LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Any experiences with HealthNet before I decide on going with them?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any experiences with HealthNet before I decide on going with them?
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope it's OK to post this is medical.

I have to decide if I am going to go with my husband's coverage rather than my current coverage. At present, I get some coverage for prescriptions but nothing for the doctor etc..

I would really appreciate information from anyone who has had any experience, good or bad in getting coverage for lyme disease before I go with them.

After spending the last 1.5 hours on the phone with the insurance company it sounds like they have turned a few people down for coverage by saying that any treatment that is over 1 month is experiemental. [Eek!]

How they can get away with that is beyond me but apparently they do allow one to get what they call continuity of care where you can get coverage for whatever you are currently being treated for, for up to a year.

It all sounds very confusing to me but I have to decide soon so any experience from anyone would be very much appreciated.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HealthNet was great for me, they worked with my Lyme doc and paid for my Mepron for 2 years with no protests- $10 a bottle co-pay- and I was blood negative!! I have nothing but good to say about them.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Sarah!! That's good news.

Hopefully they haven't changed their policy since the IDSA has put out all their propoganda BS about chronic lyme.

I think I've read you say that you finished treatment 7 years ago? Is that when you were covered under them? Do they currently cover your abx? Sorry to be asking such personal questions here but please PM me if you'd prefer.

Thanks again. [group hug]
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had Healthnet Orange. The IV ABX one month limit is based on the IDSA saying that Lyme is cured after one month of IV ABX. I suspect that all insurance companies will use that standard, saves them big bucks.
I had no problem getting four months of Tetra-its generic and cheap and costs them little.
They place severe limits Zithro and Biaxin, and it might be hard to get several months worth
because they don't want to pay.
I was under Medicare D, so I don't know if that information is true for all Healthnet plans..

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Thanks for the info GC. Sorry you couldn't get more than a month of coverage for IV. [Frown] My medicare Plan D has paid for zith for a year without a complaint. In fact, they've never balked at paying for anything and they've never even asked for any info on my diagnosis.

From what I can tell, medicare plans can be very different from each other. I was on HealthNet Orange the first year of coverage under Part D. I wasn't getting lyme treatment then and they were still a nightmare to deal with. I kept calling them to get them to change some things, they said they would but never did even after numerous letters. ugh!!

If I go with my husbands insurance, medicare pays a premium to HealthNet and they take over. I'm not allowed to change back until open enrollment, next January.

According to medicare, the primary carrier depends on how many employees are under the company. Totally insane and bereft of logic. Makes a huge difference for me as to what is covered and what isn't, all based on if the employer has > 100 employees. Sheeessh!!

Terry

CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had Blue Shield when I got sick and they were horrible, horrible, for two years and then right after IV we switched to HealthNet for the next 2 years!!! Then switched to something else, Pacific care or something?, and actually came back to HealthNet 4 years ago. I am lucky though, all our local Lyme docs take insurance.
Insurances have always covered my Lyme docs AND all orals, Blue Shield flat refused to cover IV Rocephin. So I have HealthNet now, and it is good coverage.

Except- I had forgotten- sorry, I have ONE bad thing to say about them but it is minor-

The only problem I have ever had with them is a few years back I was trying to make a hole in a belt and had the bright idea of trying to use a sharp knife, and I nearly cut the top of my left index finger off, sliced it very deeply.

Well, I went to the ER and got it stitched back on and they sent papers and refused to cover it!! I asked why and they said that it was "out of area". I called them and explained it was at my very own home and in county and they made me repeat myself for half an hour until they said, "Oh, of course we'll cover it- it happened IN YOUR HOME!" I think they may have a policy of denying all ER claims because it was so weird and made so littel sense, but they DID cover it. Still, if I had NOT called they were going to deny it which is amazing frankly-

Anyway, overall, a good company, espeically compared to the Blues- Blue Shield & Blue Cross are both bad with Lyme-
Take care,
Sincerely,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry,

You want to find out if the plan is self-funded or fully insured.

Self-funded means your husbands employer pays all the claims and has the final say on all appeals. Fully insured means that the employer pays the insurance company a premium for each person on the plan and the insurance company makes all the decisions.

This is important to know because there is sometimes more flexibility on appeals if it is self-funded and the employer is sympathetic.

Insurance companies usually have very insurance friendly language in the plan describing experimental.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

CALyme - thanks so much for your input. I did talk to the company and they said they had denied several chronic lyme claims. I feel very nervous about going with them. My plan is an Oregon plan though and I suppose that could make a difference. It seems like CA is much more consumer friendly.

Aniek - thanks for the guidance. That's a good question. I've had both types and actually, it didn't seem to make much difference but that may have been because the employer was pretty cheap when it came to insurance. They were trying very hard to hold down costs and they were cheap with everyone.

Edited to add:
I found some interesting underwriting info about lyme and HealthNet. They won't take lyme patients if they have out of treatment for less than a year. After that they apply a surcharge, 50%, then a few years symptom free 20%, then after 5 years symptom free they give preferred status.

Of course this does not apply to those who will be included in an employer group plan.

Terry

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement