LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pure Cholestyramine???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pure Cholestyramine???
lymeHerx001
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got prescribed some Cholestyramine to help rid myself of toxins.

I got it and opened it and found that it has sugar. I didnt think it would be a problem because I thought there wasnt much in there but after I take it my skin does burn.

Do any pharmacies carry pure Cholestyramine? I know I wont mind the taste. I have tasted many a bitter pill and herb in my life.

I think it stinks that I cant get it without sucrose or aspartame.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way my LLMD said there was something about sachets? Like little packets.

Do these have sugar in them too? What about the aspartame, does it really have that much. And does the cholestyramine bind the aspartame too?

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cholestyramine (made by Sandoz/Eon labs) come in single serving packets. They each contain 4 grams of sucrose.

I would NOT go the aspartame or nutrasweet route. Your only option is contacting some type of compounding company who could mix it with Stevia or Xylitol.

Do a search on the board for Cholestyramine because I remember one member doing just that.

However, I'm a very yeastie person and the sugar has not hurt my candida. Your burning skin is most likely you ridding the toxins because you DO herx on this stuff.

I stay on the anti-candida diet, take Primal Defense, Natren Healthy Trinity, Florastor and Nystatin so I can't imagine 4-12 grams of sugar a day causing Candida.

Good luck!
Clarissa

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I will PM you the name of a drug store in MA. where I got plain ch..

It's not cheap, but it's totally free of additives.

Seems a crime for the drug companies to adulterate products, charge a ton, but cover with insurance - but many people can't use because of the harmful additives.

True, avoid the aspartame/nutrasweet version at all costs. You don't want even a trace amount of that. Not even a trace. It is an excitatory neurotoxin and even a trace can set off a cascade.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Thanks Keebler and to Clarissa... Im still trying to figure out why my feet burn and I feel terrible after even a little sugar.

When talking about Actos (diabetees drug) and why its prescibed for herxing my LLMD told me that even insulin activates some cytokines. Maybee this is whats going on? When my insulin goes up it activates cytokines and this in turn leads to inflamation.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

As for the Actos, Dr. S's book details that.

It is a drug to help control blood glucose and that's pretty entailed.

I took it after seeing him a few years ago, but I got very dizzy . . . his office said no one ever had that reaction to it other than myself.

I do feel that the Actos really stopped the herx in the body pain part, anyway. Amazing. Simply amazing in that aspect. Still, I just could not take it due to dizziness.

It's not meant for long term use, and I'm not totally comfortable about it, but I went a different direction and have not read about it for a couple years.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soleilpie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soleilpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A compounding pharmacy should be able to give you just plain cholestyramine powder w/out any sugar or flavoring if you request it.

--------------------
The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back.
-Abigail van Buren (Pauline Esther Friedman) (1918-2002)

Posts: 409 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you been diagnosed with Bart? A lot of Bart patients have problems with the soles of their feet.

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

No I have not tested + for bart. But he tested me about 4 times. All neg.

The biaxin does take away the pain though. He says at this point its not lyme

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

It might be mycoplasma and yeast combined.

When I take anti-funglas or even doxy the herx gets too much. When it clears I feel better but when its there I am suicidal.

Being suicidal and feeling better are opposites.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

UPDATE:

I took the Orango cholestryramine powder back to the pharmacy and told me that the sugar gives me neuropathy. I asked if they had pure CSM or light.

The pharacist swapped out a light version for me with aspartame. Yes aspartame!!!!

Whats funny is the sugar gives me neuropathy but aspartame doesnt. Even though I generally always stay away from it, I decided to give it a try because.

A) Im desperate.
B) I have never had anything as severe as neuropathy on aspartame
C) I think the neurotoxins are far more potent then the aspartame because of how they make me feel
D) I think that since CSM is a binding agent its possible that it might absorb some of the aspartame in the dose.

Ill let everyone know for future referecnce how it turns out.

Im not looking for a miracle but anything would help.

By the way I had some mac and cheese that my mother made tonight and now my feet are burning bloody H3LL

charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why in the heck do they have to make everything taste sweet??

If you can get pure unsweetened CSM you can put it in tomato juice and it'll go right down without tasting at all.

Also an alternative is Welchol which is CSM in pill form.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Ok so last night I got the stuff with aspartame and took it. About 10 minutes later I felt jitter and got a slight headache.

I thought nothing of it.

Today after I took some I got jitter, nervous, anxious, my heart started beating fast and I got a headache.

I guess it looks like its the aspartame.

Whats funny is diet coke always made me a bit crazy. Now I know why. Its the aspartame. Its a stimulant. Sometimes I like it. But today I defenitelly did not. I want to feel peace!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement