LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Zhang protocol success?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zhang protocol success?
karuna
Member # 14313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me if they or someone they know has gotten better with *just* the Zhang protocol and no pharmaceutical meds? I'm wondering what the success rate is.

I'm considering doing Zhang for a few months to see if it's effective for me, before trying antibiotics. I'm not sure if postponing the antibiotics is a stupid idea. I'd really rather heal with herbs, though, as abx long term scares me (I have a severe penicillin allergy, and worry about developing another abx allergy). So I want to try Zhang for a while first. Was planning Buhner, but there's a local practitioner who uses Zhang. I don't know anything about the Cowden protocol but have seen it mentioned here.

Any advice/stories appreciated! Thanks.

Posts: 7 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who has healed on Zhang's herbs. I do not know if she ever did abx.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did Zhang for six months, but I did have to drop one of the products after 2 months because it raised my blood pressure too high.

I was not any better after 6 mos., and I was so sick of smelling like garlic that I still can't stand to eat it now. I had to explain to everyone around me why I smelled so bad, and my husband had to sleep facing away from me, because he could not stand it. I don't think garlic smells that bad, and could not smell myself, but others sure could.

I've never had any ABX for my Lyme, due to allergies. That may be why this failed for me. It may be a great mop up protocol, I do not know.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't tell you about the Zhang protocol, except my LLMD asked me to look into it.

He's going to treat me with antibiotics, and then switch later to herbs--I'm assuming he intends to use Zhang herbs.

I hope you get plenty of replies because I have found very little information about using the protocol--except now I know it stinks!

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karuna
Member # 14313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies.

Klutzo-- since you haven't tried antibiotics, can you share what else you have tried? Has anything been effective for you?

Posts: 7 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doc Zhangs Artemisia can clear up some Babesiosis all on it's own, but I don't know anyone who has ever gotten in remission from his Lyme regime. His Artemisia is awesome though.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my wife did 40 days of zhang artemisa followed by 40 days of mepron/zith and her previously positive babesia reading (high positive) turned negative.
Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
karuna- How long have you had Lyme for?

If you got it very recently, I would probably try the abx first.

I've been ill for about 10 years & I didn't know it was Lyme. The abx didn't help me at all when I tried them about 1 year ago. I did them for about 8 months.

I'm trying the Cowden protocol now & I'm having very good results so far... keeping my fingers crossed!

I heard Zhang was good for co-infections but I'm not sure if I have them. I may try that after the Cowden protocol.

I think the Cowden protocol is the best herbal protocol from what I've read. You do have to keep switching around until you find something that help. I really don't like taking large doses of abx. I don't think it's a good idea. There are alternatives.

Just my personal opinion.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi karuna,
To answer your question: I've done so many things all at once, that it's hard to tell which ones have helped the most, and the list of things I tried that did not help would be even longer. I've had Lyme for 22 years, misdiagnosed for the first 17 yrs. as MS, then as FMS.

Things that have noticeably helped me are : Exercise to tolerance, CPAP machine, Armour Thyroid, Samento (which is part of the Cowden Protocol), high dose Magnesium citrate, L-Glutamine, L-Tryptophan, B Complex, Whey Protein, a mostly raw foods diet, complete elimination of toxic people from my life (yes, that even includes relatives), and acupuncture.

I am definitely not cured and have many serious, permanent damage problems from Lyme, but because of the things listed above, I am functioning on a day to day basis better than some folks who take ABX, and I take nothing for pain now, after having been in awful pain early in the illness. However, I feel I am slowly but surely losing the war, and don't expect to be around five years from now.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement