LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Morning panic/adrenaline

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Morning panic/adrenaline
chicago_bird
Member # 9301

Icon 5 posted      Profile for chicago_bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is something I've been wondering about...

Does anyone else experience the sensation of rushing adrenaline and panic every morning? It starts as soon as I wake up and does not fade for several hours. I feel like my whole body is a clenched fist.

It happens when I wake up naturally on my own, or to an alarm clock.

Has been happening for several years, whether I am on abx or not, so I don't see any connection with a certain treatment protocol.

Does anyone else have this feeling every morning? And what can be done about it?

Thanks!

Posts: 69 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
webmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for webmeg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like anxiety. I get this - got bad this summer so I started on Zoloft which helped a lot. Mornings are the hardest.

I've since treated my Lyme for 6+ months now (I believe Lyme caused my anxiety). I'm in the process of weaning of Zoloft.

Once in a while I wake up feeling that "clench" but it's much milder now.

It's awful to feel anxious for no reason.

You might ask your doctor for Ativan - take one right at bedtime. Maybe it will help calm you so you'll wake up less anxious in the morning.

Or try something like Zoloft for a few months and see if it improves.

~webmeg

Posts: 257 | From Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had your adrenals tested? Sounds like you have high cortisol levels in the morning.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ICEiam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ICEiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anxiety is one of the symptoms I hear of lots. I used to have Anxiety attacks, but mine was from a chemical disorder. Gone now, thank GOD!

It was the worst thing ever. I would get something until you get your bacteria load down. My Daughter has Babs and she says it is what causes her anxiety.

I think it all causes it! Ask your LLMD for something to control it, it sure makes life a bit easier if you don't have the anxiety along with everything else you have to deal with.

Just my opinion..............do what you have to do.

Hugs,

--------------------
ICEY

Posts: 468 | From Las Vegas NV | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree about having your adrenals checked, but sometimes what sets off an over reaction of the adrenals is hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) Do you eat breakfast? If not, start doing so, and see if that helps. Also, a small well-balanced snack before bed time may help. Also try increasing your B complex dosage.

I had the same problem you describe in the evenings for years and recently it switched to mornings. It turned out my morning cortisol had gone back to normal for the first time since being ill. I still have chills every evening between 7-9 PM, but am no longer hyped up along with the chills.

It would not hurt to check your blood pressure as well. Mine was soaring during these episodes and I am now on medication for it to prevent a stroke.

For me the solution to the hyped feeling was a gram of L-tryptophan at bed time and another gram of it at 3 am, but I know I am deficient in serotonin, and you may not be. We are all different, and it may take some investigation to figure out what is causing your problem.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thought I'd share my own personal experience. I occasionally experience what you describe. I also have diagnosed Hypoadrenia (adrenal exhaustion). I've been told by my treating doctors that the panic, rushing feelings and even tachycardia can be attributed to my adrenal exhaustion. My adrenal glands simply don't produce enough cortisol -- I have a cortisol deficiency.

Since getting my bartonella infection diagnosed, I've also attributed those symptoms to bart as well. Again, that's just my own assumption based on reading about bart symptoms.

As to what can be done about this symptom . . . I'm still trying to figure it all out myself.

As to the hypoglycemia suggestion, I just thought I'd share that adrenal exhaustion can also cause hypoglycemia-type symptoms. When the adrenals aren't able to produce all the hormones necessary, one's regulation and metabolism with sugars can be effected. I've had doctors recommend to me to take a protein snack before bedtime (i.e., something like a protein meal replacement drink) to help carry the body through the fasting time while sleeping.

Hope this helps.

Fuzzy

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I had this for 6 months last year until we got bartonella under control...for me, it seems to be related to this TBD.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cortisol levels were waaay high in the morning-I take Seriphos before bed, and eat a protein snack.
Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peacesoul
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anxiety and depression is always predominate in the mornings.
I get my worse anxiety when I wake up. Heart racing etc.

My ND explained to me that our toxic load is highest when we wake up. Toxins keep the body off balance.
Since I've been doing some good detox, it's less in the mornings.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you who had their adrenals tested...what type of doctor ordered the tests? My LLMD said she doesn't know mcuh about this and that I should see a

alternative/complimentary doctor for this. (I did this in the past-he ordered a saliva test which showed something off w/the cortisol/DHEA

ratio, which is suggestive of hypoglycemia-which I have). Anyway, my levels were in the range, but I'm wondering if I should have seen an

endocrinologist instead. Alot of my symptoms are suggestive of adrenal exhaustion and I would like to try low dose cortisol. I also feel that

I am borderline hypothyroid, although my blood tests are normal (morning temperature is 97.6). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this sensation for probably about 8 months.

It came and went through Lyme, baronella and babesia treatment.

I felt like I was always late for something.

Have to rush to go......rush to do things.....Couldn't settle down.

It wasn't my adrenals at the time. Not sure which infection or all,

But I rarely have this symptom anymore.

I am hypothyroid too.

Hang in there.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I DREAD the mornings. Since starting treatment for my Bart, I've sobbed uncontrollably every morning for almost 3 mos.

Nothing in particular will set it off...I just feel this intangible anxiety, then I get scared, then I start to hysterically cry.

It lasted almost 3 hours this morning...it's exhausting, absolutely exhausting.

After 5pm, I'm a totally different person: calm, hopeful, optimistic, etc.

It's so bizarre and scary. At least, NOW, I know it will pass...yet it will be back. I guess I'll know I'm better when it doesn't come back.

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
amk33, my conventional internal medicine doctor was the first of my physicians to test for adrenal exhaustion. He did blood tests and also the adrenal saliva stress tests. Evidently the saliva tests are the Gold Standard for testing adrenal function.

My results came back looking like a near flat line on the graph. Low, low, cortisol and also low DHEA. I'm having to supplement with both now.

My holistic gynecologist also has retested my adrenal function at yearly check ups. So I have two docs keeping an eye out on the condition.

If your LLMD is not comfortable dealing with it then by all means, seek out someone who can help you with it. You could try contacting a compounding pharmacy in your area and ask if they could recommend any physicians in your area that deal with hormone balancing such as adrenal and thyroid. Lots of times those compounding pharmacies can have good recommendations.

Clarissa, I've experienced those same symptoms with Bart treatment. It's terrifying, isn't it?

Fuzzy

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FuzzySlippers,

It IS terrifying. The other day it was so bad I didn't think I'd live through it. I started thinking about who I'd leave my IRA money to.

The darkness and despair is inexplicable. It's like living in a horror film.

I believe it's a Bart herx because I don't remember this level of morning anxiety with my Lyme treatment 5 years ago.

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

FuzzySlippers:

PS> Thanks for the tips about cortisol levels and protein drinks b4 sleeping. Good tips and ideas!

I will discuss with my LLMD because I'm growing weak from these daily morning "episodes."

Gratefully,

Clarissa

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been waking up with major anxiety, mostly just the past couple of months. I think this is my bart symptoms coming back. It's a really new thing for me. I'll have paranoid, racing thoughts about the dumbest things.

One thing that also occurred to me was that perhaps my antibiotic levels are dipping then, as I don't space my amoxicillin doses exactly 8 hours apart since I sleep more than 8 hours. Other than that, I have nothing helpful to say except that I have this symptom too!

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly5907
Member # 13734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly5907     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its bart... Once you get the bart under control it will go away.. i went through it for almost a year every morning..
Posts: 28 | From Long Island | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Kelly: Thanks for the validation...I had a strong feeling that it was Bart because I just do not remember this happening when treating my Lyme 5-years ago.

This Bart is a real nightmare, huh?

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

Peacesoul
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarissa:
[Q] I DREAD the mornings. Since starting treatment for my Bart, I've sobbed uncontrollably every morning for almost 3 mos.

Nothing in particular will set it off...I just feel this intangible anxiety, then I get scared, then I start to hysterically cry.

It lasted almost 3 hours this morning...it's exhausting, absolutely exhausting.

After 5pm, I'm a totally different person: calm, hopeful, optimistic, etc.

It's so bizarre and scary. At least, NOW, I know it will pass...yet it will be back. I guess I'll know I'm better when it doesn't come back. [/Q]

I am EXACLTY the same, minus the crying.
But my mornings are hell and by 4-5 PM, I am a diff person as well.
Weird huh!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Fuzzy (cute name [Smile] ). I will see if there is a compounding pharmacy near me to ask. I just took my temperature for the fun of it and

it is 97.6. It's always low. I just know there is some sort of Throid/adrenal/encocrine thing going on. Hopefully I can find some evidence of this!

Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Update: The past two mornings, I woke up around 3-4am togo to the bathroom. I randomnly decided to take my probiotics at that time so I wouldn't have to deal with the morning probiotic-breakfast-antibiotic 2-hour-buffer.

BOTH mornings (when I officially woke up around 8:30am-9:00) were NON-crying mornings and I didn't have that hysterical/anxious feeling.

The only changed variable was taking my probiotics at that weird time.

Who the heck knows? Just thought I'd throw it out there because it was SUCH a relief to have a 2 day respite from that morning horror.

Keep you posted as I pretty much always get up early am togo to bathroom...will keep up the routine to see if the pattern sticks.

It's all just TOO weird.

Clarissa

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clarissa! you sound EXACTLY like me...that is EXACTLY what would happen to me....my family was like, who are you??? you are a jekyll and hyde!

it has gotten SO MUCH BETTER since I got underway with bart treatment and added a half-dose of Lexapro (probably don't even need this anymore). BART SUCKS!!

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Yes, this morning hell MUST be Bart...we're all having this in common.

I'm so glad others can relate because sometimes I feel certifiably c-r-a-z-y. It's like an emotional rollercoaster within hours, within the same day.

I avoid talking to friends anytime before 3pm because I sense an intervention would take place. [cussing]

It's truly unbelievable!!

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

Radha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i also have terrible anxiety and nervousness but the mornings are the worst, so tense, too many racing thoughts, feel so rushed when no reason to feel that way, its nice to know i am not the only one! i know i have lyme and babs, but not sure about bart, i hope we all get some relief!
Radha

Posts: 392 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement