LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do ALL Lymies get yeast infections?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do ALL Lymies get yeast infections?
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. I have not had one at all .... not for over 25 years.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hostbody
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hostbody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I take antibiotics - I have a yeast infection.

What color is your tongue? If it is white, you

most likely have a yeast in your GI tract. When

this happens to me, I open the probiotic capsule

and pour it on my tongue and swish it around. It

was gross at first, but I've gotten use to it.

And for the females out there, you can open the

capsule, mix it with water (preferrably distilled)

and use it as a douche. Has worked better than

conventional medicine.

Posts: 111 | From York, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a yeast infection long before my Lyme treatment. Since Lyme treatment and taking good care with probiotics and diet I never had one.

A white tongue doesn't necessarily mean yeast. Mine is white but it's no yeast. I heard that it can also indicate a dysbiosis in your gut flora with bad bacteries dominating.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kman543210
Member # 14009

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kman543210     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only time during my treatment that I started to get a little fungus on my tongue was after starting IV Flagyl. After stopping, it went away, but I never had a major yeast problem and I just take a good probiotic. By the way, I also am NOT on a strict anti-sugar diet and still have not had yeast problems. Everyone is different, and a white film on the tongue does not mean yeast.
Posts: 20 | From Portland, OR | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. I've been on antibiotics continuously for five years and eat what I want.
Dave

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellie K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellie K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm stuffing with my face with milk duds as we speak [Big Grin]

I try to eat healthy but I get terrible sugar cravings. Been on abx since July 2007 and have not had the yeasties yet to my knowledge. Sometimes I feel like I have unusually bad breath-- baking soda tooth paste and a tongue scraper helped some. I have not had vaginal probs either.

I think it really does pay to be extra dedicated to your probiotics. I take two different brands each day, just to be safe.

Posts: 390 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost a long post to this thread arghhh!!!

I think anyone with a depressed immune system is likely to have problems with a systemic candida infection so yes, most lyme patients probably have it to some degree.

You may not have outward signs of systemic candida like a white tongue or vaginal symptoms. It is insidious. Symptoms overlap with lyme so you may think that all of your symptoms are TBI's when in actuality some or even a lot of them can be candida.

Years ago before I knew I had lyme and the first time I was ever muscle tested, I was told by my herbalist/muscle tester that I had systemic candida. I did not believe it and refused treatment. Finally I became desperate and went to the local Fred Meyers and got something to kill yeast just to see if it would have any affect. WOW did I have die off!!! After a year of treatment I had reduced my symptoms a great deal.

Not just abx cause systemic candida. Blood sugar abnormalities (diabetics are prone to candida), eating sugar, imbalanced gut bacteria, lack of oxygen in the body (probably common in TBI), depressed immune system (common in TBI) etc. etc.. My nephew was born with a problem because his mother had candida. Balancing his bacterial balance took away his colic when he was just a few months old!!

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT TERRY SAID!!!!

I think everyone on antibiotics should protect themselves from getting yeast. Once you get it, you'll be sorry you didn't take care of yourself.

Craving sweets is a HUGE indication that you could have yeast.

DIET is extremely important in protecting yourself from yeast and in GETTING WELL!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOPE NEVER*)!*)!!!!!!!!!!!! Not me!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I havent taken probitotics for the 8-9 months I have been on abx. No yeast infections that I am aware of.

I am not going to push my luck so I am starting back up.

The weird thing is that my GI tract seems annoyed now that I am taking probiotics,

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Terry .... you may not have outward symptoms that are obviously yeast (white tongue/vaginal discharge) yet still have yeast. The symptoms overlap those of Lyme Disease.

I know I do not have yeast because I am symptom-free AND have no yeast symptoms.

I also watch the sugar. At this point, I'm on fewer abx and do indulge occasionally, but it's not a daily thing for me.

I'm also still taking my probiotics, but I've cut back to only Theralac and Ultra Flora, I used to take VSL#3 as well.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by merrygirl:

The weird thing is that my GI tract seems annoyed now that I am taking probiotics

Melissa,

Maybe you are taking too much or the wrong kind. In the gut it's all about balance and one can get problems by taking too much probiotics, if your gut isn't missing that much of this kind.

I always thought that with probiotics it's the more the better. My doc precribed me a kind of probiotic that came in drops and told me to start slowly with 4 drops. Of course, I didn't listen and started with 10 drops. I can tell you that my GI tract was very displeased and told me so.

Some probiotics make me constipated, from some I get kind of diarrhea. Others are just fine. And this can change anytime - depending on the delicate balance in the gut.

I have a friend with lots of food allergies who cannot take ANY probiotics because she gets allergic reactions to them.

I'd try to take less or better try another kind of bacteria and start slowly.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think all Lymies with depressed TH1 response get some form of yeast.

I paid for an expensive stool test that said I didnt have yeast but at the same time I had no bifido friendlly bacteria.

I dont believe this because

A) I herx hard on anti-fungals
B) I react to mold
C) I react to things that feed yeast.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

I have a depressed TH1 response.

Had lots of different candida tests (2 times blood, 3 times stool, 2 times urine, 1 probe from my white tongue and at least 4 vaginal testings. All tests came back negative.

I don't react to any antifungal and I tried nearly all of them, I don't react to mold or to things that feed yeast.

Cannot really believe it myself but what more could I do?

Gabrielle

adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my tongue was always a little coated even before I got

Lyme, and I never had any yeast sx.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gaby, its possible that the yeast isint a big issue for you then. A depressed TH1 can cause a lot of different bacteria and viruses to become reactivated.

This is where I am now with my treatment. I am so desperate I really want to try the Marshall Proticol but my LLMD doesnt agree.

Im also scared that my blood pressure will get to low since I allready suffer from orthostatic hypotension. Low BP when standing.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did quite a bit of research on probiotics so I'll mention some of it here.

quote:
The weird thing is that my GI tract seems annoyed now that I am taking probiotics,
A reaction to supplementation with probiotics usually means that you are out of balance and you NEED them. As your gut flora comes into balance, bad bacteria die and you can have a reaction. Probiotics can also cause a detoxification reaction. Friendly bacteria bind with some unwanted substances, causing them to be excreted. One study concluded that probiotics stimulate production of natural antibodies.

As six has mentioned before, a huge part of the immune system is in the gut so you can imagine how important it is to keep your gut in balance.

Several studies show that lactobacilli inhibits or kills H. pylori. Good bacteria in the gut protects us against potential pathogens by a mechanism called 'colonization resistance'. When the gastrointestinal tract is colonized with enough beneficial bacteria, it prevents the pathogenic, disease causing bacteria from taking hold.

There are many strains of bacteria that are considered probiotic but not all of them have been extensively studied, however based on many years of use all over the world, probiotics in general are considered safe.

Most probiotic strains of bacteria are non-pathogenic (non-disease causing) however caution should be used in those who have conditions that seriously compromise their immune system such as in someone with aids or in newborns who are seriously ill.

Infection with Lactobacilli or Bifidobacteria is rare. Saccharomyces Boulardii could become pathogenic in some people who have compromised immune systems.

Systemic candida inefections are very difficult to get rid of. As tutu said, diet is a very important factor but other measures are needed too like antifungals, enzymes to break down the cell walls etc.. Balancing gut flora is a small part of dealing with a systemic infection. Taking probiotics alone will not get rid of a systemic yeast infection.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no outward signs of Candida. I have been religious about taking probiotics since day one.

My LLMD tells me there is no lab test that is really good at diagnosing systemic candida. It should be a clinical diagnosis (hmmm...sounds familiar)

But something changed after Bicillin shots. I don't know if this can make you more susceptible to systemic candida, but I now have an extremely hard time with abx, where as before I herxed differently, now it is like my body instantly rejects abx and wild herxes begin.

I have talked w/ another member who said she did much better handling abx after being treated for systemic candida.

I am pursuing this with my LLMD at my next visit, as I truly believe that bypassing the gut with IM or IV can cause yeast issues outside the gut in the bloodstream. This is my theory and I don't know if it is true.

I have had new symptoms, old symptoms, odd symptoms and honestly, it doesn't feel like the Lyme I knew.

I believe it was Schaller that said in one of his articles anyone on antibiotics absolutely need to be on diflucan or nystatin.(Don't think Nystatin crosses into blood)

When yeast crosses into the bloodstream, it can mimic LD.

In Buhner's book he mentions that neuro lymies not improving on traditional treatment, were put on 25 days of diflucan and ALL responded and were considered well.

Makes one wonder when LD could be gone and systemic candida is the issue.

I also herx like crazy on a recommended OTC yeast supp "NOW Candida Clear" (higly recommended or threelac at a reputable candida site) which tells me, I am on the right track with pursuing systemic candida, something is up.

Symptoms of Yeast Syndrome
(from: http://www.med-library.net/content/view/461/41/ )

Fatigue or lethargy
Feeling of being drained
Depression or manic depression
Numbness, burning, or tingling
Headaches
Muscle Aches
Muscle weakness or paralysis
Pain and/or swelling in joints
Abdominal Pain
Constipation and/or diarrhea
Bloating, belching or intestinal gas
Troublesome vaginal burning, itching or discharge in women
Prostatitis in men
Impotence
Loss of sexual desire or feeling
Endometriosis or infertility
Cramps and/or other menstrual irregularities
Premenstrual tension
Attacks of anxiety or crying
Cold hands or feet, low body temperature
Hypothyroidism
Shaking or irritable when hungry
Cystitis or interstitial cystitis
Drowsiness
Irritability
Poor coordination
Frequent mood swings
Insomnia
Dizziness/loss of balance
Pressure above ears...feeling of head swelling
Sinus problems...tenderness of cheekbones or forehead
Tendency to bruise easy
Eczema, itching eyes
Psoriasis
Chronic hives (urticaria)
Indigestion or heartburn
Sensitivity to milk, wheat, corn or other common foods
Mucous in stools
Rectal itching
Dry mouth or throat
Mouth rashes including white tongue
Bad breath
Foot, hair, or body odor not relieved by washing
Nasal congestion or post nasal drip
Nasal itching
Sore throat
Laryngitis, loss of voice
Cough or recurrent bronchitis
Pain or tightness in chest
Wheezing or shortness of breath
Urinary frequency or urgency
Burning on urination
Spots in front of eyes or erratic vision
Burning or tearing eyes
Recurrent infections or fluid in ears
Ear pain or deafness
Inability to concentrate
Skin problems (hives, athlete's foot, fungus infection of the nails, jock itch, psoriasis (including of the scalp) or other chronic skin rashes)
Gastrointestinal symptoms (constipation, abdominal pain, diarrhea, gas, or bloating)
Symptoms involving the reproductive organs
Muscular and nervous system symptoms (including aching or swelling in your muscles and joints, numbness, burning or tingling, muscle weakness or paralysis)
Recurrent ear problems resulting in antibiotic therapy
Respiratory symptoms
Lupus
Hyperactivity/Attention Deficit Disorder
Recurrent vaginal yeast infections in women
High sugar foods drastically increase symptoms
Inflammation of the hair follicles (candidiasis folliculitis) of various parts of the body (feet, legs, arms)
Extreme lethargy
Diarrhea, chronic gas, abdominal cramps alleviated by bowel movements. Perhaps labeled with the term "irritable bowel syndrome"
Lactose intolerance
Anxiety
Allergies and allergy symptoms, chemical sensitivities
Panic attacks
Sinus problems
Eye fatigue
Muscle weakness and bone pain
White tongue coating
Psoriasis/seborrheic dermatitis/dandruff, dry, itchy skin
Rectal itching
Swollen lips/face
Symptoms worse after waking
Facial rash
Avoiding food helps to alleviate symptoms
Hives
Chronic inflammation and irritation of the eye and conjunctiva
Feeling of being intoxicated which leads to a "hangover feeling" (due to fermentation and alcohol production by yeast)
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

[ 09. February 2008, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: lymebytes ]

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone feel it is a good idea to rotate probiotics? I'm currently doing that, I must have had at least 8 different kinds now. It seems to help me quite a bit, but it so hard to really know. Also what am I tinkering with?

I saw something interesting when I was looking into Dr. Trevor Marshall's site. A discourse on how microbiota works in the gut. They took the microbiota from a thin mouse and substituted it in a fat mouse. You can guess, it turned the fat mouse into a thin mouse. The bacteria in our gut to some degree makes us who we are and how our metabolism works. The total process of how our body chemistry works. It may have an effect on TH1 performance or over performance. Microbiota is an organization and somehow we have re-organized that organization. We probably feel best when the organization is what it was prior to getting ill.

So probiotic rotation is something you probably do over the long haul hoping to get lucky. So I guess that's been my approach over the last year.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement