LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Electric Shock Treatment for lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Electric Shock Treatment for lyme?
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the claims about rife and the like, anyone know of anyone who did studies on EST? IF rifle works why not this? Now I am talking about the EST that puts you into convoltions.

[ 16. January 2008, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: jamescase20 ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WillBDone
Member # 14269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WillBDone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I think the potential use for VNS therapy should not be discounted. It is entirely possible that the regular, electrical current sent through the vagus nerve could have therapeutic benefits. However the results take more time to be observed than with ECT.

I'm still learning about the ins and outs of rife therapy.

Seeing improvements with ECT
Many people begin to notice an improvement in their symptoms after two or three treatments with electroconvulsive therapy. Full improvement may take longer, though. Response to antidepressant medications, in comparison, can take several weeks or more.

No one knows for certain how ECT helps treat severe depression or other mental illnesses. What is known, though, is that many chemical aspects of brain function are altered during and after seizure activity. Researchers theorize that when ECT is administered on a regular basis, these chemical changes build upon one another, somehow reducing symptoms of severe depression or other mental illnesses.

That's why electroconvulsive therapy is most effective with multiple treatments. Most people who receive ECT have treatments three times a week, usually for two to four weeks. ECT is effective in about 80 percent of people who receive the full course.

Even after your symptoms improve, you likely will need ongoing treatment to prevent a recurrence. That ongoing treatment doesn't have to be ECT, but it can be. This ongoing treatment is known as maintenance treatment. It may include antidepressants or other psychiatric medications or psychotherapy.

Understanding the risks of ECT
Although electroconvulsive therapy is generally safe, there are known risks and side effects. These include:

Cognitive impairment. Immediately after an ECT treatment, you may experience a period of confusion. You may not know where you are or why you're there. This impairment in your thought process (cognition) generally lasts from a few minutes to several hours. However, the more ECT treatments you have, the longer confusion may last. Occasionally, the confusion may last several days. It typically goes away when the course of treatment is over.
Memory loss. ECT can affect memory in several ways. You may have trouble remembering events that occurred before treatment began, a condition known as retrograde amnesia. For most, retrograde amnesia obscures memory of the weeks or months leading up to treatment, although some people do have problems with memories from years previous, as well. You may also have trouble recalling events that occurred during the weeks of your treatment. And some people have trouble with memory of events that occur even after ECT has stopped. These memory problems usually improve within a couple of months. For some, though, memory loss is permanent.
Medical complications. As with any type of medical procedure, especially one in which anesthesia is used, there are risks of medical complications. The pre-ECT medical evaluation helps identify medical conditions that may put you at increased risk of complications during ECT, enabling doctors to take special precautions. During ECT, heart rate and blood pressure increase, and in rare cases, that can lead to serious heart problems. ECT also carries a very small risk of death, about the same as with other procedures in which anesthesia is used.
Physical issues. On the days you have an ECT treatment, you may experience nausea, vomiting, headache, muscle ache or jaw pain. These are common and generally can be treated effectively with medications.

--------------------
"You play the hand you're dealt. I think the game's worthwhile."

C. S. Lewis

Posts: 36 | From Illinois | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting (but scary) thought.

Why wait for the spirochetes to cause the neurological damage when you can have your brain fried with electricity?

I'll bet that would cause a nasty Herx! [dizzy]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blood can be cleared of bacteria with a small DC current. That principle is what is used with a high powered magnetic pulsar or HPMP. The problem is that it would take one heck of a current to clear the whole body.

Electroshock therapy seems way too dangerous for practical use.

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about mitochondria and all the 'good guys'? Wouldn't they also be adversely affected by EST-type treatment?

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

I told my psychiatrist several years back that I was tired of antidepressants, and I wanted the treatment - only I learned that I would have had to have spent 30 days in a hospital to get them - it's not something you do on an outpatient basis. Needless to say, I had a job to work and a daughter to raise, so the drug companies got a little bit more of my wages.

This just lends more credence to my theory that electrosmog is behind both Lyme and mental illness. It has nothing at all to do with your wounded inner child. If something bad happens to you and your brain is healthy, you process the event and move on. If your brain isn't healthy, "mental illness" results.

Freud ruined the planet.

Dr. Phil ruined it, too.

jamescase20
Unregistered

Yeah I would NEVER do that...but I did separate an extension cord to create a massive EMF field, I wrapped it around my head...verified I have a nice 30+ on my EMF meter, comparable to right under the High ten. wires, took 1500mg zitromax bactrim and symetrrel and waited...1 hour watching tv, guess what...I had massive banging and pinging ALL NIGHT!! in my brain! Never did that without the wire. Its believed that EMF fields can drop the BBB. Its also belived that its only cancer causing if you get the emfs in your sleep. Daytime emfs are thought safe. Electrical high tension wire workers do not have higher cancer rates. I live alone but my cats thought I was crazy...meter in one hand...wires wrapped around my head!!!
Greatcod
Unregistered

Her's another soul;ution to our dilemma-
It's either a bottle in front of me.
or a frontal lobotomy.
It wouldn't affect the Lyme directly, but we wouldn't care about being sick anymore.

jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROFL

That was the best laugh I had in 2 months since I started this jouney...thanks man!

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out this documentary on ECT.

http://www.FameCast.com/MaryMarvelMovies

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use to work on what is called Deer Fence we put it up to protect the new growth around say 70 acres of a overstory removal area. Anyway the fences carried a very low amp but high voltage anywhere from 6000 volts to 14000 volts and I took that amount through my body almost every year at least once sometimes twice or even 3 times a year.The DC current was supplied by battery and solar recharge panels.
It felt like someone hit your whole body with a sledgehammer all at once.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mtgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mtgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ECT would likely have little effect on spirochetes, themselves. It would however have a definite effect on brain activity. ECT has been documented to cause side effects like memory impairments. (Who wants more?) Basically, you have to disrupt the electrical circuitry of the brain to get the "therapeutic" convulsion, and this does cause a certain amount of brain damage. The benefits *theoretically* come from a resetting of the neurotransmitters as a result of brain trauma caused by the convulsion. I think I have suffered enough brain damage thanks to Lyme and co.

I used to work at a psychiatric hospital, and ECT is NOT PRETTY. Although it can be administered in an outpatient setting, it can take hours after a session before you can leave the hospital due to complications and side effects. I would not recommend this to even the most depressed patient, let alone people who are already suffering from infections. Just my thoughts. I'm not a doctor, just a therapist, and this is not advice, just my perspective.

--------------------
Mountaingirl

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 138 | From West Virginia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The actual acronym is ECT
which stands for Electro-Convulsive Therapy.

Someone I knew & loved was given involuntary ECT at age 21. She was given 17 sessions, lost 3 years of consecutive memory with sig gaps in other years.... She was NEVER the same, some intrinsic quality of self was forever altered.

I do know someone it worked for, but in general I find it barbaric and horrific, especially when done involuntarily.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement