proved that i cannot work due to all my lyme conditions, and what does my "x" do?

He takes the doctors letters from court, and a list of all my symptoms; the Myoclonic jerking episodes being the main reason.

He brings this to the Department of Motor vehicles and tries to have my license suspended for good, on reckless driver and a hazzard.!?!

WeLL, I have a clean driving record, and after much stress, getting my doctor to call, then fill out 8 pages of paperwork,

The D.M.V. was actually disgusted from his attempt at such an obvious act of harassment.

I wont go on, but my point is, that i learned not to call them seizures.
Technically, they are called "episodes".

and although we take "seizure" meds, don't be confused by the separate type of symptoms.

You would be amazed at what bored and cruel people will do to fill up their day with other peoples business.
When we are sick, this stress just makes it all the more worse.

My symptoms for myoclonic jerking episodes due to Lyme disease are:

1).bells palsy in the left eye brow, which sags, numbs, and twitches. This has been for about 3 years.

2).Jerking is in most of my left body side, and my head and neck. (It forms a giant capital "L" when it gets moving fast)

3).My eyes are rapidly twitching and blinking.

4).My left arm and left leg flop about at their own will. I have tried to sit on my arm, but it doesn't work;
the movement still happens inside the arm itself.

I have had a friend try to hold me down, but it just feels worse.

5).Also, i cannot speak in complete sentences during these episodes.

6). They last from 15 to 20 minutes and
have only been stopped by medication and sedation through the meds.

7).I have found that I will have about a 5 minute window when I can feel one coming on... like my chin will start smaller jerks, and so on.
This is when I immediatly take the seizure meds.
(anti-muscle spasm) if i am having a full on episode, i will take 3 pills, but 2 if i catch it before.
8). I take one at night because I twitch more at the end of the day, especially if it was active.
The more stress you have in a day, the more chance of an episode.

But this is what I have found works for me, and everyone is different.

9).the Magnesium pills work well daily for less stress.

There are so many well informed people on this wonderful site that can tell you just what to do.

I can only tell you what I have experienced and i just wanted you to know that you are not alone.
take care,
catherine.

BTW- After an interview with the department of

motor vehicles, it was determined that Myoclonic

Jerking episodes do not warrant a suspension of a

drivers license , so anyone who may be worried

about this, rest assured, i was just put through

it.

best of health to you!

--------------------
well i know a disease that these doctors can't treat,
you contract on the day
you accept all you see...

Posts: 97 | From nor cal | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

God bless you, Catherine, you've been through hell. I'm so thankful for my supportive husband - I just can't imagine what I'd do in your situation.

Your symptoms sound almost exactly like mine. Thanks for all the helpful information. I will call my symptoms "myoclonic jerking episodes" from now on. That way no one will accuse me of having "fake seizures" anymore. Grrr.

At Christmas time two years ago I fell to the floor with an episode and my niece, a physician's assistant who doesn't believe chronic Lyme exists, lectured me about taking valium. She thinks my symptoms are due to drug addiction!

She also told me she thinks I should have my license taken away. I told her I don't lose consciousness and I don't drive when I'm having a bad day.

She dropped the issue but it still made me nervous. Several people have asked me if I think I should be driving being as sick as I am.

I, too, have a clean record (except for one time 15 years ago (pre-Lyme) when I pulled out in front of a pickup truck, but that was due to lack of sleep.

I don't think I'm a danger on the road because I'm very cautious about my abilities. If I had my license revoked it would be devastating for me.

I have small kids and I take my youngest to preschool most weekday mornings. I try to run errands and grocery shop as much as possible to help my poor, overwhelmed husband.

I feel like a revolving door prisoner as it is, so I'd be devastated to lose any more freedom.

- Lymelady

--------------------
I want to be free

lymeflox
Member # 10543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeflox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both symptoms (arm or leg shaking and those kind of eye disorders) are also classical signs of delayed fluoroquinolone toxicity and common among non-lyme people that have taken cipro, levaquin, avelox, tequin, floxin or the like.

I do not know if you have taken a fluoroquinolone for a long time in the last year or so, but if you have, you might consider the possibility of the antibiotic being the cause, or at least, an important co-factor of your symptoms.

I hope they resolve soon.

Posts: 94 | From canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Really interesting post. I'm so sorry for you all going through this sort of thing.

I'm especially sorry for you "view from the curb"... I've been through repulsive, stealing boyfriends - when I didn't have Lyme & it's awful. Dealing with that & brainfog, etc. is very hurtful... HUGS to you!

I know many of you don't want people sitting around feeling sorry for you but it's the best I can offer right now.

Maybe it would sound more positive if I said I'm sending you some healing energy & I hope the higher beings out there will bring us all some help from all this suffering we are enduring.

None of us asked to go through this. How could we ever believe it if we didn't experience it ourselves...

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barksplinter
Member # 13249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barksplinter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of medications are you on? Anything like Compazine, Inapsine, Phenergan, Reglan, Thorazine... any kind of drug that can cause extrapyramidal reactions?

I have seen Inapsine cause a ladies eyes to involuntarily roll back in her head... and Compazine and Phenergan to cause involuntary movements... in a few cases SEVERE and DRAMATIC!

Mild extra-pyramidal reactions to this class of meds is actually quite common... but often more agitation/anxiety type of reactions.

Posts: 70 | From AZ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement