LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Facial flushing (face feels like on fire) from Rocephin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Facial flushing (face feels like on fire) from Rocephin?
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on IV Rocephin for 15 days no problems. HOWEVER, yesterday I notice a little facial flushing and after my infusion last night I have chills and bad facial flushing where my cheeks and ears feel like they are on fire and really red.

What is causing this. I have started nothing new yesterday and can only think that the Rocephin is causing this?

But you would think it would have happened when I first started Rocephin not 15 days in. What do you think? Should I do my dose of Rocephin tonight. I know it will be virtually impossible to get a hold of LLMD since it is a weekend and he is hard to reach as it is.

Hummmmm what to do. Here is a list of meds I'm on. Zith, Lariam (q 5 days), Ursodiol, Rocephin and then supps.

Did anyone experience flushing and a hot face on Rocephin?

[ 12. January 2008, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Doomer ]

Posts: 188 | From ID | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone got any ideas to help me.

I called LLMD to advise and awaiting to hear back.

I also took some benadryl. Face, cheeks and ears still red but don't feel as on fire. I think I will take another benadryl in a couple of hours.

If I don't hear back from LLMD I think I will skip tonights Rocephin's infusion until I get guidance from LLMD. I will just flush the line with saline and heparin.

Don't you just love a disease that you have to manage on your own. MERCY ME

I also look at the Rocephin PI and it states that flushing and chills can occur in <1% of pts.

I'm just baffeled that it didn't happen right away. I did'nt know if I was experiencing some babesia chills ans sweats or what. But this is definately different.

I have had flushing prior to dx which I believe was d/t LD. It would occur when nervous, high pressure situations, exercise, out in cold weather.

I also thought it would have gone away by now b/c it has been 17 hours from the last infusion. Just don't know. So frustrating.

Posts: 188 | From ID | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the facial flushing and redness that goes with it off and on for a few years. I've been on Rochepin twice but never found the two to be related. I tend to beleive its part of a Herx reaction and a sign the medicine is working. For me the flushing usually lasts about week then passes.
Posts: 142 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess, based on my short experience with Rocephin and my doctor's thoughts on that, is that it could be a herx reaction (body's response to dying chetes and their debris) or possible allergic reaction.

If benadryl does not help at all, it may not be an allergic rxn.

Leave a message for your doctor even though it is the weekend.
When I had a similar rxn, I was told to keep going with the Rocephin. But I only lasted a couple more days because of hives and flushing. There are other abx that can be used for IV, so see what you can tolerate and what your doctor says. Best wishes.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica922
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica922     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely have the same things...facial flushing and ears on fire...almost like they are super cold. It has gotten a little better but it is still there...espcially the ears. With me it happens with any abx or herbs that are going after something. I personally think it is
the babs...HERXING is a scary thing.
Note you should not have hives or anything like that with it..

Posts: 422 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is an allergy you should take an antihistimine and pepcid AC one hour before infusing. This should help minimize the reaction. I have had flushing and burning skin before in lyme but never after an infusion.

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Thanks for the feedback and info.

I have not heard from my LLMD. I took another dose of benadryl because my face and ears started to get on fire again.

I'm not sure if it is a herx from the Rocephin or not. Believe me I have herxed, well frankly the last 11 months of abx therapy has felt like one big herx. But never has a herx involved facial flushing with the face and ears being hot and on fire.

I will just continue using benadryl and hope that I hear from LLMD.
[Mad]

Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Update - No Recephin infusion yesterday. I talked to LLMD and he suggested benadryl 30 minutes prior to infusion and only do half of the 2 grams.

So I did premedicate with benadryl and did the Rocephin infusion. Sure enough head got itchy, chills, facial flushing, face and ears on fire.

I have developed hypersensitivity to Rocephin 15 days in. Big bummer. He said he sees it in about 10% of his pts.

Now we have to wait for this to clear up and try Claforan. It is a cephlasproin, same class as Rocephin and hopefully it will not cause a reaction.

I wonder if the Claforan works as well as Rocehpin???

[ 14. January 2008, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: Doomer ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement