LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What is the average cost of an LLMD?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the average cost of an LLMD?
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently switched docs because my previous LLMD retired due to severe health problems. I saw the PA, the Medical Director of this clinic is Dr. H who used to practice in TX.

They charged my daughter and I each $300.00..total $600.00. Old LLMD was a lot more afforable. I'm just kind of curious.

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that is a charge for an initial visit, consider yourself lucky. Did you ask if subsequent visits will be less? Also, the amount of time spent with you would have an impact on the fee.How long did he spend with you?

robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My visits are about that much. It depends on the time you want to spend with the LLMD. An hour is about that much for me and about $100 less if visit will only be 30 minutes.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends on where you are!!! Around here the average cost is $10 because all of our LLMDs take insurance- we are lucky that way, we protected our doctors with legislation in CA.

If you want cheaper LLMDs, get legislation passed that protects them from losing their licenses. When doctors don't feel safe they avoid insurance companies by having people pay out of pocket- adn that is always way more expensive- it SUCKS how expensive some Lyme docs can be- but I don't blame them- they have to squirrel away defense funds for lawyers- many of them get picked off by medical boards and they know it...

ANYWAY, around here, $10 average SC county because all except one take insurance & that is an average co-pay.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sarah, you Californians worked hard to pass your legislation; good for you making them AFFORDABLE!

it's not otherwise. Midwest is around $400-$500 of those I'm aware of.

Florida can be up to $800+ for one!

east coast is $800 - $1200 !!

west coast I've heard is $600 - $800.

midwest most reasonable for OUT OF POCKET!

there are NOT that many members as lucky/fortunate as Sarah who HAVE INSURANCE WHO PAYS FOR THEM! they are few and far between on this board from those who have confided to me!

good luck to you!

last year I paid $5,000 out of pocket for 3 llmd visits out of state, different body labs done considered by bcbs to be experimental, etc. and $1,000 for travel out of pocket.

lyme is NOT a cheap disease to have! [cussing]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hanginginthere
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hanginginthere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
snowboarder,

bettyg's right on (as usual [Wink] ) I was a patient of the same LLMD practice as you and have come to find out since, they were really quite affordable!

Now I pay $1000 for first visit, $500 for follow-ups & $250 for 30 minute phone calls.

In 2006, I had $25k in unreimbursed medical expenses...I haven't done my 2007 taxes yet, but this year's total is sure to be a frightening lot more! Being sick sure is expensive!! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 136 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I would say $500-700 at least, depending upon where you are located.

That would be for the initial visit. Then about $150-200 per visit after that.

How are you and your daughter doing, snowboarder??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pay $650 for one hour initial visit with well known LLMD in Connecticut, then $300 for each thirty minute follow up visit. My wife and I are both in treatment, so it is double that for each visit for us.

I hurts but it hurts less to pay than to be sick. And I know our LLMD is not making more than the average doctor who takes insurance, by any means. For that matter docs in this area,if you look at thier charges, are even more than that anyway.

Our primary care's office gets $225 for a fifteen minute visit. I never really looked at the charges before because all I pay is a copay, but it really is in line with our LLMD charges.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarah, am wondering if Santa Cruz county is the exception, because I can't find any LLMDs that take insurance up here.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jblral
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jblral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised to hear a Californian say that our LLMDs take insurance. Most of the ones I'm aware of do not. (If you have a PPO and can go to any doctor, you can submit the claim yourself to the insurance company for reimbursement--but most folks aren't in that situation.)
Posts: 991 | From California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD in SC charged me 700 for first visit, 350 for subsequent visits.

I'm swithching LLMD's to Dr F in VA. He charges 350-400 for first visit, 140 for subsequent visits.

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All--

My LLMD cost me $16 a minute for phone visit ---

She is worth EVERY Penny --

She Gave me $5000 of Free medicine on my first
visit --
Every doctor needs to be like her ---Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my opinion is that we are sick and need access to adequate healthcare for an illness not of our own making. So far I don't have a lyme-treating doctor because I can't afford them.

And what of those who are really poor and get this disease? Don't they deserve healthcare too? Is it going to come down to who has lots of money and who doesn't? And who still has some money left during the course of this disease? And who gives up because their money is now gone? The ones who lose their lives because they can't afford treatment?

I'm not saying the doctors don't deserve to be paid. They have a profession too. But we the public ARE impacted when many doctors are not accepting insurance. That right there is knocking out a lot of us who do have some insurance. I'm asking what kind of set-up can be established for those who cannot afford to pay the bucks, either because they have no insurance, or their insurance is not being accepted. And we're talking about ill people, many of whom cannot work like they used to.

So what is it? The insurance companies are running the show here? Is that why doctors opt out of taking insurance and half of us can't afford to see a doctor?

Think about it: if we weren't dealing with such politics over this disease, people would normally be able to go to a doctor or a health clinic - yes, there are free county health clinics all over this country for people who have health problems and are uninsured - and get medical attention. Why can't this be set up for this disease, for those who can't afford the big bucks and don't want to be bankrupted by a bacterial infection, plus maybe a few coinfections?

Sorry, but I really think this discussion has not been focusing on the devastating impact of such high fees on those of us who would like to see a lyme-treating doctor and can't afford to go.

Maybe the solution can be a creative one - a huge trust set up for Lyme patients' expenses. I don't know. But I wish we could get collectively creative about the financing of healthcare for us who are sick with these infections and don't have thousands or even hundreds of extra dollars lying around.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
robin, you are right on the money on all your thoughts above!

also, it's not right of llmd OPTS OUT OF MEDICARE it denies YOU THE RIGHT TO FILE W/SECONDARY INSURANCE like bcbs! That's why we pay big $$ monthly. [cussing]

more on this tomorrow; time to wrap it up for night/am! [sleepy]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trish4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trish4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd charged %500 for the first visit and $550 for the blood test. Every appointment after that is $95
Posts: 370 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone. This is definitely not a cheap disease. I wonder about people who don't have money how they get treated for this awful disease?

Lymetoo my daughter is doing farily well although had what could possibly be a small relapse. I continue to still have tons of neuro issues. LLMD said maybe MS.

I'll need to do more research on that hopefully not. I'm slowly addressing heavy metals issues which could be where the neuro symptoms are coming from. Also I belive I have babesia.

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement