LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Doctor Who Injected Lymies with Weed Killer gets Probation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doctor Who Injected Lymies with Weed Killer gets Probation
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But did it work*)!???
25.2008 10:39 AM
Doctor Who Injected Patients with Weed Killer Gets Probation

Bizarre Case of Toxic Pesticide Poisoning
By Brian Clark Howard

In a bizarre case, a Georgia doctor initially charged with injecting patients with commercial-grade weed killer has been sentenced to five years of probation -- but not for that alleged act.

Totada R. Shanthaveerappa, 73, had been treating terminally ill patients at a clinic in Stockbridge, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He had been suspended by the Georgia medical board after being indicted in 2005. In October Shanthaveerappa had pleaded guilty to defrauding insurance companies of $650,000 for submitting false and misleading claims.

When it was time for sentencing, the U.S. District Court Judge gave Shanthaveerappa credit for the 400 days he has already served in home confinement, and granted him a probated sentence, reports the Journal-Constitution. He could have gotten 24 to 30 months in prison.

As to the more disturbing charge of poisoning patients? Shanthaveerappa was accused of illegally injecting patients with Dinitrophenol (DNP), a weed killer and insecticide. The patients were said to suffer from Lyme disease, but apparently authorities could not find evidence that they were actually harmed by the bizarre procedure.

The case is frightening because, obviously, people have a deep need to trust their doctors. But stepping back a moment, it makes one ponder how wise it is to surround ourselves with toxic chemicals to try to solve life's everyday problems. In Europe the idea of green chemistry is very hot, with the goals of working towards products that are truly benign.

Although one wouldn't think it would be necessary, keeping toxic chemicals out of reach of rogues, whether suicide bomber or thrill-seeking teen, meth maker or even disturbed doctor - is almost like keeping conventional cleaning supplies away from a baby. If we create a less toxic world, maybe we'll all be a little safer.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I have to say one thing in his, not defense, but to add to this. We had two guys from our group, first R. then C., 8 years ago, fly back to his clinic in Georgia and they both went into full remission with his 2 week IV treatments, which was IV Rocephin adn IV hydrogen peroxide and IV something else if I remember right (NOT the weed killer, in another article it says Doc S stopped this himself after the 5th patient because it DIDN't work and that was much more recent!!!) But R & C are both in full remission to htis day- (it was expensive though! thousands & thousands!!!)

--------------------
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

p.s. BOTH of them were CLOSE to full remission but not there yet when they went, both were as good as normal but still took maintenance abx- they had been in treatment with Doc S of SF for 2 years previously and were fully functional but not full remission- after his clinic they didn't need the maintenance abx- they were in full remission, tipped them over the edge! I am SURE this is the same guy- there can't be two guys in Georgia who run clinics for Lymies who are South Asian- and that was his name except they called him Dr. Shantha for short if I remember right-

--------------------
-John Ruskin

just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I wonder is where in the world did he ever get the idea to inject weed killer?? That is the real question,,,intent???

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I remember the name. [dr] Wasn't he connected with the treatments called ICHT in Italy also? I think DNP was one of the agents used.

Personally, I wouldn't "go there."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to do a little research to understand WHY injecting this DNP for Lyme might have seemed like a good idea. I ran out of time and didn't find anything. But here's a bit about DNP - I just grabbed one explanation so this may not be the full story....

DNP: Straight Forward Facts on Dinitrophenol (DNP)
( Advanced Drug / Supplement Research & Health Science ) ..

The Good

Want to lose some weight? How about half a pound of fat a day, without dieting or doing cardio? What if the fat loss occurred primarily around your hips and waist? That's what dinitrophenol, or DNP, can do for you. It's for real and it works. But oh, I forgot - it can also kill you.

DNP has been used as a dye, pesticide, explosive, wood preservative and metabolic inhibitor; the latter is an agent that stops the hotly from producing adenosine triphosphate (AlP). The food you eat, your own body fat and muscle can all he broken down, absorbed and converted into ATP. ATP then provides energy for your muscles to perform work. When DNP stunts the body's ability to make ATP, the body compensates by converting more fat into ATP, and voila, you lose weight fast. The reason you lose fat so fast is because your metabolism is increased 1w up to 50% or more. That means if you normally burn 2,000 calories a day, you'll burn 3,001) calories while taking DNP, and most of the fat loss occurs around the hips and abdomen. We aren't even talking about restricting calories or exercising! DNP can also improve certain disorders like hypertension.

The Bad

So if it works so well, why isn't everyone using DNP? To answer that, let's backtrack to World War I. French monitions workers manufactured DNP for use as an explosive From 1916-1918, 36 deaths were attributed to DNP exposure in munitions factories; the workers were absorbing it through their skin and lungs, and levels of this chemical got so high in their bodies that they died. Some of them died from fevers as high as 115 degrees F. Now here's the really freaky stuff, When some of these people were examined, their bode temperatures continued to increase although they were cleat!! Their autopsies revealed that they had almost no body fat.

Well along come the 1930s and some U.S. physicians decide to give DNP a try for weight loss. Their rationale was that since DNP induces such massive fat loss, perhaps in a controlled environment it would he beneficial in treating obesity. It began to grow popular and by 1934 more than 20) wholesale drug firms rnarketed DNP. Its use spread to Canada, Great Britain. France, Sweden, Italy and Austria. Then reports started coming in of side effects edema (swelling), joint stiffness and pain, headaches, dizziness, vomiting, fever, skin lesions and skin rashes. Then, around 1933-l935, death reports started appearing in the Journal of the American Medical Association and other medical journals. The problems were occurring at normal dosages; some people didn't lose weight at those doses and, even worse, others died. DNP was prescribed at dosages of 3-5 mg per 2.2 pounds (1 kg) of bodyweight per day.' At doses up to 10mg per 2.2 pounds of bodyweight per day. metabolism could increase up to 50%. At doses above this (mostly for animal studies), metabolism could increase up to four times. Some people would experience extremely severe allergic reactions from an initial dose; skin eruptions would form and take some time to heal. Others died at the lowest dose prescribed. Toxic or lethal closes in humans vary significantly front person to person. Some can't handle even the lowest dosage, while others may not experience the metabolic effects even at twice the standard dose.

The Ugly

Used in studies to damage cells, including muscle cells, DNP causes alterations in cell structures that can be permanent. Because DNP prevents insulin molecules from attaching to muscle cells, insulin can't do its job if increasing the uptake of amino acids and glucose. If a bodybuilder were to take it to get ripped, for example, an anabolic hormone such as insulin wouldn't be able to stimulate muscle growth. DNP also inhibits production of thyroid hormones and prevents them from working properly in the body. The list goes on and on. As a final example, immune cells lose their ability to "eat" foreign cells and material, increasing susceptibility to disease and impairing most ATP-dependent functions.

DNP also causes hand tremors and profuse sweating, as well as more serious far-reaching effects. After going off DNP, individuals may or may not gain back more fat than before, depending on how screwed up their thyroid hormones are and what they're doing in terms of diet, and exercise. Ten years go by, and why is it getting so dark? The final surprise: Even after years of not using DNP, a number of people get cataracts. What's it going to be? Ripped, less muscle and dead, or a hit more aerobic work and alive? DNP isn't worth the risks. Fortunately, the compound is hard to come by and difficult to make at home. Don't be misled if your buddy tried it and says it worked great for him. He can still get cataracts in the future, and you can still die from using the same dosage.

http://www.fitflex.com/dnpfacts.html

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you look at some of the things that are done by mainstream medicine that don't work, as we keep finding out, seems like there are some pots calling kettles black. And the chemo meds for cancer are hardly benign, not to mention radiation.

Sometimes I wonder if reporters were all born yesterday and mostly incapable of putting anything into context.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efsd25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for efsd25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WELL SAID LOU!!
Posts: 546 | From Cascadia subduction zone | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point Lou. As I was reading Sarah's posts I was thinking, weed killer, come on we know these chemicals have cancer causing agents.

I wouldn't do it. But then when I got to lou's post, it reminded me that I have thought for some time now that I would not, could not, let them use chemo on my body if the big C came up in my body.

Remember sometimes you don't get the real story from the media gang? Dr Jones & his recent circus is a good example.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Well, he actually got in NO TROUBLE for the weed killer stuff, he got in trouble for the way he did his finanical paperwork!!! But no one pressed charges we the weed killer and he wasn't convicted of anything to do with it- but it was so astonishing it got included in the write ups everyhwere- that is my udnerstanding anyway- and I am glad because he did help those guys into full remission where they have both been for over 7 years now!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations to both of them wherever they are!!!

(It cost way more than anyone else in group could afford, forget how much but a lot!! And again, they were both almost 100% already, both were on maintenance abx and R had NO symptoms left unless he went off abx and C almost the same!!!)

--------------------
-John Ruskin

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this was ICHT but I don't think he used DNP but usnic acid.

Actually weedkiller might work on babesia, because babesia has an apicoplast an organelle that is for instance like choloroplasts, in plants. Shares a common ancestor in cyanobacteria. So weedkillers should be tested on babesia if we had the $ for research they might be effective.

I think he used insulin potentiated therapy, hyperbaric, and this other stuff you mention.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

YES OXY- that rings a bell, I know R & C both got IV Rocephin, I think IV Hydrogen peroxide and insulin potentiation as well!!!

--------------------
-John Ruskin

CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

To me it's like Salvorsan or 66 for Syphilis, which was made with Arsenic- or Arsenic for Lyme!!! Yes, it may work, but do you really want to die 20 years later of a horrible, painful liver disease? Nope- not me!

--------------------
-John Ruskin

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just saying we could probably treat babesia which is a very resistant bug with weedkillers that are safe for humans if we had someone to research it. Something to target the apicoplast. I was researching this about 2 years ago when my computer died and all the PDFs I'd sent and so on. I had been on one of those private email lists with well known docs and asked if anybody had considered this and Ritchie Shoemaker said yes he had and actually treated a horse successfully this way.

Nobody is researching it, it is a likely candidate for a good anti babesia drug if you target an ancient organelle like that.

Oh well I just don't have time for all my ideas considering I'm still sick with lyme.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or..... what about using homeopathic versions of some of these drugs or chemicals?

Like the Arsenic or Mercury for Syphilis.... the homeopathic versions of these chemicals can treat Syphilis.

At least some herbs made into low-potency homeopathic remedies retain similar properties to the original herb. Like Echinacea. Or Devil's Claw (Harpagophytum). (I've used both of these on my pets. I even made the remdies myself from the dried herbs - under the advice of an animal homeopath, I might add.)

I know that Robin Murphy (prominent contemporary homeopath) writes about the possibilities using potenized drugs (homeopathic versions) as remedies for treatment of diseases or for toxicity from overuse of drugs, etc.

It is somewhat staggering to consider the implications if this idea worked..... for instance, take one, single dose of Rocephin or Zith or Cipro. A single dose - diluted and potentized just 3 times to a low 3C potency - would turn 1 dose of the abx into nearly one MILLION doses of the same drug.

What if we could spray crops with a mere fraction of the standard application of some common pesticide and get the same results without toxic effects?

The drug and chemical companies would go completely crazy, just for starters. No way will they ever encourage research into this.

It's probably not quite that simple, but it sure would be nice to find out. [Smile]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pingpong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pingpong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for extended discussion on DNP(dinitrophenol), search archives of this site, c. 1999-2001

--------------------
pingpong

Posts: 361 | From At the Pingpong Tournament | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement