LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme in Oklahoma?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme in Oklahoma?
Bobidor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobidor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know someone from Oklahoma who is showing many symptoms of the Lyme Disease.

But her GP told her there was no Lyme in Oklahoma.

Is that true?

Julie

Posts: 209 | From Montreal, QC, CAN | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO!

I've had Lyme for over 40 years and I got it as a child, probably in OK, since that's where I lived at the time. I camped, played outside all the time, etc., so it's highly probable that's where I picked it up.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME*)!*)!*!
!*!)*!*)!*!)*!)*!)*!)*)!!!

There is definitely Lyme in Oklahoma!! It's next to Pennsylvania for goshs sakes*)!!! There are 13 citations on PubMed for Oklahoma & borreliosis and one survey of dogs as sentiinels for human disease showed 18% of dogs had Bb- Lyme disease!!! That is high!!!

Best wishes,
Sarah

1: J Vet Diagn Invest. 1989 Apr;1(2):154-9. Links

A serological survey of Ehrlichia canis,
Ehrlichia equi, Rickettsia rickettsii, and Borrelia burgdorferi in dogs in Oklahoma.

Rodgers SJ, Morton RJ, Baldwin CA.
Oklahoma Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater 74078.

Serum samples from 259 dogs were tested for antibodies to Ehrlichia canis, Ehrlichia equi, Rickettsia rickettsii, and Borrelia burgdorferi using the indirect fluorescent antibody test. The sera were obtained from submissions to the Oklahoma Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory during a 14-month period from June 1986 through July 1987. The rate for positive antibody titers to E. canis was 53%, to E. equi was 33%, to R. rickettsii was 38%, and to

B. burgdorferi was 18%.

Higher percentages of sera serologically positive to E. canis were found in the spring through the fall months, but there were no seasonal variations for E. equi, R. rickettsii, and B. burgdorferi. There was no consistent pattern of titers to the 4 antigens when age-groups of the dogs were compared. Forty-four different breeds were tested.

PMID: 2518693

Items 1 - 13 of 13One page.
1: Related Articles, LinksGrau RH, Allen PS, Cornelison RL Jr.

Erythema migrans and the differential diagnosis of annular erythema.
J Okla State Med Assoc. 2002 Apr;95(4):257-60.
PMID: 11957843 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]2: Related Articles, LinksMoody EK, Barker RW, White JL, Crutcher JM.

Ticks and tick-borne diseases in Oklahoma.
J Okla State Med Assoc. 1998 Nov;91(8):438-45. Review.
PMID: 9828526 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]3: Related Articles, LinksMount GA, Haile DG, Daniels E.

Simulation of blacklegged tick (Acari:Ixodidae) population dynamics and transmission of Borrelia burgdorferi.
J Med Entomol. 1997 Jul;34(4):461-84.
PMID: 9220682 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]4: Related Articles, LinksOliver JH Jr.

Lyme borreliosis in the southern United States: a review.
J Parasitol. 1996 Dec;82(6):926-35. Review.
PMID: 8973401 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]5: Related Articles, Links[No authors listed]

Tick-borne illness increasing in Oklahoma.
J Okla State Med Assoc. 1996 Jan;89(1):30. No abstract available.
PMID: 8720556 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]6: Related Articles, LinksGe N, Murphy GL, Kocan AA.

Detection of Borrelia burgdorferi in tissues of experimentally infected Peromyscus leucopus by the polymerase chain reaction.
SAAS Bull Biochem Biotechnol. 1993;6:8-15.
PMID: 7763705 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]7: Related Articles, LinksLawrence CH, Botchlet R, Silberg SL, Flournoy DJ, Guthrie PJ.

Prevalence of Lyme disease infection in Oklahoma.
J Natl Med Assoc. 1992 Sep;84(9):803-4.
PMID: 1404480 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]8: Related Articles, LinksKocan AA, Mukolwe SW, Murphy GL, Barker RW, Kocan KM.

Isolation of Borrelia burgdorferi (Spirochaetales: Spirochaetaceae) from Ixodes scapularis and Dermacentor albipictus ticks (Acari: Ixodidae) in Oklahoma.
J Med Entomol. 1992 Jul;29(4):630-3.
PMID: 1495072 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]9: Related Articles, LinksMukolwe SW, Kocan AA, Wyckoff JH 3rd.

Serological survey for Lyme disease in domestic dogs and white-tailed deer from Oklahoma.
Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1992 Jun 16;653:172-7.
PMID: 1626867 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]10: Related Articles, LinksMukolwe SW, Kocan AA, Barker RW, Murphy GL.

Isolation of Borrelia burgdorferi from Peromyscus leucopus in Oklahoma.
J Wildl Dis. 1992 Apr;28(2):281-3.
PMID: 1602581 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]11: Related Articles, LinksReiner KL, Huycke MM, McNabb SJ.

The descriptive epidemiology of Lyme disease in Oklahoma.
J Okla State Med Assoc. 1991 Oct;84(10):503-9.
PMID: 1744781 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]12: Related Articles, LinksMcNabb SJ, Huycke MM, Reiner KL.

Lyme disease now reportable in Oklahoma, letter reminds MDs.
J Okla State Med Assoc. 1991 Mar;84(3):126. No abstract available.
PMID: 2030464 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]13: Related Articles, LinksRodgers SJ, Morton RJ, Baldwin CA.

A serological survey of Ehrlichia canis, Ehrlichia equi, Rickettsia rickettsii, and Borrelia burgdorferi in dogs in Oklahoma.
J Vet Diagn Invest. 1989 Apr;1(2):154-9.
PMID: 2518693 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOOKS like we need to start another fund raiser here,,,to buy Sarah a USA map!!(REAL BIG WIDE SMILE)

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tons of it in OK....The doctors are clueless like they are everywhere else!

Can't find my map of states where Lyme is found to show you...but it's in every state. People travel, pets travel, animals travel, ticks travel.

One of the best Lyme drs in the US is right next door in Missouri. Holler at me if you need the name.

When to Suspect Lyme Disease
http://tinyurl.com/lx2pz

More info:
http://www.ILADS.org/

Wild Condor's Links and information:
http://www.wildcondor.com/lymelinks.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way,,,to the original poster,,,you HAVE lone star ticks there ,,,I KNOW you do we have them HERE and its alot further north!!

besides WHY do we have so many posters so recently here,,,from Kansas AND Oklahoma!!(IF there is NO lyme there)

They (medical establishmnet)wouldnt know lyme if it hit them in the face,,,load up your buggy and point it east to the best LLMD in the whole midwest,,,then you will KNOW for sure!!!

PM me IF you need better directions!!OOPS,just reread post Get your FRIEND to a real deal LLMD asap!!!remaining--just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cdc.gov/MMWR/preview/mmwrhtml/ss4903a1.htm

scroll down

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no state in the US without a CDC reported

Case of Lyme....and those are just the CDC numbers. [shake]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aim your friend northeast and you'll find a great LLMD, whom Lymetoo may have already told you about. It's the one Don is alluding to.

As for Sarah, she has a big heart, but obviously geography is not her strongest area! [bonk]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Information re: Oklahoma...

http://lymememorial.org/State_Stats/State_Statistics_Oklahoma.htm

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soonermom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soonermom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Julie,

It looks like I live right next to the only county in oklahoma that is in the top 10% of counties in US reporting lyme disease. It was my Neurologist that said there is no Lyme in OK, but it is because he thinks I have MS and has tunnel vision. He wasn't even going to write an order for the western blot but I guess I got my way on that one. Of course his parting comments were, don't be surprised if it comes back with a false positive result, that happens all the time.

We live on acreage, have every kind of wild animal including deer come right up to our house. I have been bit by numerous deer ticks (tiny things) over the past few years.

Thanks for all your info! I should get some results soon.

Stacey
Stacey

--------------------
3/08 CDC Positive
IgM 18++ 23-25IND 31++++ 34++ 39+ 41+++ 58+ 83-93+

CDC Negative
IgG 31IND 39IND 41+++ 58+ 66+

Posts: 274 | From oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just Don said..

"LOOKS like we need to start another fund raiser here,,,to buy Sarah a USA map!!(REAL BIG WIDE SMILE)"

Thank goodness someone else said it. That sure threw me for a loop. HA!

[Big Grin]

To note... OK had no reported cases in 2007. Doesn't mean it ain't there... it just means the docs aren't looking for it and aren't finding it... and/or the tests aren't picking it up cause it might be STARI- the OTHER Lyme disease.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by soonermom:
Of course his parting comments were, don't be surprised if it comes back with a false positive result, that happens all the time.

Doctors are nuts these days!! So you're Julie's friend? You're so lucky to have her as your friend!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tincup sent this to me today, so I'll post this here; she had posted elsewhere on lymenet; not sure!

LYME STATISTICS BY STATE FROM 1980 - JAN. 18, 2008

Once again Pennsylvania and Maryland are topping the list with the most reported cases of Lyme disease so far this year, with California coming in third. And it's still JANUARY!

In mid-December 2007, the Maryland DHMH reported to legislators that they had over 1,000 new cases they hadn't completed or counted. However, the total for Maryland in 2007 did NOT reflect those extra 1,000 cases. Where did they go?

13 states have already reported cases this year... in JANUARY.... and many are cold weather states.

Colorado, which usually only reports a couple of cases per year, if any, already has one on record.

DC dropped from 62 to 13 cases in one year 06-07. Was one of the 13 cases President Bush's case?

Connecticut dropped again (2006-07)- no doubt due to their new fangled, high dollar reporting system that still isn't working properly.

Florida already has several cases reported so far this year, which is unusual.

Guam, Puerto Rico, South Dakota and Oklahoma were the only ones reporting NO CASES LAST YEAR.

Since reporting began in 1980 we have increased from 120 cases a year to over 20,000 cases per year, nationwide. These figures represent ONLY the reported cases.

According to the CDC, for a more accurate figure multiple the numbers by 10. That will provide you with the CDC 10-fold assessment totals and will show what they believe to be closer to the actual number of cases occurring.

And note: 75-90 percent of people with Lyme are being missed using the current standard tests, according to Hopkins and ILADS studies.

These people have little chance of ever being counted, much less diagnosed and/or treated properly, which can result in hundreds of thousands developing late stage Lyme and possibly becoming disabled or worse in the next few years.

To see your states figures....

http://www.lyme.org/resources/1980-cumulative.htm

Betty note: I tried printing out the chart, but it goes SIDEWAYS, and tried printing in pages 1, 2, 3; it kept printing page 1 only! So just a warning if others try to do this; use your PRINT REVIEW FIRST which I did, and indicated DIFFERENT pages, but still got page 1 only! I gave up after 8 tries! uffda [Smile] [rant]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there's Lyme everywhere. Its pandemic.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbourne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbourne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It shows no reported cases of Lyme in Oklahoma during the year 2005. I was bit and diagnosed with Lyme in Tulsa, OK that year. How do I get my case counted, why wasn't it counted to begin with?
Posts: 183 | From Texas | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops- are you serious? Geography IS my worst subject!! But I thought I knew THAT!!! SORRY!!
Didn't mean to confuse anyone!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mushroomman06
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mushroomman06     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LYME is everywhere!
Posts: 108 | From maryland | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GP's always say that stuff. They've told other people it's not in NY, etc., when NY is like one of the highest states to have it.

I got my Lyme disease in KS, South Central area, which isn't too far from the OK border.

People can get Lyme in any state.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I live in this crappy state and have some insight into the situation, I thought I'd post a few comments.

First, I have been told by an Oklahoma State University tick researcher that roughly 2 to 3 percent of lone star ticks in my area are found to carry Bb {Bb s.s.}. This is likely due to them picking up infected blood from mammals in the environment incidentally. She refused however to answer my queries on deer tick carrier status, probably because she was planning on publishing.

The actual Bb cycle is being propagated apparently by the same cycle as in the northeast, deer, deer ticks, and small mammals. Oklahoma has more than 700,000 deer and plenty of ticks, mice, etc. so the ingredients are all here. However the deer ticks here are active in fall and winter as opposed to summer cycle which is seen in northeast. Also, we have oodles of lizards and the deer ticks bite these lizards frequently. Lizard serum tends to be borreliacidal and knocks out the infection in ticks which bite lizards. For these reasons the deer tick infection rate is substantially lower than that seen in the northeast.

However that being said, there is a risk of lyme disease. There are definitely ticks, both deer ticks and larger hard ticks, which are carrying the infection. The disease cycle is being maintained in the wild, otherwise they wouldn't find the bacteria in the ticks. Oklahoma does have lyme disease without question. I've met several patients including patients who had severe late neurolyme who had to travel out of state as far as NY and Cali to get proper treatment.

The Oklahoma state health department has not been willing to accept the obvious evidence. The leadership at this level has been very bigoted and ignorant and has refused to acknowledge that lyme disease is a risk here despite overwhelming scientific and clinical evidence, including statistics provided by the CDC and US miltary which clearly show that there is lyme in the state. So what we have is people getting lyme disease and the state simply refusing to acknowledge it is real even though people have positive blots, spects, nerve symptoms, even em rashes. It is really an outrageous situation.

Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

ONE vector are deer ticks. YOU can blame the deer all you like,they proably HAVE a role in this.

BUT you better look WAAAAAAAAY lower for the real carrier,,, number one host,,,the white footed mouse.(AND other mice I suspect)

Whos to say raccoons and oppossums and other such animals arent a meal source also!! Doubt those nymph ticks would pass on ANY blood meal to survive!!

Even rabbits and cats!! PLUS deer ticks(OR anything else) dont go by state lines and boundaries like the doctor and health field THINKS they do.

Ever see a migrating goose take a u-turn around a town?? county?? OR state?? Didnt THINK so!!

IF you have roaming pets and kids,,,or even adults,,,get out the sprayer and spray those ticks and there premises with Tempo,,,made from gerraniums. Yup it works--just don--

--------------------
just don

kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the past 25 years, I have traveled to and fro to Oklahoma to visit in-laws.

Once, we took our doberman back there, and the yard hadn't been sprayed. Our dog was covered with HUNDREDS of ticks. We sprayed him (as it was night) and had him sleep in the garage. In the morning, there was a ring of dead ticks around him, but still more.

So, we took him to the vet and had them dip him and remove the ticks. There was just too many.

He only lived to be seven years old and had numerous health problems. I'm sure, back in the 80's no one ever thought to check for anything but RMSF.

Since everyone in our family are AZ natives, and my husband is a transplanted Okie, we believe that we were infected in Oklahoma. Most likely by mosquitoes, since we have never seen ticks on our bodies.

We've had mosquito bites aplenty in that fair State. Holy Moly.

Wish we could prove it for you...but none of us have ever had a bullseye rash.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the population of deer ticks is largely dependent on the deer population. the adult stage of the tick, which is responsible for reproduction, usually parasitizes deer.

this has been demonstrated repeatedly scientifically.

the Bb cycle in nature is complicated. The disease itself is maintained in wild by infection of small mammals, ie, mice. deer do not get Bb infection. remember the deer tick has a 3 stage life cycle and different stages bite different types of animals.

Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement