LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » In need of REALLY nonchemicalized soap/clothes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In need of REALLY nonchemicalized soap/clothes
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - does anyone have any suggestions about soap and clothes with no chemicals in them? lol - well, I hope you all know what I mean - I'm reacting to about every soap/detergent and new clothes item now.

I used to use the old unscented Clearly Natural soap bars, and then the company got bought and replaced it with their new unscented bars which don't work for me. If anyone knows if there are any more of the old unscented Clearly Natural soapbars, with the orange stripe across them, those are the bars I need. If you even found any in your healthfood stores - tho I doubt it since they were replaced a year ago -- I would be totally interested in purchasing them from the store!

I'm not handling detergents for clothes and I haven't yet found soap I can use on my clothes without the clothes causing me itching afterwards. And I'm wondering how I get the soap out of the clothes once I've tried to wash them. I soak them in the bathtub and still the soap doesn't seem to come out. And I can't touch new clothes. This is a very limited apparel experience right now...definitely feels like I've entered the twilight zone.

And what's this all about? I am in the process of having extensive allergy/bloodwork done. Today results came back on the IgA, IgE, IgG and IgM antibodies. My IgA is very low, and my IgE is almost doing the disappearing act. The allergist said for me to wait till next week to discuss it all, after I've done all the allergy tests he's doing with me. Then I'll know more, from his standpoint, about what he wants to do about all this. Maybe I should do antibody IVs - lol.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As someone with severe MCS, I've never found a good way to get detergent out of clothes. It just STICKS. Soaking in baking soda and water, or dry milk powder and water, can help absorb some of the stench, but realistically it won't be easy. Wash again and again and again in hot water with baking soda added to every wash (no detergent needed: just use baking soda).

I can't be around people whose clothes have been washed in Tide, even after they have washed those same clothes for over a year in fragrance free nontoxic detergent, because the Tide does not come out!!! And it makes me very sick even after a year.

Also, getting the old detergent residue out of a washer won't be easy.

There are lots of sources of organic cotton, undyed clothes online. You might want to order an organic cotton, undyed garment and hand wash it in water and baking soda, then try wearing it, just to get a sense of what you can actually be around without getting sick -- if anything. Then go from there.

Good luck!

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, my friend with severe MCS makes a sort of "tea" solution out of baking soda by pouring boiling water over it -- which makes it frothy -- then storing it in a jar to use as liquid soap. She just uses this instead of soap. It's worth a try if you're reacting to other soaps.

I use Dr. Bronner's liquid unscented soap, very pure and I recommend it.

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my kids were little they got terrible rashes from anything other than cotton clothes washed in Shaklee laundry detergent. All commercial brands gave the rash.

You can find a local Shaklee distributor to get a sample to try, I'm almost certain.

If not, drop me a line and I'll send you some of mine!

Carol Ann
[email protected]

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ditto Shaklee products. although I do not use them on a regular basis, I love their products because there is no odor.
Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
webmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for webmeg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about "Dreft" for washing your clothes?

That's recommended when you have a newborn.

I'm allergic to a lot of soaps (don't even mention TIDE or I'll start to itch).

Dreft was great and all the grocery stores carry it.

~webmeg

Posts: 257 | From Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got so bad when I had MCS
I just used really really really hot water...

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Trader Joe's "Next to Godliness" laundry detergent.

It's made from plant and earth based ingredients.

It is unscented and is free rinsing.

I won't use anything else.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol Ann, could you please PM me (if you want, or just post it here) a bit more about the Shaklee laundry detergent? I've heard of Shaklee all my life (in my mid 40's now) but never tried it. Or known anyone whose tried it.

I'm curious to know how you go about getting it. I looked up Shaklee online, and it is not clear if you have to order from a distributor (person) or if you can go into a store and buy something there.

I'd prefer to buy from a store. I do not look forward to having to hear a whole sales pitch in changing all of my cleaning products. I am only interested right now in trying new laundry detergent. None of us has MCS issues (well not severe) I have not tried too many different brands. One I did like was a product from Europe called Persil. It was so pricey that I only bought one box, but I loved it. Made specifically for front loaders, and man it worked like nothing else. ONLY product that did not send me screaming from the room with scent, either. I actually liked it, and did not react to the scent, which was very faint.

Anyway, if you could, give me some basic info on how to obtain a box of their detergent?
thanks so much!
Julie

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I use Seventh Generation for laundry and hand dish liquid soap.

Bi-o-Kleen for tougher degreaser and spray cleaner.

Seventh Generation and Bi-o-kleen each has a web site.

These are just two.

The laundry liquid from Trader Joe's is supposed to be eco-friendly, but it has a strong odor to it.

If you have other unscented products, they can still be petroleum and chemical based. Check the labels.

Eco-safe or eco-friendly does not mean safe for folks with MCS - multiple chemical senstivities.

Check for plant-based ingredients and avoid lavender at all costs, even if it's natural. Lavender is very hard on those with MCS. Citrus may be okay, if a true essential oil, but best to steer clear.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loooooooove Shaklee so much! Not only is it completely OK for me to use with my MCS but - hey - added bonus -- it actually *works* too!

I asked Santa for and got the Shaklee "Get Clean" starter kit, which is amazing. Julie, I think they just ordered it online -- I think there's a way to do that without having to jumop through a bunch of hoops.

I use their detergent, and they also have dryer sheets which are nearly impossible to find without chemicals in them. Also use their all purpose spray and a bunch of other stuff which is all super fab-o.

As for personal body soap, I lucked out and found this soap in a store..

https://www.marseillesoap.com/history.cfm

It's olive oil soap from Marseille and it's been made the same natural way since 1688. I'ts been the best soap for me to use because again it's effective and doesn't irritate me in the least.

[Smile]

A.

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Seventh Generation Free & Clear is great.

One more thing:
I once didn't have severe MCS, but I'm sure continuing to use products that had petroleum-based ingredients and other chemical toxins contributed to my worsening course (I'm exquisitely petroleum-sensitive now, and petroleum is in everything).

So be careful to think not just about now, but about your future. Also, remember that a lot of products that might be safe for you will make other people sick, and you don't want to keep people like me from having access to support groups, medical facilities, etc. I used to be able to go to such places but can't now, mainly because other people make me sick!

I wish you luck finding products that work!!

wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi -

My whole family has soap sensitivities and I have MCS, so.... I love the following, but am in no way connected with companies.

Stumbled upon this soap at a B&B in New Mexico. Now I order it once a year in bulk (helps defray costs). Sappo Hill Soapworks of Ashland, OR makes glycerin soaps with nothing else in them unless you ask. We order these round bars of soap for our hands/bodies and I am able to handle the ones scented with almond extract as well as the oatmeal.

I recommend you google them for details with ingredient lists and photos. They've been a godsend for me.

We also use Trader Joe's clothing detergent, dish liquid and dishwasher powder. Their shampoo and rinse in the blue bottles work well for me with the MCS issue. TJ's also has pump glycerin hand soap that is much easier on the hands than regular soaps.

Best of luck to you,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been an interesting thread! And Hi There Alison [hi] long time no see/talk!

I was going to try and give a call to a few of the Shaklee reps that I found in my area online. I got sidetracked having lunch with a friend, and then on a whim, stopped by my local appliance store and picked up a box of Persil detergent, because I LOVE the scent. I'm on my 3rd load, and my clothes are coming out AMAZINGLY clean. I faintly remember this happening the last time I used it (at least a year ago) I was in awe of how bright my colors were, and how white my whites were getting without using bleach.

Anyway, gonna give my Persil another whirl, and then move on to Shaklee most likely. I've been using Cheer for the longest time, and no dryer sheets in at least 8 years, without problems, but I want to see if I can dial it in a bit and get a better fit with what I'm after scent/cleanliness-wise. My old front loader washing machine is almost on it's last legs (a lemon Neptune Maytag front loader for those that can recall 10 years ago) so I"ve been shopping washing machines lately. Which is what got me to thinking about detergents again. The Miele brand washer/dryers feature the Persil brand detergent, so in my roundabout way, that's how I got hooked on this pricey stuff! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[hi] Hi Julie! Likewise, and Mandy says hi too! Fingers crossed, we're going to start agility training. Eeps!

[Smile]

A.

P.S. Robin (hi too!) there is a store in SF that (hopefully still) sells the olive oil soap, it's Karikter on Sutter at the very back left hand side of the store.

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thx, all - it's interesting to come back here and read all this.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sensitivities were extreme like yours.

I use Sun and Earth Brand Laundry Detergent, along with baking soda. I don't use any fabric softener or dryer sheets. They also make a dish soap. I can't find the dishsoap anymore though, so now I use Seventh Generation. I get both at Giant.

Kiss My Face makes an olive oil soap for bathing that I do okay with. They sell this at healthfood stores and at Wegman's.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give Mandy a big kiss for me [kiss] I still love the puppies, I walk a lot of my neighbor dogs, which is so beneficial for my mental health!

I am going to S.F. this morning Alison, to pick up some replacement foam cores for my sofa at foamorder.com on Howard, so I'll shoot up to the Sutter/Stockton garage (my old parking lot when I went to Dr. S. during treatment days) and find that karikter store and look for that soap! I did look on the website you gave, and all their french stuff looks so yummy.

I know what you mean about it "working". I've tried some organic, granola-y type products that *don't* work. Either they are too 'blah' to see that they are doing their job, or they flat out don't work. I've used hair products that have left my hair icky, so I have kind of stopped trying a lot of Trader Joes' stuff, but I do go to Elephant Pharmacy and have some luck with their products they carry. One in particular, for hand lotion is the "EO" brand. LOVE this stuff, the lavender scented products do not give me headaches, and they WORK! I have nice soft hands instead of cracked dry ones.

Thanks for the soap tip Alison! [Smile]

--------------------
Julie

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement