LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Fry Labs for Bart -Did EVERYONE come back POS?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fry Labs for Bart -Did EVERYONE come back POS?
Chia Pet
Member # 12399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chia Pet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to use Fry Labs to check for Bart, but my LLMD said he does not use them. His opinion is that he is not sure what to make of them since everyone seems to come back POS.

My understanding is you get a photo with your results?

My interpretation based on what they voiced to me was they utilize the old fashioned method and look for these bugs under the microscope and look at all forms vs. computerization used in testing these days which I think only looks for 2 or 3 strains.

I've heard good things about them.
I've also spoken to the technician there.

What are your LLMD's opinions?

I spoke with a different LLMD and they also do not use the Lab.

So why the hesitancy. Why wouldn't everyone use all lab techniques available to them?

Is there a possibility of a false POS? I wouldn't imagine so. If the bug is there, the bug is there right? or can mistakes be made, I mean afterall you are looking at microscopic blood samples.

[ 23. January 2008, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Chia Pet ]

Posts: 85 | From here | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested in hearing more answers to this.

I also got a positive Bart from Fry Labs. I was very happy with this result though because it was basically an ANSWER for me. I wanted some sort of answer and I got one.

I have no idea about false positives though. [Eek!]

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hanginginthere
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hanginginthere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD believes in the lab and the tests & I was negative. Of course, that doesn't mean for sure that I don't have a co-infection...it just means it wasn't visible in that particular blood smear.

I just wanted to reassure you that not everyone is positive! [Wink]

Posts: 136 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HamDune
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HamDune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can confirm that not every FRY lab test suggests Bartonella infection. My titers did come back positive and the images of my RBCs matched the images that Dr. Schaller published supporting diagnosis.

Between the titers and the smear images, I think the test is worthwhile and would recommend it.

Posts: 85 | From Texas | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My test came back negative.
Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD loves the test and thinks it is a good one.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was positive for Bart on the blood smear.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my test came back negative.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my test came back negative.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had 2 different respected LLMD's say good things about Fry labs.

I came back positive for Bart but both my parents came back with negatives.

I do not believe there are false positives with Fry.

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chia Pet
Member # 12399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chia Pet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by disturbedme:
I'm interested in hearing more answers to this.

I also got a positive Bart from Fry Labs. I was very happy with this result though because it was basically an ANSWER for me. I wanted some sort of answer and I got one.

I have no idea about false positives though. [Eek!]

That's exactly what I am seeking. answers. Have had 3 Bart tests done through MDL and Ignenex.

I respect the LLMD's opinions who told me this, and I am not certainly seeking to stir any controversy, but this has gotten me to wondering.

It's understandable that an LLMD may become smitten with MDL or Igenex, but it may not be in my best interest in seeking all possible venues for results.

Perhaps the methodology is not as advanced as computerization, but sometimes old fashioned is not a bad thing. [Wink]

Thanks for all the responses.

Posts: 85 | From here | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came back negative for Bartonella by fry. Although with a European lab (twice) I came up positive for Bartonella.

I have also always had a high ANA and still do but this was Negative by Fry.

I also had a highly positive Lyme by Igenx & Quest but this was negative by Fry.

In fact according to fry my blood were perfect!!!!!!!!!!

I have read bart tests are only 20% accurate and is more of a lottery than Lyme testing, so Bartonella should definatly be a clinical diagnosis until these are more accurate.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ByronSBell 2007 Wrote: My LLMD loves the test and thinks it is a good one. QUOTE]

I assume you have changed LLMD's?

We had the same LLMD and in Nov last year (only 8 weeks ago) when I requested this test he had never used it before and when I got the results it back the clinic was unable to read the result, the clinic did not even have an account with Fry

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I had my blood test done by Fry, I got both the titers and the smear. The smear came back positive for Bart and negative for Babs. The titer came back negative for Bart and positive for Babs.

So, if you're going to use the Fry lab, I think you should get BOTH tests done, not just one or the other.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chia Pet
Member # 12399

Thanks for the advice y'all. Much appreciated.
frickla
Member # 9818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frickla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was negative first time and positive second time. I was told by my LLMD that the lab cannot see the BLO if you have biofilm. If negative try week or so of levaquin and then retest or just treat anyway for BLO if symptoms.
Posts: 25 | From Lorton, VA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD won't order Fry tests, but this could be because he is affiliated with Igenex. My other LLMD says she keeps meaning to call them to ask abou their methods, but for now she sticks with Igenex.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My smear was totally negative. For whatever reason, my LLMD didn't get the titers drawn, but the smear was perfectly clear.
Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I have seen two LLMD's one ILADS one non-ilads...neither use Fry.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CD57 I am pretty sure we have the same LLMD and he did order a Fry Bart smear for me which did come back negative even though we both think I have bart.

In some cases he will order a Fry test if you ask and have good reason for requesting one. Both my Igenex bart tests were negative as well.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikej2323
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikej2323     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alex's Fry smear was positive and titer for Bartonella spp. was 1:64. There are three things that make me believe this test is valid;

1} Her blood tests for RDW [Red cell distribution width] has been abnormal since first onset of symptoms, although nobody knows why it is abnormal. This can indicate abnormal RBC morphology, mixed population, or immature RBCs. I believe this is due to the bart. attached to the RBCs.

2} One blood test indicated a poikilocytosis, which is defined as "abnormally shaped red blood cells.

3} Alex had the the characteristic red striae marks on her kneecaps and abdomen.

Put all this together and I believe it's a valid and reliable test.

Mike
[email protected]

www.caringbridge.com/visit/angelsforalex

Posts: 252 | From Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

Hubby's RDW always goes down to normal range when he treats for Babesia -- have never seen elevated RDW listed as an indicator of Bartonella, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. Hubby's Bart symptoms generally become more active when treating Babs so who knows. This time around he is trying to treat both Bart and Babs at the same time.

Hubby had 2 Fry tests --

First test -- bloodslide positive for both Bart and Babs, titer elevated for Bart

Second test -- 5 months later after treatment for Babs only -- bloodslide positive for Bart only -- did not do titers

Current LLMD uses Fry lab -- did not believe hubby's negative Babs test and is retreating -- seems he was correct -- think we should have waited longer after treatment before retesting.

The pictures I have seen posted from Fry lab all look different, so for me that gives added confidence that they are legit.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikej2323
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikej2323     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea,

When your husband's RDW normalizes from babs treatment, do you see a proportional response in his overall health? In other words, does he feel better?

What is his current treatment for both babs and bart?

Mike
[email protected]

www.caringbridge.com/visit/angelsforalex

Posts: 252 | From Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement