LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » SIBO questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SIBO questions
seewater69
Member # 11433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seewater69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I think I have this, they proposed me flagyl to get rid of it, only it seems to aggravate my SIBO symptoms (?). Can we share knowledge on this topic?

thank you

Posts: 75 | From europe | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is odd. usually the treatment is Rifaxamin. The trick with SIBO is to stimulate more cleansing waves in the gut. This can be done by eating at regular intervals. You should get Pimintal's book "the new IBS solution"
Did you test positive on the lactulose breath test?

i was also diagnosed with SIBO, tested positive, and was treated with Rifaximin (Xifaxan) for 2 weeks at 1,200 mg/day. Did not notice any improvement. Repeated the Rifaxamin, this time at 1,600 mg/day, and it gave me a relapse of c.diff within 4 days. Xifaxan is supposed to help treat c.diff in some cases, but in mine, it brought it back and it was awful. I would stay away from antibiotics if I were you. Good luck.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seewater69
Member # 11433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seewater69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wildcondor,

stay away from abx? How is it possible? I am too sick. sibo is c difficile? I haven't done the test, but I have seen a gastro enterologist who adviced me on this based on symtpoms. She also told me to do the test, bit is it really necessary? I know I have gas and bad bacteria in the gut...

Posts: 75 | From europe | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested positive for klebsiella and citrobacter. I also had none of most of the good bacteria in my gut.

I took Cipro for 21 days and it removed all symptoms, but they came back after the Cipro.

I also took/take VSL#3 to rebuild the good bacteria. It has 450 billion organisms!

Oregano oil, uva ursi, and plant tannins helped a lot.

After I took Humaworm and Levaquin, all my symptoms went away. I had a tapeworm in my gut I didn't know about. Plus, I think bart was contributing to the GI issues. Humaworm hits many of the bacteria/parasites I had as well.

I took my Lyme/babs/bart abx all along. My gut is now the best it's been in my life!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seewater69
Member # 11433

hi six...

what test did you do?

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, SIBO is not c.diff, although it may be one of the bad bacteria causing it.

I'm saying that the antibiotics for SIBO (Rifaxamin/Xifaxan) may not work, you may have to take long term doses of it, and it may not even treat it. the best thing to do is get the cleansing waves in the gut to increase. VSL #3 is a good probiotic choice. IMHO eat no sugar, stay away from antibiotics if possible, try herbs instead they do less to damage gut flora.

Truthfinder
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do they test you for SIBO?

Sixgoofy, how did you find out you had a tapeworm (I think I read it on another thread but forgot!)? [Smile]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SIBO is diagnosed with lactulose breath testing.
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy, when I saw it! Yuck!

I was tested by a stool test from Genova Diagnostics. Not the typical SIBO test, that's why I have the specific bacteria names of what were problems for me.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks WildC and Sixgoofy -

So, six, does this mean that the Genova testing didn't pick up the tapeworm problem, and that it was the Humaworm that caused it to... uh... be expelled?

Good grief.

I recently heard a 'horror story' of someone local who had a tapeworm, told her docs that's what she thought it was, and had to jump through all kinds of hoops just to get a plain film x-ray of her abdomen..... and sure enough, there it was!

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement