LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cowden help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cowden help
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is everyone's experience with Cowden? Did you feel worse before you felt better? I am on abx and started the Cowden. Was feeling pretty good until a few weeks ago-now having increased chest pressure and shortness of breath.

Is it a herx, or reaction to the herbs?

[ 14. January 2008, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: shoney ]

Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I herxed as I ramped up the Samento.

Shortness of breath sounds like babs.

Are you on Full Cowden? It says to take parsley and burbur, ten drops each, every ten minutes when you have symptoms. Read the instructions for more specific info, but I had help from that when ramping up.

I did not have the symptoms you describe though .... mine were more achey feelings.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy96734
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy96734     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on the full Cowden and did not have any herx like reaction. I did have palps before starting it and my LLMD had me add Zhangs Art to it. I was treated with Mepron previously for Babs and he thought it was Babs again. I am on 3 weeks on and 1 week off of the Art. I am on my second on cycle. So far, so good.

It is hard to tell as I really only had a bad palps week months ago, the week before I started Cowden.

I would ramp up the detox as suggested by Sixgoofykids.

--------------------
Lucy

Posts: 342 | From Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else?
Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parsley is in the same family as deadly hemlock-

It can and is used as an herbal abortion.

So be careful, you can overdose and poison yourself with it and the thing with plants is- the different plants have different dosages!
That's the dangerous thing about herbs. I know, people think of PARSLEY and they think, Oh a decorative little sprig! but it comes from a powerful family-

Safety Concerns

Parsley is not recommended during pregnancy. The seeds of parsley contain an oil that can cause uterine contractions and may lead to abortion. Parsley should also be avoided by someone with renal disease or who has an inflammatory kidney condition. The active constituents in the essential oil from parsley seeds includes apiol and myristicin and various terpenoids. These components in the oil can cause kidney and liver dysfunction.

Winston Craig, MPH, PhD, RD.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Funny you mentioned that-I haven't taken the parsley because it is also a diuretic, and I have low blood pressure
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm doing the limited Cowden protocol. I started about a week ago & have had pretty heavy herxing from only 3 drops per day of the Cumunda. I haven't been able to increase the dosage, yet.

The herxing is comparable to abx but the Burbur & the Parsley seem to help. I think the Burbur is more helpful that the Parsley but I take them both together. It probably wouldn't hurt to cut out the Parsley if you feel it's not right for you. BTW - it's the leaves NOT the seeds in the Nutramedix formula..

I'm pretty happy with the results so far. It seems like it's working since I've been herxing alot. Cumanda is very strong stuff as far as I could tell. I haven't been on it very long, though. Maybe if you've taken abx for a while it clears out the spirochetes so you don't herx as much(?) - just a guess...

-----

http://viable-herbal.com/singles/Herbs/s795.htm

Parsley Leaf has been used for centuries to combat digestive ailments and to relieve kidney and liver problems. Parsley Leaf is high in vitamin C and contains calcium and vitamin K as well. Parsley Leaf also acts as a mild laxative and diuretic.

History and Uses:
Parsley Leaf may be found growing throughout the world. It is most often associated with the garnish on your plate in restaurants, but Parsley Leaf is more important to our health than that. Parsley Leaf has been used medicinally for thousands of years. The ancients used Parsley Leaf to treat gastrointestinal disorders, such as flatulence, and it was also used for kidney infections, kidney stones and gallstones. Parsley Leaf has also been used to stimulate menstruation amd has been shown to be a natural diuretic, while helping to prevent the absorption of salt.

Parsley Leaf contains a larger amount of vitamin C per volume than citrus fruits and also contains essential oils, glycoside, magnesium, calcium, beta-carotene, flavonoids and vitamin K. In addition, Parsley Leaf contains chlorophyll, which has been shown to be essential for healthy digestion. Parsley Leaf is also reported to be a mild aphrodisiac, and Parsley Root is also thought to cover a wide range of ailments.

Contraindications:
Parsley is not recommended for pregnant women in large amounts, as it may cause uterine contractions, but used after delivery, it is said to tone the uterus. Parsley should also be avoided by those who suffer from kidney infection.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cumanda packs a strong punch. It took me 3 months to get to a therapeutic dose of 15 drops/twice daily. I did ramp up to 19 drops/twice daily, and then dropped back down to 16 drops/twice daily while I'm on the doxycycline.

Parsley drops didn't help, but burbur does mildly help. I take 8-10 drops of burbur as needed. ProBoost helps a bit, too.

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Thanks everyone-so it seemed like you herxed from the samento/cumanda, even if you started Cowden after abx?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement