LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anybody walk out of a wheelchair from treatment?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anybody walk out of a wheelchair from treatment?
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or do you know of those who have and I can search their entries? I have been in a w/c for about a year and am getting stronger with treatment and can finally do some weight-bearing.

Any wheelchair to walking buddies? Thanks.

Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My neice couldn't get out of bed when she was a teen, but is now on her feet & participating in life over 10 years later.

She had Lyme. I only assume she also had coinfections.

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a doctor who is in your state of Colorado who was in a wheelchair and had been diagnosed with ALS before Lyme. After IV Rocephin he no longer needed the wheelchair.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW, there you go Ilene. I told you the other day you will get better. Now just find others and see how they got rid of the walker/wheel chairs.

Cave can probably give you some advice on what helped her.

Good post aliyalex.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a lady in our support group that was previously diagnosed with MS. After Lyme disease treatment she has gotten most of her life back. She was either in a wheel chair or close to the use of one.
Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was bed bound for 18 months needing 24 hour care after progressivly getting worse over 7 years of no diagnosis. It was suggested I could have LD and I tested positive.

After 14 months of treatment I am out of bed, I can drive to the Shops some days and can do my own house work now, albeit little bits. It has been a long hard road and I am told I have a long way to go but I have come so far, its still very difficult every day but to where I was its amazing.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JRachel11:
First of all I want to send my hopes and prayers for your recovery.

Seizures - Are you taking or had Bartonella meds as seizures can be very much part of Bartonella.

I am sure many people here will reply to your post although I hope you do not mind but I have started a new topic to ask for stories of recovery. 'Recovery stories pls for severe Neuro Lyme Sufferer'

Much Love Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting read here
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=015820

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ws bed bond for about a year -

Now Im doing Flips off the Diving board-

OK OK Im only doing Belly flops off the side
-Jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a wheelchair inspired story...but still very inspiring:

My sister-in-law was going blind in one eye, having tremors, motor skill problems and was diagnosed with an early onset of MS (she was in her late 20's) by a top neurologist in Boston.

Coming from a Lyme family, my Mother got her to an LLMD and she tested positive for Lyme.

2 years on various orals and she totally recovered. She re-gained her vision and now, literally, runs marathons!

I'm talking the 26-mile kind. She's an inspiration to me!

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my students had an MS diagnosis and deteririaed to teh point of being in a wheelchair for about six months. She then was treated, got up an walked, and now is attending college full time.

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!! This is an inspiring thread!! Keep going, Aliyalex!! [woohoo]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MAP especially thanks for PM-ing me. My computer died and I forgot I posted this. Wow. Thank you so much for all the support!

Talk about 2 steps forward and 1 back...I rolled down a hill and`shattered my femur 7 mos ago and a few days ago I mysteriously got a hailine fracture in my foot that I have been trying to weightbear on.

After my 2nd appt with Dr`K I stopped progressing. Then realized I could wiggle my toes. Now my bladder control is much better and I am putting weight on my legs` when I transfer.

I am having trouble standing with the walker, tho I know that is my next step.

This thread seems to be helpful to many, let's keep it going.

BTW, I was on tons`of abx including a PICC line and`only got worse. Dr K started me om aggreassive abx and I`was stiff as a board and couldnt detox. Now I am on cholestryamine and much more, but not abx.

That was helpful about tying knees together. I can hardly move my legs to push backwards. Anymore thoughts? Thanks.

Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have had in our local group 2 people lose wheelchairs for MS Lyme- one for ALS Lyme and one lose a 3 headed cane- MS Lyme- all walking now- all normal now except 2 on maintenance abx-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

DId anyone else have trouble opening Meg's link?
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I double checked the link and it still works for me.

You can access this same thread at the top of the General Support Forum.....It's called Success Stories [Big Grin]

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Very interesting link. Thanks Meg, I had lost the internet connection. Got it now.
njgirl14
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njgirl14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is encouraging to me.

I am practically housebound and can barely walk with a walker. My legs are so weak and feel like jelly and I have a hard time just standing. I get very discouraged as I have gotten worse over the past 2 years since treating lyme. Of course all the questions from well meaning family about "why are you getting worse?" doesn't help my morale any either. I was dx with MS for 6 years before lyme dx.

In another thread Californialyme you said about ALS and getting worse with orals. I thought that was interesting. All the LLMDs that I have seen say they do not know why I keep getting worse. This is the first time I have heard anything like that, that would explain my situation even though it was not an ALS dx. I have been on IV a month now.

Do you have any more info CALyme or others? Thanks for listening.

Posts: 262 | From nj | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NJ Girl maybe hyperbaric oxygen would help you regain muscular function.Do a search on this site or member boejr she is a nurse with a chamber who treats lymies in New Jersey.
Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njgirl14
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njgirl14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oxygenbabe - Is that Julia you are talking about? I talked to her a year ago and I will definately go to her when I do HBOT. She is about an hour from me. Right now I am treating for Babesia and I have heard conflicting info as to whether HBOT can make this worse. My LLMD thinks it does not. I am doing a detox IV treatment protocol now and can't afford both that and HBOT.
HBOT is something I will try in the future though.

Posts: 262 | From nj | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it is Julia.
Rest assured it will help you get stronger.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
njgirl14,

What about IVIG? Can you get a neurologist to recommend it?

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njgirl14
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14174

I have not investigated that yet. I need a new neuro - any recommendations?
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Attempting to return to topic. Anymore stories for we late stage, chronic lymies?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement