LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone dealt with a bartonella relapse?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone dealt with a bartonella relapse?
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We hear a lot about babesia and Lyme relapses. Has anyone dealt with a bartonella relapse?

The reason I ask is that Dr JS's book talks about having to treat bartonella three times before it's really gone.

Thoughts?

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi CD57,

I wouldn't doubt it. I've been in treatment since 2004 and since Dec. 2006 been struggling with Bart.

Personally I think my relapses are due to the fact that I've never been treated long enough, everything is pulsed and soon as I show improvement orals are tapered off.

I've relapsed many, many times.

So I'm looking at Dr. J. S. also.

Was treated in 2007 for 5 months on Lev/Septra/Tindamax combo that didn't work for me.

That's all I've had for Bart. Now am on a Cipro/Biaxin/Flagyl combo.

But it's still pulsed. So will see.

From those that have pm'd me and recovered from Bart their treatment was very different than mine.

Not pulsed and alot longer.

Hope this helps.

[Smile]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6168 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a patient of Dr JS. I first tackled Babesia with Zith and Mepron, became Babesia-free, then tackled Bart and Lyme with high doses of Olive Leaf extract. (The olive leaf extract was an experimental treatment that I'm not sure he has written about yet.)

I had a Fry test, and Bart is gone! Dr. S explained though that often Bart is driven deep into the tissues with treatment, and tests will show it is gone, but after a while it is released from the tissues and has to be tackled again.

It has been about 5 months and I will be getting another Fry test soon to see if Bart has come back. Dr. S also explained to me that Bart is known to come back after stressors.

I have to move to another state and Dr. S. was advising me not to for a few months, because I will very likely relapse with Bart since moving apparently is a huge relapse factor for it.

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skigal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^
Posts: 269 | From VA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also curious about the olive leaf extract. I haven't seen it anywhere. I've only seen olive leaf, etc.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait--so he proved that in all cases it must be treated thrice?

Well--technically I am on round 3. Can't say I ever got

asymptomatic, though.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. S has published 3 cases and he told me about them on the phone, but those 3 cases were people with severe psychiatric problems that might accompany bart. Not all people have those problems, though, so maybe not all people need to be treated 3 times. Who knows? Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8931 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, those may be the ones he profiled in his article "Ignore Bartonella And Die" (scary).

My LLMD told me to take olive extract as well, but it was for viruses. He wanted me on the Seagate brand, 6 capsules/day. I switched it out for Buhner's resveratrol.

And no, Adam, I don't think anything's been "proven". I think Dr JS is basing some of those premises based on what he has seen. Part of the problem with this disease. For those of us infected with BLO vs the strains of bart they can test for, we're shooting in the dark, right? And BLOs may be similar to brusicella or mycoplasmas rather than straight up bacteria, which may make them harder to kill.

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is dr. JS in fla?
Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Yep
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which book by Dr JS are you talking about? Has he finally published his Bart book?

Hubby took olive leaf extract for probably 4 - 6 months several years ago -- he took 2 capsules with lunch and 2 capsules with supper. For him it cleared up antibiotic induced diarrhea. Not sure if it really did anything for Bart or not.

Hubby and I have a really hard time separating out his Bart and Babs symptoms.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I know a few people that have had to treat Bart several times as they relapsed, but make good progress again when starting meds.

I assume its because when you stop the bart meds it breaks out of the tissues and bone marrow as it thinks its safe so you have to keep zapping it, I also assume it gets less with every treatment round.

Did you LLMD advise you to take trental with your levaquin for further drug penetration??

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HamDune
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HamDune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GenaD,

Can you share more with us about your experiences? When you say "Babesia-Free" or "Bartonella-Free" did you improve symptomatically at all?

Please give us all the information you can as this is very encouraging and worth looking into. I don't know about others, but speaking for myself, I would much rather use herbal alternatives than highly-toxic antibiotics.

Thanks.

Posts: 85 | From Texas | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Olive leaf is used by many LLMD's and Complmentary Therapists, it is known as the stongest natural antibiotic available and is used for Bacteria/Virus's & viral co-infections.

Dr S is not alone in using this for Lyme and Bart as many studies have been done on Olive Leaf and Grapefruit Seed Extract (which is a very strong alternative to Flagyl/tinidazole as a cyst buster). I beleive the trials were run by Brorson and Brorson (2 of the best lyme researchers in sweden)

http://www.springerlink.com/content/f203647324701025/

Again Olive leaf is used as normal practice by my LLMD and also I have known many other doctors use this. As is many of the other antimicrosomals available at Nutramedix Cumanda/Samento etc. So there are many alternative or complementary treatments to antibiotics.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I used the olive leaf extract I used it alone. Dr. S had me work up to tolerance, which for me meant 15 capsules, 500 mg--I took 5 at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I did this for 3 weeks without any other meds. Then I was tested and there were no organisms. Dr. S said however that at first it can appear that there are no organisms, but if I was tested again, sometimes there can be some Bartonella, as I guess it gets pushed deep into the tissues with treatment and then can resurface again??

I am currently awaiting recent lab work to see if I have relapsed. I have also been under a lot of stress recently, and Bartonella is apparently known to come back with stress.

I am currently on minocycline and flagy and Dr. S did say that if I felt adventurous I could also add olive leaf into that mix--but mino kicks my butt hard enough!

As for how I felt when Bart free, I believe I had less anxiety and depression. I feel now i may have relapsed, but I don't know if the Bart is back or if I'm reacting to all the stress I've been under for the last few months.

For me when Babesia was gone I noticed improvement. I had air hunger and dizziness a lot to where I nearly passed out a few times, so when Babesia was gone I felt I had more endurance.

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gena,

Does Dr JS rely primarily on the Fry Lab bloodslides to determine whether Bart and Babs are gone? Also, how long did you wait after treatment before retesting?

Asking because hubby's LLMD did not believe that a negative bloodslide from Fry after Babs treatment was conclusive. Think the LLMD was right -- treatment with Alinia and Artemesinin has brought back Babs symptoms.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

I don't think JS relies just on Fry, but right now I can't think of what else he uses.

I waited about 3 months before being retested.

Honestly, I just "feel" Bart is back. I will let you guys know...

--------------------
--Margaret Mead

Alv
Unregistered

how much is the fry lab work -to check for bart or babs ?
HamDune
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HamDune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alv:
how much is the fry lab work -to check for bart or babs ?

You'll have to discuss the specifics with your LLMD, but mine (as well as most others I've seen posted on here) was $495 for the complete panel.

Here is there web page as well. Hope that helps.

Posts: 85 | From Texas | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

I dought olive leaf is any dif then extract, personally for me, I took both at once, but in capsule form, and I did get stinging pains, and I hear thats from bart die. Oh yeah dr S also says now to take ZHANGS HH caps for bart.
tailz
Unregistered

GenaD, most likely moving is a factor in relapses because a person's exposure to the electromagnetic and microwave fields from area cell phone towers changes.

I became increasingly ill following a move.

Mobile Phone Emissions Increase Worm Fertility:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1889-mobile-phone-emissions-increase-worm-fertility.html

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm..

interesting about the work in europe, particularly that brorson and brorson actually published on grapefruit extract.

have they published also on olive leaf?

mo

--------------------
life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage
-- anais nin

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is burning skin a symptom of bartonella die off? It had subsided for awhile, but now has come back with banderol use. I don't know if it's herx of just a flare of the infection.

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I substituted cumanda for the banderol, my burning symptoms came back. I'm back on the cumanda and hopefully it will settle down. I hear Dr. S recommends cumanda as a moderate bart killing herb. Maybe, I'll add the olive leaf, too.

My LLMD Dr. C says the burning skin is a result of toxin die off and can be from any of the infections.

What is the title of Dr. S's book soon to be released?

Thanks,
CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement