LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » No Doxy w/ Dairy but what about these...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No Doxy w/ Dairy but what about these...
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all know Doxy can't be taken within 2 hours of Dairy or mineral vitamins.

I assume the reason Doxy can't be taken with dairy is the calcium it contains, that it can bind to it and you may not absorb as much medication.

But what about Oatmeal, Cream of wheat cereal or Malt-o-Meal (like cream of wheat) all are high in calcium. What about casein whey protein?

Now here's the weirdest, whipping cream is dairy, but contains NO calcium or vitamins what so ever, so is it ok?

Confusing...I've heard, but don't know if it is true that Doxy is ok with foods that have naturally occurring minerals, but that wouldn't make sense, because dairy does.

Lastly, if you look up Doxy online, some RX sites say it is ok to take with dairy if needed, others say not.

So considering each of these....what is ok and what isn't? Whipping cream sounds fine, but no Cream of Wheat?

And what about Doryx? Is dairy ok with it - isn't it "time released"?

Anyone know for sure???

[ 12. January 2008, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: lymebytes ]

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no knowledge; up for nurses!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I (think) prepared oatmeal is made with dried milk.

That's why you add water to it. Like hot chocolate mix.

I say take your doxy. Wait two hours and then have some whipped cream

As a reward for taking it. [Big Grin]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always took doxy right after a full meal, even if the meal had a bit of cheese, yogurt or broccoli (which has calcium) in it.

And it worked great for me, I was definitely absorbing the medicine. It was the only way that I could take doxy without nausea or stomach effects.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WillBDone
Member # 14269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WillBDone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just been sticking to the 2 hour rule. No dairy for 2 hours before or after the doxy.

In the beginning I tried as much as possible to do it on an empty stomach to maximize absorbtion, as the insert suggested.

However, I have ended up having to take a cracker or two with it over time, because of the nausea.

--------------------
"You play the hand you're dealt. I think the game's worthwhile."

C. S. Lewis

Posts: 36 | From Illinois | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know about the foods I mentioned?

All contain high calcium - even if the cereals are made with water. They are ALL high in calcium.

Whipped cream however is dairy and has NO calcium? Is it ok then?

I cannot take this drug without having dairy at least within the hour - so I am glad to hear someone else (Vermont) has and it had no effect.

--------------------

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bytes, there was an article wihch measured blood levels in volunteers and found that for maximum absorption Doxy should be taken on an empty stomach. It was one study of some people taking Doxy and eating breakfast cereals and then not eating breakfast cereals. I myself am not CAPABLE of keeping down Doxy without food, but I will try & find that for you. YEs, maximum blood levels are without ANY food, but that makes me and many others nauseous to the point of vomiting! Of course there's Doryx and Monodox which release in the guts not the stomach- so that may be a better option for people like me- but Doxy worked great for me with oatmeal- STILL, you are right technically!!!
Maximum level is without any food!!! Ouch!!

Brb hopefully- child calling-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I've been doing: drinking a full glass of water with the doxy dose, and then waiting 10-15 minutes, and taking the ceftin with my morning tea, with cream. I also eat a little something, usually a muffin.

I figure it's sort of a compromise. The stomach isn't empty for long, but at least the doxy has a head start. And there's very little calcium in cream, so I figure that's fine.

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Is it that milk contains calcium naturally (as do even some greens) or because the diary may ADD more calcium to it ? Do they ?

I don't drink it so don't have a package to look at.

I do love SILK SOY milk, cold . . . in my favorite type, they add calcium to that - so that also would be a consideration - to look at what else is added to anything, I guess.

So, one question may be if the calcium is naturally in food, would be okay, but if calcium is add, then it's not.

Or it's "WAIT either way" - but then all foods containing calcium would have to be considered.

======================

http://home.bluegrass.net/~jclark/calcium_foods.htm

Non-dairy Calcium Foods

Many green vegetables have absorption rates of more than 50 percent, compared with about 32 percent for milk.

In 1994, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported calcium absorption to be 52.6 percent for broccoli, 63.8 percent for Brussels sprouts, 57.8 percent for mustard greens, and 51.6 percent for turnip greens. The calcium absorption rate from kale is approximately 40 to 59 percent.

Likewise, beans (e.g., pinto beans, black-eyed peas, and navy beans) and bean products, such as tofu, are rich in calcium. *Also, about 36 to 38 percent of the calcium in calcium-fortified orange juice is absorbed (as reported by manufacturer's data).

Green leafy vegetables, beans, calcium-fortified soymilk, and calcium-fortified 100-percent juices are good calcium sources with advantages that dairy products lack.

They are excellent sources of phytochemicals and antioxidants, while containing little fat, no cholesterol, and no animal protein.

MANY charts at link - this goes on and on forever... just keep scrolling down . . . down.

Figs have a lot.

Kelp, raw
3.5 oz
168 mg

Sesame seeds, unhulled
1 oz.

Carob Flour
1 cup
359 mg

Fish head soup (uhh ?)
1 cup
150 mg

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kshirsagar NA, Ankalesaria PS. Effect of food on doxycycline absorption. J Postgrad Med 1987;33:117

Introduction

The significance of food-drug interaction as a variable in bioavailability of drugs is now recognised. Food intake has been reported to increase the absorption of some drugs like sulphadimidine and griseofulvin while decreasing the absorption of others like penicillin and cephalexin.[6]

Food may influence drug absorption as a result of many factors such as gastric emptying time, hepatic blood flow or physical and chemical interaction between particular food components and the drug molecules. Different constituents of food have also been shown to affect drug absorption in varying ways.[3]

Tetracycline antibiotics are used for the treatment of a variety of infections.

Doxycycline has the advantages of nearly complete absorption and long duration of action, and is therefore one of the most commonly used tetracyclines.

As opposed to tetracycline, absorption of doxycycline is reported to be unaffected by food.[5] The present study was carried out to assess the effect of standard breakfast on doxycycline absorption.

Material and methods

The study was carried out in six healthy male volunteers aged between 19 and 21 years, body weight ranging from 54 to 63 kg, selected on the basis of normal clinical and routine biochemical investigations. Written informed consent was obtained. After overnight fasting, the subjects were given two doxycycline capsules 100 mg each, either on empty stomach or after a standard breakfast, no food being permitted for 2 hours after it. The standard breakfast consisted of bread, butter and a commercially available milk drink (instead of milk, for sake of uniformity); (K calories 508, proteins 15 gm, carbohydrates 72.5 gm and fat 17.5 gm). The order of administration of drug, with food or after fasting, was randomised and the cross over was done after a washout period of 1 week. Blood samples were collected at 0 hour and at 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12 hours after drug administration.
Doxycycline content was estimated microbiologically[2] using test organism Bacillus cereus var mycoides ATCC 11778. The sensitivity of the method is 0.5 �g/ml.
Area under plasma time concentration curve, C-max, and T-max were the parameters used to assess the bioavailability of doxycycline.

:: Results

Results are summarised in [Table 1]. Standard breakfast reduced the bioavailability of doxycycline as judged by AUC to and maximum concentration reached in plasma, although the rate of absorption as judged by time taken to reach maximum concentration was not affected. [Fig. 1] gives doxycycline concentrations at different timings after drug administration.

At 4, 6 and 8 hours after drug administration doxycycline levels were significantly higher when the drug was given on an empty stomach as compared to when given with food.

:: Discussion

In the present study, standard breakfast was observed to reduce doxycycline absorption significantly.

Absorption of tetracycline occurs in the stomach and the upper small intestine. Absorption of tetracyclines has been reported to be impaired by milk products, aluminum hydroxide gels, sodium bicarbonate, calcium and magnesium salts and iron preparations. The mechanisms responsible for decreased absorption appear to be chelation and an increase in gastric pH.[4]
Doxycycline has been reported to have less binding with ions such as calcium.[5] Schach von Wittenau[5] noted that doxycycline levels 1 hour after drug administration were lower when the drug was given after full breakfast as compared to when it was given on an empty stomach, though this was not statistically significant. At 3 hours and 12 hours after dosing, there was no difference between levels achieved after administration of drug on an empty stomach or with food.
In the present study, significant difference was observed in the plasma values determined 4, 6 and 8 hours after drug administration, AUC and C-max being also significantly lower after administration of drug with food. The infrequent sampling viz. 1, 2 and 12 hours after drug in the study by Schach von Wittenau[5] may be the reason for their missing the effect of food on doxycycline absorption.
Doxycycline undergoes enterohepatic circulation. Lower levels after food could be because of reduced absorption or reduced enterohepatic cycling.
In view of these results, it is advisable to instruct the patients to take doxycycline on an empty stomach.

:: Acknowledgement

This work has been supported by research grant No. HCS/DST/830/79 from Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, which is gratefully acknowledged. We wish to thank the Dean, Seth G. S. Medical College, Bombay, for permitting us to carry out this study.

:: References

1. Gibaldi, M.: Pharmacokinetics of absorption and elimination of doxycycline in man. Chemotherapia, 12: 265-271, 1967.
2. Grove, D. C. and Randall, W. A.: Assay methods of Antibiotics. A Laboratory Manual. Medical Encyclopedia Inc., New York, 1955, p. 50.
3. Kshirsagar, N. A., Takle, M. R., Nadkarni, P. M. and Satoskar, R. S.: Effect of standard breakfast and lunch on. sulphadimidine bioavailability. Ind. J. Med Res., 83: 618-622, 1986.
4. Sande, M. A. and Mandell, G. L.: Antimicrobial agents. In, Pharmacological microbial agents. In, "Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics." Editors: A. G. Gilman, L. S. Goodman, T. W. Rall and F. Murad, 7th edition, MacMillan Publishing Co., New York, 1985, pp. 1170-1198.
5. Schach von Wittenau, M.: Some pharmacokinetic aspects of doxycycline metabolism in man. Chemotherapy, (Suppl.), 73:41-50, 1968.
6. Toothaker, R. D. and Welling, P. G.: The effect of food on drug bioavailability. Ann. Rev. Pharmacol. and Toxicol., 20:173-199, 1980.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Yeah, I'd like to see them take it on an empty stomach!

No nausea at all for me just SEVERE acid reflux and I am on a PPI..didn't do squat, still burned like crazy.

Doryx is next up...a friend I know who couldn't handle generic Doxy took Doryx and you can drink or eat dairy one hour after.

Apparently some brands of Doxy can be taken with dairy, this is what I found; "Dairy products can make it harder for your body to absorb the medicine. Certain brands of doxycycline may not have restrictions about taking them with dairy products. If your doctor has instructed you to take doxycycline with milk, tell your pharmacist that you need a brand of doxycycline that can be taken with milk."

Well if Doryx doesn't work...next up Mino, but I am prone to vertigo, so I am trying to make Doxy work, since 1/3 of women especially on mino get vertigo.

Aren't these abx fun?

[ 13. January 2008, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: lymebytes ]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement