LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Wife ill for 3.5 years not getting better...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wife ill for 3.5 years not getting better...
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been to 2 LLMD's treated but not getting better. Had rash and 1 band on west blot, negative for bart & babs, but we think due to night sweats she had babesia.

has had 4/5 different treatment regimens.

Stays up all night, then sleeps 15+ hrs a day. Then not rested after sleep.

Any ideas on other possible issues. Is it normal to be so ill for so, long.... taking to regular MD today to get checked for diabietes, hormones

Is 46 and has otherwise been health up until illness.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need more info

Whats antibiotics have been tried and for how long? Oral or IV?

Good diet?
List of symptoms?

What test did you use for co-infections? Not getting better for a long time and having night sweats... I could almost guarantee babesia could be a problem

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blake,

As stated earlier, we would need more information, but with the little you did give, I would say that I too tested negative for co-infections but my LLMD treated me for both bartonella and babesia due to a clinical diagnosis.

I wasn't getting better until we moved over to some of those protocols and basically the testing for co's isn't any better than lyme. Not being doctors, we can't say for sure what is going on with your wife, but I can say that for me, I was getting these bed wetting soaks that appear to have been babesia in my particular case.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things work out for your wife.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Symptoms;

Night sweats
Tired/fatigue
Wrist, neck, leg and foot pain
Loss of balance

All Oral Abx

Current Treatment;

Clarithromycn 2x 500mg & Ceftin 500mg 1x
Cymbalta

Was on Mepron & Zith for 4 weeks, but had liver risk, seemed to have some relief

Previous
Bixan/ Plackanow (sp) 6 months or so
Tetra for 6-9 months per LLMD
Amoxyclin appx 6months
Doxy 2-3 months

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess, from the info you have given here, is that she needs to be treated for babesia. She saw improvement from Mepron, otherwise, no improvement for over three years.

Babesia needs to be treated first. The liver is important [Smile] , so the details in the treatment need to be determined by the LLMD, but my guess is she won't get better until the babs is treated first.

It took me many months to make a dent in the babs ... four weeks is nothing. [Frown]

I would also suggest that she focus on detoxing .... many times insomnia at night is caused by the body trying to detox. Since she can sleep during the day, it doesn't sound like she actually has trouble sleeping.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's awful when someone you love is sick and not getting better. Based on my own experience what you describe sounds like it could be babesia. It took three tests before mine came back positive but fortunately my LLMD started treatment well before it was confirmed. It took several cycles of Mepron/Zith topped off with quinine and clindmycine before I started to feel better and several of the symptoms thatyour wife is experiencing subsided. It's bad enough to think something else might be going but again, based om my experience, if you didn't have the symptoms before you were bit, you got to go with lyme and a possible co-infection. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Posts: 228 | From Wassaic NY. USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The risk to our liver is very real for all of us and greater for some of us than others.

Be sure your wife follows a very nutritious diet and supplements with some liver support. Her doctor should be able to recommend something. A well nourished body can fight off the illness and the drug side effects better than a poorly nourished one.

Eat as much raw fruits and veggies as possible because they give a strong dose of nutrients.

The exact right diet varies from patient to patient so I won't try to tell her what to eat.

Some consistent foods to avoid are:

sugar and processed foods.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Levaquin has helped me a lot in the past few weeks.

If co-infections are not addressed properly, than the infection rages on.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can't get a doc to treat the babesia without a positive test, on clinical symptoms alone, then maybe try to get a blood smear done to look for the parasites. There aren't tests for all the babesia species, so negative antibody tests alone are not a guarantee of no babesia. This is what happened to me, finally found it in a blood smear by a lab that knew what they were looking for. Hard to get microscope work done these days because it is labor intensive. Most labs only want to do automated testing.

I also had some liver problems with mepron, had to stop for a while, but finally got rid of babs (knock on wood), with mepron, zith, and short course of artemisia. This took many months of treatment.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It IS normal to be ill so long with chronic Lyme-and a certain percentage of people never go into full remission or get completely well- they stay on "maintenance abx" so they don't decline. In our local group that's about 1/3 of the people, I don't know how it is where you live. But some people never get un-chronic. They stay chronic.
IMO WITH MANY IT MAY BE UNTREATED COINFECTIONS!

I agree re the Babesia- and also, it sounds like she has gone on & off abx and perhaps needed more aggressive treatment than she has had- sick that long I would have expected IM to be brought up-

I was on Mepron 2 years- don't know anyone else that long but don't know a SINGLE person who got well from babs with ONE month of Mepron!!! not one- so I would agree with everyone so far re addressing that- also you can add Artemisia to Mepron to double the punch!!!

But her liver- you do have to be careful- people made some good suggestions-

But reading her treatment I am not surprised she is still chronic- I have never seen a longterm chronic go into full remission with orals except for Bactrim- other than that only with IM or IV-
and sick this long is is longterm chronic now.

WAIT- I forgot Art Doherty- he went into full remission with high dose AMOXICILLIN!!! I forgot!
But still, VERY rare-

With her illness, diagnoses & treatment history if she was my daughter (I know, she's your wife but I don't have a wife I am just htinking of someone I love) I would try to get her on IM BIcillin,Mepron&Zithromax & Artemisia ...!!
IV is a risk. IM you just do one shot a week and it is stronger than most orals...
Best wishes, truly,
Sarah
p.s. AND I knew one longterm chornic tertiary Lymie sick NINE YEARS who went into full remission- 3.5 years does NOT mean she can't do it-!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trish4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trish4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi.My LLMD tested for lyme babs and erch and since only lyme came up positive that is the only one he is treating me for. I am 100% sure I have babs though based on my symptoms and have not felt better since treatment which i started in july. Actually I have gotten a lot worse. I feel this is because I am not being treated for babs and am not on any detox supplements. However, I am waiting for supplements I ordered from cowden protocol which are supposed to help detox, they should be here by monday so Ill see if they help.

This week I will be searching for a new llmd who will treat me for babs based on clinical symptoms and not the blood test. I too sleep 15 hours a day and am up all night. I also am in bed when I'm awake from the severe fagigue and before I started treatment I was able to get out of bed in the morning and go to work for 2 - 3 hours a day, and still spend time with my friends and go out on the weekends, but now seem to be completely bed ridden. I am able to walk if I have to but it's completely exausting.

So it seems as me and your wife have somewhat similar problems. I would get her treated for babs and doing detox cause thats the next route Im going. Ill let you know the outcome

Posts: 370 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the mepron worked, but she could not tolerate it, perhaps she could try malarone. Malarone has the same active ingrediant as Mepron but in a smaller dose. Malarone also has a second ingredient called Proguinal. This drug has worked for some that were mepron failures. It is usually taken with a macrolide such as zithromax or biaxin.

Artemisinin is also a babesia drug that can be taken with the above combo.

Please check all of this out with your doc. I am not a doctor.

She should follow the above suggestions for liver support.

Milk thistle is an excellent liver supplement. Also, an herbalist can make a liver support/detox tea that can greatly assist. It is usually made of dried herbs and is prepared at home buy boiloing the herbs. Basically, from the dried plant to your stomach. I have found this to work MUCH better than store-bought teas.

Hope this helps.
robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with the above feedback. Babs tests are unreliable, so testing negative does not mean she does not have babs.

Since she had some relief from mepron and babs tx, that is a good indicator that should probably continue.

One month of mepron and zith would not cure babs.

I was on malarone for a little over 5 months. My doc thinks malarone alone can be an effective tx for babs; as someone mentioned above, it has two active ingredients so unlike mepron, does not have to be taken with zith. (It can be taken with zith, but it does not have to be for the resistance issues).

Also, what does amoxy was she taking? Perhaps not high enough; I took quite high-dose amoxy (10.5g/day) and found the higher doses of amoxy far more effective than lower doses, for me. Best wishes.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement